Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fastest 3D-Printer in the World

Posted by Kolbi 
Re: Fastest 3D-Printer in the World
January 25, 2017 04:14PM
I had 12 loops skirt, 4p & 4 layers top & bottom and 1mm z hop Dzzzt zzzt Does not compute, slower seems faster.
January 25, 2017 04:20PM
And these sound like excellent settings for high quality prints, but I think to get on the podium here it's throwing that out of the window, which is I think quite alien to most of us who populate this forum.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
January 25, 2017 04:24PM
I dont follow what you mean, I thought I was printing slow/normal with Cartesian, and I laid down 3x as much material(neatly) in less than 3 times the speed of a delta thats supposed(looked fast to me) to be running fast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2017 04:26PM by MechaBits.
January 25, 2017 04:35PM
Okay I see what you're saying but the aim was to make the object as fast as possible. It's an interesting angle to view the problem from but I think it's just a curiosity what takes the time isn't squirting out the filament, it's making the moves. I'm quite sure I can lay down 28g of filament in a lot less than 2hrs15mins by printing a solid cube. In fact certain of it as the infill (there would be a lot of it as a proportion of the object), could go at the theoretical maximum melt capability of my hot end.

I'm willing to try it if you want me to, if you'll try the ultra lightweight settings and see how long it takes. Not bothered about videos and all that nonsense I'll take your word for it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2017 04:38PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
January 25, 2017 04:43PM
DjDemonD
it's run its course for me

Sorry my bad english again, does this mean you will not try anymore? Would be pitty, with small modifications you could print far below 40min.

Homepage
January 25, 2017 04:46PM
I think I'm saying I have given it a go but I am not certain I agree with your conditions and as you said it's your thread so I withdraw from the challenge.

Simon Khoury

January 25, 2017 05:02PM
Ok, then how would your conditions look like?

Homepage
January 25, 2017 05:13PM
I think I've already said, any fdm 3d printer is okay, a simple image of the object printed with a time, and an explanation of your settings. No one on here is going to cheat, no one cares enough. If you proposed a most accurate or most beautiful object contest you'd get a lot more people interested that's what we care about.

Simon Khoury

January 25, 2017 05:25PM
Dj No am pretty sure you can, if I can you can, but I'm still missing something somehow the comparison doesnt compute, mine was 25% infill, my accel is probably way down too, seems a logical comparison to me but I must be missing something still.

Kolbi Does the thing that was printed badly have a use? how many times have you printed that thing? Does it have a use if printed well?
if not shame on you, design(print) less junk.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2017 05:30PM by MechaBits.
January 25, 2017 05:59PM
Mechabits, I see your logic but I think *puts on best Obi-wan Kenobe voice* its just a different point of view. I'd say to print that object nicely 2hrs15mins sounds somewhere between about right and a decent time to do it in. What I and others have done is produce a really scrappy print that's basically functional (as a thing that clips to another thing), as quickly as possible, partly by cutting corners (low infill, fewer perimeters etc...) and partly by using as fast travel and printing moves as we could without losing control of the print head.

I think its trying to measure it by mass that's the different point of view. For the purposes of this challenge I couldn't care less if it weighed 100g or 0.1g, just that it looks like the thing I sliced and fits into the other one. Are you using ABS? What's it density? l print a fair bit in PETG and that's a lot denser than ABS/PLA, the same object printed with the same settings in PETG would have been 18g not 12g!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2017 06:00PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

January 25, 2017 06:15PM
No I know what you guys did I saw the pics, I suppose thats what I was missing weight of material, not volume/density/mass ...complicated...i'm just using PLA, if I bumped speed up so it did it in 1hr id have a 3x as heavy part in the same amount of time...confuzzled. i'm sure it will become clear at some point.
January 25, 2017 06:25PM
MechaBits
No I know what you guys did I saw the pics, I suppose thats what I was missing weight of material, not volume/density/mass ...complicated...i'm just using PLA, if I bumped speed up so it did it in 1hr id have a 3x as heavy part in the same amount of time...confuzzled. i'm sure it will become clear at some point.

Yes, I can't quite figure that one out. It seems like a reasonable sort of comparison, but somehow I suspect it isn't. Maybe the print time is heavily influenced by the number of retractions (especially if you Z hop), and those are probably a constant number per layer, independent of the number of perimeters and density of infill. That's a pretty hand-wavy, vague sort of explanation though smiling smiley

Whatever we think of the details of Kolbi's 'competition', his thread has provoked some interesting thoughts and ideas, and I'm grateful for that.
January 25, 2017 06:41PM
If you bumped the speed up but kept your settings the same you wouldn't be very likely to print it in 1 hour your machine would have had to cover lot more distance in the same amount of time and so would have had to go 3 times faster than mine did.

Simon Khoury

January 25, 2017 06:56PM
I think the part you guys are printing probably has more retractions than mine? more intricate

Dj nope sorry my heads to frazzled to figure it out, I thought my logic & math was good enough,
If I bumped it up, i'd have to go about 2.5 times, I'll end up with a rougher part, dont know if i can push it that far not tried(one day),
but it would be same weight as slower one, my slicer says 8129.5mm of filament used 25g not 29 that was other part

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2017 07:14PM by MechaBits.
January 25, 2017 07:20PM
Edit, sorry this was unintentionally vague, I keep forgetting that the forum contracts internet links. The following is a link to the Thingiverse 'make' page for my go at the test object:

[www.thingiverse.com] if anyone is interested.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2017 08:49PM by JamesK.
January 25, 2017 07:42PM
JamesK

approx 36mm/s linear

eye popping smiley I need an emoticon with bigger eyes, actually popping out of my head! That filament will be racing through the extruder! There's no way in hell any of my hotends could keep up with that.

I think you win, so far grinning smiley
January 25, 2017 08:47PM
nebbian
JamesK

approx 36mm/s linear

eye popping smiley I need an emoticon with bigger eyes, actually popping out of my head! That filament will be racing through the extruder! There's no way in hell any of my hotends could keep up with that.

I think you win, so far grinning smiley

Ah, I may have phrased that badly. I didn't mean 36mm/s of filament input, I meant 36mm/s head speed. I'll edit the text (where's the embarrassed smiley when you need it?)

On the other hand, when I use the big nozzles with 1.75mm filament you should see the work out that the extruder gets!
January 26, 2017 05:46AM
Hi,
just for fun i run my printer in crazy high speed to see what's happen !
So this is the link for youtube :
[youtu.be]

I started my print at 200mm/s, 6000 in acceleration and 2000 in jerck, i increase the speed progressively to 350 % in the 2 last mm. The print is not really clean but i was surprise it finish ! Quality really started to degrade after 300mm/s
Filament is PS from OWA3D and can be print at amazing speed. Nozzle is 0.4 mm and layer high 0.2
Print finished in 32 min.

Makerbot replicator 2
SMOOBEX (cubex mod with smoothieboard)
CubexUpgrade.com
Corexykit.com (en construction)
Attachments:
open | download - 20170126_095046_resized.jpg (533.3 KB)
January 26, 2017 05:53AM
MechaBits
Kolbi Does the thing that was printed badly have a use?

Seems you havent take a look at the video yet. It clicks well, and is very stable.

MechaBits
if not shame on you, design(print) less junk.

Translates not very friendly... why do you call a functional piece with nice high-speed overhangs junk? Make it better and faster, but even then it is not very friendly to call other prints junk.

JamesK
Maybe the print time is heavily influenced by the number of retractions (especially if you Z hop)

You got the point. Screw spindles like on many z axes make retracts very slow. I have 0.3mm Z-retract with 500mm/s @ 15000mm/s².

JamesK
his thread has provoked some interesting thoughts and ideas

Agreed, a friendly competition is conducive to the development

http://www.thingiverse.com/make:293077

Printing 0.5mm layers instead of 0.2 means 2.5times faster.
My 38min/2.5 = 15,2 minutes with my speed setting.
This means you must have printed with faster speeds than my printer can do...

So if i havent made a math error, then its a fake!

If you can post a video, the title is yours.

Homepage
January 26, 2017 06:18AM
Tyugo
So this is the link for youtube :
[youtu.be]

Hi Tyugo, thanks for joining the contest!

The more, the more fun smiling smiley

Looks very nice and fast, but, apologies for my criticism, its not perfectly proof.

Its very easy to record cound with mic, then lay it over 2x fast video.

Therefor your MOUTH MOVEMENTS have to be seen, this is much harder to fake. Also dont be shy like me, compared to my face everyone looks like an adonis grinning smiley

But i saw the ending with the video program. This seems clever, but is fakeable too, so i will have an accurate look on the frames when the video download has finished.
If it seems to be real, then it will be seen as true from my side!

Tyugo
6000 in acceleration and 2000 in jerck

Travel or Print acceleration?

2000 Jerk??? This means also your acceleration ramp will start with 2000mm/s instead of 0, how can this work?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2017 06:20AM by Kolbi.

Homepage
January 26, 2017 06:47AM
Sorry for your skepticism, but if you want a live i can do it and directly beat your record from 10min by setup the printer to 400mm/s instead of 200 !!! ;-)

The printer is driver by a duetwifi with the last edge firmware from DC42 so you can congratulate him for this amazing speed, otherwise those combo jerk and accel works because my setup is really light (don't ask my the weigh, i don't remember) and i've disacctivate microstepping interpolation in my config, motors run in 16x mode so my max speed should be far from those value... Of courses values given are for print speed.

more speed, more fun ;-)

Makerbot replicator 2
CubexUpgrade.com
January 26, 2017 06:53AM
After watching frame by frame with VLC, i am just more thinking its a fake, because of two reasons:

1.) You stream the video to a PC live, but at 28:15, there is no delay in stream, on the contrary: Your video can see the future!

Here is a screenshot, in the main video, the monitor cant be seen fully, but on the monitor screen you can see the whole monitor:

This can mean: Its a fake, you recorded a other video earlyer thats shown on the monitor
OR
You have a absolutely delay free transmission to the pc, and the aspect ratios from the final video were cut alot. But then, point 2 prooves the fake:

2.) A few frames later it happens, somehow all the movements are asyncronous, and there is no solid delay no matter how often i count. If i count 5 frames delay there are errors, if i count 10 frames delay there are errors, and so on.

I do not have any idea how this delay magic could happen to a real video, does anybody else have?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2017 07:06AM by Kolbi.

Homepage
January 26, 2017 07:15AM
Don't understand what you mean ??? Put a mirror in front of a mirror there is no delay !!!

Do you want a live ???

Makerbot replicator 2
CubexUpgrade.com
January 26, 2017 07:16AM

Printing 0.5mm layers instead of 0.2 means 2.5times faster.
My 38min/2.5 = 15,2 minutes with my speed setting.
This means you must have printed with faster speeds than my printer can do...on

So if i havent made a math error, then its a fake!

If you can post a video, the title is yours.

Kolbi, I'm trying very hard to find positives in your contribution and make allowances both for translation difficulties and your obvious excess of enthusiasm, but I would suggest that you refrain from suggesting people are lying if you want to make any friends on this forum. I have already said I'm not interested in wasting my time making videos to claim your foolish 'fastest' printer title. Your math is fine but your understanding of filament extrusion seems limited. I suggest you work out your extrusion rate in mm3/s and compare it to mine, then the difference will likely be clearer to you. You should also consider that we may have extruded both at a different rate and also a different total volume of plastic. With 0.5 x 1.2mm wide extrusion I only need a single perimeter and no infill to make the model sufficiently strong to use.

Please do us all a favour and try and behave a little more like an adult on this forum. You'll fit in much better that way.
VDX
January 26, 2017 07:23AM
... here's a video from the "DICE" testing printing speeds (travel speeds can be up to >800mm/s)

[www.youtube.com]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 26, 2017 07:31AM
+1 James. Couldn't have put it better myself.

It doesn't really matter its just a bit of context, but I'd be willing to bet the average age of the contributors to this forum (certainly those with hundreds/thousands of posts) is surely 40+ so it can safely be assumed not that many people here are interested in racing contests and accusations of cheating.

Kolbi - I am you might be surprised to hear NOT disappointed to now be in third place - I couldn't care less. But Tyugo seems to have the fastest machine now, so I suggest you go back to the lab and work on your machine rather than accusing him of cheating. I think if you had began this thread by saying you wanted to see how fast your machine was, and that you believe it to be fast we would get that - but you've set yourself up for a fall, by claiming that your common-or-garden rostock delta is the fastest 3D printer in the world - this is unlikely to be the case. Its quick but others seem to be quicker. And if we cared enough to really spend time engineering for extreme speed you can bet some of the people here, who invented the technology you now use, would achieve something amazing. But they are much more concerned with quality and innovation.

I am not following this thread any more but I am quite happy to start a new one for those who were, who wish to discuss techniques for improving printing at speed without any childish contests.

Simon Khoury

January 26, 2017 07:37AM
JamesK

Please do us all a favour and try and behave a little more like an adult on this forum. You'll fit in much better that way.

+1 nothing to add there

got a 31:35 min yesterday evening with my beiwagerl, an no, i don`t made a movie picture or something else, people who saw the printer in real life will know that i never talk bullshit (like some other).

and to VDX`s post of the DICE, i believe a good calibrated DICE can break the 30min easily with no doubt.

and last but not least Definition of benchmarking
Still there have to be rules when running a contest, just take a look at computer gaming benchmarks, or Car racing leagues like formel 1, 24h Le Mans, ect ...

Nothing more to talk here so far.

chri

[chrisu02.wordpress.com] Quadmax Intel Delid Tools
January 26, 2017 08:06AM
Please do not understand me wrong, i just try to keep it simple and true, i will not make any judgement about anybody if he/she is a bad person.

All i do is try to understand what my eye is seeing.

Cheating is a very efficient way to reach a goal, therefor i already said this is a serious thread, this means claims without proof are OFF TOPIC and NOT SERIOUS!

JamesK
I have already said I'm not interested in wasting my time making videos to claim your foolish 'fastest' printer title.

Then its OT, feel free to make a proove free contest, i will join for fun and print anything in under 1min. Faking is much easyer than building a fast machine.

VDX
... here's a video from the "DICE" testing printing speeds (travel speeds can be up to >800mm/s)

Would be great if it could join the contest!

Chri
got a 31:35 min yesterday evening with my beiwagerl, an no, i don`t made a movie picture or something else

OT without proove

There will be a ranking if serious videos occur, i too will try to make better videos.

Today i made a 0.7mm nozzle, and will try 0.5 layers without infill, then the snap and break test. With a bit luck i can make the video in one part with my handy, and hopefully it will be seen as true by everyone. Stay tuned!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2017 08:10AM by Kolbi.

Homepage
January 26, 2017 10:22AM
Dont take me the wrong way either, I understand how humour/sarcasm might not translate, but what I meant by Junk is Printing stuff that has no use, and printing stuff that goes in the bin, (Following my #OceanRescue / Benchy Thread) Sure these things may have a use to you, they work ie lock into each other but what the hell are they they look like nodes which could be very useful for something I just havent figured out what.

I'd be far more interested in seeing what you've made with the lathe...wish I had one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2017 10:24AM by MechaBits.
January 26, 2017 10:46AM
Well, it's not what I would call pretty, but it does interlock. 40:43 is good enough for me.

I'd never send it to a customer, but I guess now I can say that I have a fast printer smiling smiley

Thanks for posting this challenge, I've learnt a lot about how to tune for speed. I was surprised to see the effect of acceleration on corners (as the effector slows down for a corner, the stored force in the bowden releases a blob). Maybe I need to start looking at pressure advance.

Printed on a Kossel Mini running Repetier on RAMPS, most speeds around 80mm/s, acceleration at 6000, jerk at 20, layer height 0.3mm, extrusion width 0.5mm, nozzle 0.3mm, printed in blue HIPS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2017 10:48AM by nebbian.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login