Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What extruder works out of the box?

Posted by Tramagust 
What extruder works out of the box?
February 19, 2011 11:33AM
I'm really really tired of my home made extruder failing constantly. I need a turnkey solution before I lose my mind What's a good extruder that works out of the box with 3mm filament? Any store selling it in Europe?
Re: What extruder works out of the box?
February 19, 2011 12:19PM
Take a look at RepRap-Fab.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
February 19, 2011 02:07PM
what parts are failing? I have been through the same experience. The hot end is the most error prone and critical component. The filament drives usually work well and when they don't it's still due to something in the hot end.

I have 2 hot ends that are the adrians stepper-hot end v4 design which I think are a really good design. One of them works reliably the other one is untested.

I'm currently running the arcol.hu v3 hot end which I think is the best one I've run across including all the Makerbot versions. The only criticism I've heard about it is that people say it's over-engineered, fine by me... I was sick of the hot end issues.

both designs are excellent, but can be difficult to get. My tested version of the adrians v4 is from bryan reif* he doesn't actively make and sell them though. The other one is from mendel-parts.com and they have extreme delays. I think my delay was a little over 1 month. the arcol.hu one you need to order from their site, contact laszlo to find out when he's making another batch.

One other thing to take note of is the x cairrage... the adrians v4 hot end peek block will only go in one way, on a wades filament drive it's perpendicular. For the arcol.hu v3 hot end it fits well in a Prusa Mendel but won't fit at all in the standard mendel x carraige without some serious tweaking and replacing of parts.

I hope that helps some... if you are evaluating other solutions I have a few tips:

1. Stay away from designs that rely on PTFE threads for any structural integrity.
2. Don't mess with nichrome wire.
3. You want to heat as low as possible and keep the filament cool as low as possible.
4. pay attention to cable management, the arcol.hu is the only one I've seen that considered this in the design.
February 20, 2011 06:26AM
Everything fails. It drives me crazy. The hotend and the extruder drive itself.
Arcol seems nice altough that lasercut wood makes me nervous. I've seen a makerbot and it's ripped wood problems.

What about extruders? I have a friend with an up that can print me accurate stuff but I have a wade variant right now and the thing is nothing but trouble. I'm pretty sure it's my fault but for the life of me I can't figure out what I did wrong and I'm tired

What about the makergear stuff? Is that any good? It's cheap enough to ship to europe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2011 07:13AM by Tramagust.
February 20, 2011 10:22AM
MakerGear stuff is great. I have a MakerGear hot end, it's 100% reliable. I use a Wade's filament feed with it and haven't had any issues at all.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
February 20, 2011 10:24AM
I can sugjest Makergear stuff. How did you mange to mess up a wades? Did you not hob your bolt right?

Tramagust Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Everything fails. It drives me crazy. The hotend
> and the extruder drive itself.
> Arcol seems nice altough that lasercut wood makes
> me nervous. I've seen a makerbot and it's ripped
> wood problems.
>
> What about extruders? I have a friend with an up
> that can print me accurate stuff but I have a wade
> variant right now and the thing is nothing but
> trouble. I'm pretty sure it's my fault but for the
> life of me I can't figure out what I did wrong and
> I'm tired
>
>
> What about the makergear stuff? Is that any good?
> It's cheap enough to ship to europe.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
February 20, 2011 10:26AM
Probably. The wade part is what gives me the least trouble. The hotend is torture.
February 20, 2011 09:59PM
I suggest getting a hold of the Adrians v4 hot end. The best way to connect that hot end will be to an adrians extruder block, but that part isn't AS important.

The Makergear stuff is good quality on a design that has been around for a while and people consider mature. I'm sure Rick from Makergear would be happy to work with you.

I personally think the Adrians v4 hot end has several improvements over that design and is more likely to be successful. I don;t know of any real criticisms people have on that design, they just thing the complexity is unnecessary.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login