Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fatalities from laser sinter printer at home?

Posted by DragonFire 
Fatalities from laser sinter printer at home?
January 28, 2017 05:18PM
Details are sketchy to say the least, but this WILL have an impact on reprap image...

[www.nydailynews.com]

And yea, it is written. "Thou shalt use pre-calcined powder for sinter use, or thou wilt get toxic fumes." That's my guess.

However, others have pointed out, the "Glowforge" laser cutter/engraver was marketed as a "laser 3D printer". Cutters give out fumes much more than sinter 3d printers. Can be toxic, especially with organics like rubber, leather. (don't do it). That's why material gets sold as "laser safe".

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2017 05:28PM by DragonFire.
Re: Fatalities from laser sinter printer at home?
January 29, 2017 03:38AM
I have trouble believing this, I just dont theirs been plenty of testing and dont recall high levels of carbon monoxide being mentioned. but its easy to test with a arduino and an CO sensor.

think i missed something where its mentioned "laser sinter printer " in the article

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2017 05:32AM by jinx.
January 29, 2017 06:02AM
This is a complete a utter fabrication

It was a laser cutter not a 3d printer at all

Justified Rant from 3d printing nurd [www.youtube.com]

I dont know if this is related but there are several material that you should not laser cut. Sadly a lot of people do not know this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2017 06:06AM by Dust.
January 29, 2017 07:46AM
Well, I admit there is something strange about the whole story. It's very "gappy", as though cops were trying to find a cause for CO, couldn't find one, and then just blamed the machine they could not understand.

Venting on laser cutters on unsafe material is an issue, but that's a LOT of CO. It came from somewhere. Usual cause is faulty central heating unit, but apparently not checked? I guess Californians don't use them a lot. Don't need them mostly.

I really do not know, and I don't think me guessing is going to help. The people are still dead. RIP.
January 29, 2017 07:57AM
Trouble is, if you're burning any fuel you have the risk of creating CO, especially if it's an incomplete burn (insufficient oxygen). I don't know how prone laser cutters are to generating CO, but almost every data sheet I've seen emphasises the need for good ventilation.
January 29, 2017 11:18AM
Just had a note from somebody that knew the couple - apparently they had both laser cutter and a 3D printer, but small scale, and the safety investigation isn't completed yet, so this is media just jumping on leaked partial information.
January 29, 2017 12:44PM
this must be what they mean as "Alternative facts" in trump nation
VDX
January 30, 2017 06:51PM
[www.3ders.org]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 31, 2017 05:28AM
False news created by incompetent and ignorant journalists and authorities never really completely dies. Look at the first 3 photos in this link dated November 2016 [www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk]

Mike
January 31, 2017 07:15AM
Hmmm... does not matter. Evidence is weird, you only really need enough to show intent, and capability, in England and Wales. Sorry. I'm not saying it's fair to 3D printing, but some people do try to make really nasty machines with robots, and unless you're big enough to protect your own means of production as in "nation state", that is a crime, in most "nation states". Many posters might be baffled at that, but I really don't want to go into details or discuss things like that. Obviously because I'm in England and Wales.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2017 07:15AM by DragonFire.
January 31, 2017 04:00PM
I have plans to turn my bed into a 3D Printer, but I am a little worried, of fire's and it crushing me against the ceiling
[www.treehugger.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login