Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Turn you 3D Printer into a Rail Gun

Posted by MechaBits 
Re: Turn you 3D Printer into a Rail Gun
April 14, 2017 06:01PM
Whats goin on with EDIT for threads...has it got shorter?

DSC00227.jpg
DSC00233.jpg

With the Bed Completed, and bits left over thought i'd try another idea out, to get rid of dual z leadscrews, I wanted a ZX axis arrangement mounted hanging center, I could mount on a shelf or the cube, that I could place bed under. With no more parts than I had already available I got this far(though would rather have used the 12mm rail modules from other printer, or wait for even more stuff from china), now to design some custom parts to make it neater(black running out soon), need to mount small motor on x(though yet to try these out dont know how hot they get ), and another on top of Z, ideally with more metal than plastic. gt2 at bottom of z is only there as a stop, might use another blue coupler or get a drill stop.

Or figure out another way before I start using the last of the black, would like a nice piece of 80x20 or 80x40 and make a Z with that.
Was going to use another rail I have already mounted on 3030 for the X, but thought I would try a lighter version out.

KeyStudio Ramps not sure how to configure which mobo version (no real docs/users on web),

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2017 09:04PM by MechaBits.
VDX
April 14, 2017 06:34PM
MechaBits
Whats goin on with EDIT for threads...has it got shorter?

... not recently - should be more than two years, when I've limited the edit span for two days ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 14, 2017 07:06PM
strange I thought I could edit a little longer, seems longer sometimes,
would be better if you could edit till at least till a new post was made.
Hey Ho now I know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2017 06:41AM by MechaBits.
VDX
April 14, 2017 07:23PM
... it's a global setting in minutes, no options for more "intelligence".

I can set it for a longer time, but two days seems to be enough for most cases ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 15, 2017 02:30PM

We interrupt this Broadcast due to Technical Difficulties

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2017 12:03AM by MechaBits.

April 15, 2017 09:07PM
They Control the Horizontal & the Vertical, they leave me alone with the Zzzz
The Aliens made contact, to tell me if I start up the Infinity Cube & The Rail Gun at the same time,
things may never be the same again, they advise to stop any further work on either machine, as it violates patents held off-world, &
will result in a de-fabrication of space & time. So on April the 1st we decided to mothball the projects, destroy the plans, and end transmission of the research around the globe.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2017 07:46PM by MechaBits.
April 28, 2017 06:54AM
Wont be long before this guy gets contacted by the Aliens for his Inter-Dimensional Weapon

[www.3ders.org]
This Guy obviously has a lot of Time to Kill.
July 02, 2017 04:37PM
Work on the Rail Gun might be on the backburner, but the Sights & Positioning systems are coming together. Replacing the GREY pla Cage for the Metal one,
and probably replacing the plastic motor mounts for metal ones and the ideal contender is this one, [www.ebay.co.uk] as its the cheapest, but there is another more expensive one that has slots instead of holes for compatibility with more motors.
Mechabits%2BRailGun%2BRunner%2B0503.jpg

Mechabits%2BGimbal%2B0481.jpg
Mechabits%2BGimbal%2B0480.jpg

Mechabits%2BGimbal%2B0478.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2017 07:07AM by MechaBits.
July 03, 2017 11:23PM
Mechabits%2BGimbal0534.JPG
Mechabits%2BGimbal0539.jpg
Mechabits%2BGimbal0544.jpg
Still a few more variations to try out, ideally need to change the lightweight L plate position to camera cradle, and have beefy arca's for the main arm(or double up the cheap L Brackets), trouble is I would rather all axis where just an L rather than another U shape, but trickier to balance, maybe when everything's in place I can design custom L Bracket to reduce weight , if I can do away with camera cradle needing support both ends i'll be happy but its all down to the motor choice.

Mechabits%2BGimbal%2B0607.jpg
Mechabits%2BGimbal%2B0612.jpg
Mechabits%2BGimbal%2B0615.jpg
And the Black roll still Rolls on...down to last few meters...will be sad to see the last roll of Excelvan go, printed 3 new parts for the gimbal cage passive pivot, a little room for adjustment for different lenses, just ordered another Arca for left side replacing the 200mm one for a 140mm, brings camera back closer to motor, even though the motor is coping with the weight from the long cantilever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2017 07:21AM by MechaBits.
July 06, 2017 03:53PM

[www.dezeen.com]

OK OK i'll stop work on the Device
July 21, 2017 09:42AM
Built a Pocket rail Gun(with radar sight) while waiting for more parts to arrive mostly arca plates so I can neaten & improve, was going to replace the L plates for all Arca, but may end up using them as corner strengtheners, I have a little time to test out a few ideas, different bearing arrangements for each axis if I decided to support axis alternate ways, and playing with the idea of belt driven arrangements, I doubt any will make it to final design, maybe one will, but they might be useful for other things in the future.

Mechabits0656.JPG
Mechabits0661.JPG
Mechabits0662.JPG
Mechabits0663.JPG
July 21, 2017 11:57PM
Just spotted something that I think must be useful for something.
[www.ebay.co.uk]

Any suggestions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2017 11:59PM by MechaBits.
July 22, 2017 03:17AM
a spool holder! how big is it
July 22, 2017 09:00AM
Yeah good idea, 2 spools, i think its about 29 inches wide, easy hold some reels, maybe even 2 each side.
Seems like a lot of work/metal for £30. I was thinking the main CNC part's could make a good Gantry/end cheeks and some extra's.
August 05, 2017 08:54AM

Shaved a few Grams off the Design, new plates finally arrived, Strong & Stable, a very manageable weight.
August 06, 2017 03:54PM
A slightly different config, moved pivot point to other side and brought it closer to motor to distribute the weight and reduce load on bearings a little. Might need it to be a little further away to allow full rotation depending on lens. Not sure the total weight but seems very manageable. I could shave a little more weight off it, by removing the cheap L plate as it seems strong enough without, and the arca on the right could go too, but to bring lens center inline with motor a little more weight to the right isnt a bad thing. About £100 without motors, another £400 on the rest of it brings it inline with the Crane but should be able to handle bigger loads & more configurable.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2017 04:16PM by MechaBits.
November 13, 2017 02:44AM
Looks like someone's stole the plans, the Aliens will be probing his cavities soon.

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login