Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re-Arm, any experiences?

Posted by sungod3k 
Re: Re-Arm, any experiences?
March 05, 2017 11:18PM
I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but all of the voltages on my trimpots dropped by .2 volts when I switched from the mega to the Re-Arm. Once I got my X and Y moving properly, my rather heavy Z bed would only move down, not up. With the arduino mega, the trim pots were reading 0.57 volts and working good. Now with the Re-Arm, the Z pot was reading 0.39v. I thought that was odd and checked the others, and they all had similar values. I cranked the Z axis back up to 0.6v and the Z bed moves up just fine now. I'm not an electrical engineer, anyone know why the voltage would drop that much switching?

Edit: Wild guess, but the ratio of my stepper readings of 0.39v/0.57v is awfully close to ratio between the new boards logic voltage 3.3v/5v of the Arduino. Is that a correct guess?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2017 11:50PM by Pheneeny.
March 06, 2017 01:56AM
You can find out by probing the VIO pin on one of the drivers.
March 07, 2017 09:39AM
How is everyone controlling their Re-Arm?

Do you have a graphical LCD attached to it? Using the Ethernet adapter? Or using a computer connected up using Octoprint / Repetier host?

Interested to hear how you guys have set it up.
March 07, 2017 09:54AM
PC via pronterface is quite reliable. I have found octoprint works but getting it to connect takes a few goes.

I have a reprap discount full graphics display, but not very impressed theres quite a lot of screen real estate and little of it used.
-cycles between E0, E1 temps and Bed Temps - not on screen simultaneously
-fan speed isnt shown, just a fan icon spinning when fans on.

Web interface, I've got it working installed (268Mb!!!) version from smoothie site, not really used it yet.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
March 07, 2017 12:55PM
I have the graphical LCD, the Ethernet module, and octopi setup right now. Last night I spent a bunch of time hammering around some Octoprint scripts and I think I've found the optimal solution for sending prints to the Re-Arm.

Transferring files over Ethernet or over serial to the SD card is really slow, but you can mount the SD card as a USB drive on a host computer, and transferring files to the SD card that way is extremely fast. So I set some scripts up to mount the SD card as a USB drive, copy over either all of the uploads, or the last upload, the unmount the drive.

So now I get USB SD card transfer speeds over Octopi, and the reliability and speed of printing directly from the SD card.

This page got me on my way, but I had to do some changes to get it working how I wanted:
https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/wiki/Setup-OctoPrint-with-Smoothie
March 07, 2017 04:02PM
Just trying the improved web interface now the one you get to by using http ://192.168.x.x /sd/webif/imrahil-ui/index.html

Is quite good its a bit like the web interface on Duet but not quite as well developed.
Printing with it now so it does work.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2017 05:39PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
March 07, 2017 05:35PM
Mine arrived today and im looking for a ramps delta sample config. I only could find the Cartesian sample here [panucattdevices.freshdesk.com].
March 07, 2017 05:41PM
I'd just get a smoothieware delta sample and work out the pin changes, I put a pinnout diagram in this thread [forums.reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2017 05:42PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

March 07, 2017 09:08PM
sungod3k
Mine arrived today and im looking for a ramps delta sample config. I only could find the Cartesian sample here [panucattdevices.freshdesk.com].

Funnily enough I was in the same boat last night. I mashed together the sample Re-Arm config with the sample delta config. It's attached. Note that this is untested, and may cause your house to burn down.
Attachments:
open | download - config.txt (27.2 KB)
March 07, 2017 09:11PM
Thanks guys ill check it out.

My intuition tells me to modify the cartesian config from the supportfiles, that should at least have the right pin definitions.

I also mailed panucat directly and asked for a delta config.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2017 09:14PM by sungod3k.
March 08, 2017 01:56AM
Be interesting to hear how you get on with that.

Simon Khoury

March 08, 2017 06:00PM
No answer from panucat so far, and im a bit surprised to not find a default delta config. From the kickstarter alone there should have been at least some people needing it.

Anyway, I compared the cartesian and nebbians config side by side and since there is no specific "delta settings section" I was about to copy all delta related setting from one of the smoothiebord delta configs in the cartesian configuration to make sure that all the pins are correct, BUT then I saw that when I have for example the gamma motor pin settings from nebbian they are different from the settings in cartesian, which doesnt really fit in my plan. Shouldnt the motor be controlled from the same pins no matter if delta or cartesian?
March 12, 2017 05:49PM
Some little progress on the delta config. I left messages where ever I saw someone talking about the re-arm and while my panucatt support tickets is still unanswered, the best answer I got was from the smoothie IRC channel, where someone said:

there is no delta config for rearm at the moment, you need to grab the azteeg x5 delta config then carefully change all the pin numbers to match the re arm pins based on the re arm config. DOn;t try to do it the other way around though as deltas are very finicky about the config

which is kind of in line with what was discussed earlier.

So I took a closer look at the azteeg config and compared it to nebbians config.

I learned:

that the motor pins are the same
the heater pins as well
i cant identify thermistor, fan or endstop pins

I will compare the sample cartesian config with the azteeg one to hopefully identify all the pins. An azteeg pinout would be helpful (there are only wiring instructions on the panucatt page)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2017 05:53PM by sungod3k.
March 12, 2017 07:38PM
Heres my corexy re-arm config:

config.txt

The pins are correct steppers for x,y,z, E0, E0 thermistor & heater, E1 thermistor, bed thermistor & heater, ramps fan extender fan 0 and fan 1 (not D9 fan from ramps/mega), alpha/x min endstop, beta/y min endstop, gamma/z max endstop, min endstop, and reprap discount full graphics display.

These all map to the correct pin on ramps. This printer is fully functional with this config.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2017 08:07PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

March 12, 2017 07:40PM
@DjDemonD: good to hear. from which config did you start?
March 12, 2017 07:42PM
I got a config file from Dust.

Maybe we need to create a pin mapping table and add pins to it as/when we work them out.

I'm making an editable word doc to share we can add the pins as we go along.
Will post it in 5 minutes.

Simon Khoury

March 12, 2017 07:55PM
Hows this for starters, its editable.

[1drv.ms]

Simon Khoury

March 12, 2017 08:06PM
Looks good.
Ill try to confirm over the next days
March 16, 2017 03:13PM
Hello Folks,
Here is my delta config file - well this is work in progress. Although I was able to calibrate using the smoothieware after calibration the end effector is still not moving parallel to build plate. Any movement between points A and B it dips below. Not sure why this is happening. Will try and add some videos if possible.

Regards,
DGV
Attachments:
open | download - config.txt (31.7 KB)
March 19, 2017 01:50AM
@ DjDemonD your pins check out as far as i can see. I added a column indicating which pins are different when coming from the azteeg mini delat config.

Other question: what is the default model cooling fan pin? There are these switch.fan.output_pin and switch.misc.output_pin what is the difference here?
March 19, 2017 01:52AM
@NVDESK with a and b you mean alpha and beta tower right? if it only happens between two towers it would be weird, except if it an autolevel thing.
March 19, 2017 03:57AM
sungod3k
@ DjDemonD your pins check out as far as i can see. I added a column indicating which pins are different when coming from the azteeg mini delat config.

Other question: what is the default model cooling fan pin? There are these switch.fan.output_pin and switch.misc.output_pin what is the difference here?

I'm using a ramps fan extender (dual PWM fan add-on module) so I use what would have been D4,D5 on arduino. You need to map whatever used to drive D9 on arduino the default part fan is you run a Extruder,Fan,Bed config.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 03:57AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

March 19, 2017 10:59AM
Aha,

yeah the azteeg config says "switch.fan.output_pin 2.4"
the re-arm cartesian config interestingly also says pin 2.4, but when I look at the re-arm pin out 2.4 is the HE2 mosfet, is re-arm recognizing the same double occupation of pins?
On the other hand P1.20 is the first "Ser1" pwm output that looks like the closest equivalent to D9...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 11:24AM by sungod3k.
March 19, 2017 12:49PM
2.4 might be right as D9 is the heater 2 (or extruder 1 or whatever you want to call it on ramps) if you're setup for Extruder, extruder, bed.

Simon Khoury

March 23, 2017 11:11AM
Im printing now and nothing has shorted out so i call that a succes.

One technicality though. The height calibration. I had some issues with the G32 and G30 and ended up calbration the height manually because it would save a weird value in the config override that was way to high. Is the override file secondary when I set a different value in gamma max?

and I also had the second failure after 10min or so when simplify just reports "WARNING: Firmware unresponsive. Attempting to force continue..." its supposedly something with the usb connection but I dont see the connection dropping, anyone else experience that?
March 23, 2017 11:19AM
I home, move to bed centre home Z then run G30 z-height reset once in my start gcode.

I do grid levelling periodically and save the height map. Which I believe is automatically loaded. Don't know about gamma max value I'll check that on the machine later see what I am using and what gets written into the config_override

I haven't had a firmware unresponsive error. I have had to hit reset after cancelling a print and it not cancelling via pronterface/octoprint.

Simon Khoury

March 23, 2017 01:07PM
Ill put now the same height number in gamma max and override, that seems to work.

and I just looked at the disconnection in verbose mode and its a temp error on the bed, which i hadnt pid tuned.
March 23, 2017 02:03PM
Yeah I get a heater error if I set a temperature below the current temperature. So instead I just switch the heater off and then back on when I'm within 5-10 degrees of the lower temperature. Might be an issue if I was using dual extrusion but I'm not.

Simon Khoury

March 23, 2017 02:09PM
well that sounds weird. could that be the watchdog kicking in to fast? basically thinking youre overheating?

and how is the grid compensation working for you all? i repeated 2 9x9 G31s and its functional but there is still roughly a quarter of the bed that is clearly off
March 23, 2017 05:52PM
Pretty good its slightly higher at y max end but within a first layer's width so not too bothered.

Simon Khoury

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login