Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Use of linear guides

Posted by ZPRO Solutions 
Use of linear guides
February 26, 2017 11:54PM
Hello All,

I am developing a new printer in which I am using Marlin firmware. My Bed will be moving in Z direction.
Can I use independent linear rails for X and Y axis instead of routing belt in Core XY fashion.

Regards,

ZPRO
Re: Use of linear guides
February 27, 2017 12:17AM
Sure. A lot of commercial printers use that type of arrangement. It just means that you have to move the X axis motor along with the X axis guide rail(s).

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 27, 2017 03:14AM
I heart it's difficult to achieve enough rigidity for this type of H bot compared to say coreXY, so it may be more of a challenge to get it right.
February 27, 2017 06:47AM
He didn't say anything about H-bot, just that he wants the extruder to move in X and Y and that he doesn't want to use CoreXY belt routing. I don't know how recent ones are laid out, but older Makerbots have used that type of mechanism, as have Solidoodle, 3DS CubeX and CubePro machines, etc. I have a CubeX machine that uses two motors to drive the Y axis (instead of turning a shaft that drives two belt loops). I haven't had any problems with it (yet) - keeping my fingers crossed...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 27, 2017 07:59AM
The recent E3D BigBox used a similar Cartesian arrangement where the X motor moves with the Y axis. Most CoreXY designs can easily be modified to run Cartesian instead. BCN3D sigma use it with dual X axis quite nicely.

To add: Why not try a CoreXY and if it isn't for you, switch to cartesian?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2017 08:00AM by Origamib.
February 27, 2017 11:35AM
Or there's this: Inside-H drive
February 27, 2017 05:43PM
LoboCNC

So what does this do? Where does the filament go?
presume your going to filp it, but cant see how you will feed it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2017 05:44PM by MechaBits.
February 27, 2017 05:56PM
MechaBits
LoboCNC

So what does this do? Where does the filament go?
presume your going to filp it, but cant see how you will feed it.

Filament is fed in at a right-angle. This particular printer prints upside-down, but you could also configure it to print right-side-up.

Here's a video of the full printer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdju_6XEHZ4

and there's a more complete discussion of it here:

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,665310,page=1
February 27, 2017 06:04PM
Sorry forgot about that one, yeah cool to have that large print hanging upside down, from just 2 rods and using just wire, seems quite large too, is it 300x300 for bed
February 27, 2017 06:07PM
MechaBits
Sorry forgot about that one, yeah cool to have that large print hanging upside down, from just 2 rods and using just wire, seems quite large too, is it 300x300 for bed

Actually, 350 x 350mm. I used 400mm rails.
February 28, 2017 10:52AM
Considering the amount of plastic parts in there(even though its a minimal setup), and the size, it looks like a fairly good print, So is print just on kapton or a build surface, is that example pla?
February 28, 2017 11:28AM
MechaBits
Considering the amount of plastic parts in there(even though its a minimal setup), and the size, it looks like a fairly good print, So is print just on kapton or a build surface, is that example pla?

I've been printing mostly with PLA on kapton tape, for more than 6 months now without problems. Note that all the important bits (the high-speed X-Y mechanism) are metal and stuck to a granite base. None of the plastic parts need to be that rigid.
February 28, 2017 05:09PM
I remember when you were first building it there was a concern about how failed prints might make a mess over the hot-end - the inverted spaghetti monster problem. How has that worked out, have you had any print failures to deal with?
February 28, 2017 06:14PM
JamesK
I remember when you were first building it there was a concern about how failed prints might make a mess over the hot-end - the inverted spaghetti monster problem. How has that worked out, have you had any print failures to deal with?

I've only had a couple of spaghetti monster failures and they've been no better or worse than with my other printers. I did add a silicone shield over the heater block (the nozzle pokes up through it) to keep spaghetti from melting to the heater block. (I learned my lesson on my Makergear M2 when I woke up in the morning to find the entire heater block encased in a solid ball of plastic.) After a lot of printing with this printer, I've come to the conclusion that printing upside-down is not really an issue at all. The main advantage is that you can put all the moving stuff on the ground rather than suspending it in the air.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login