Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepSnapper - Z axis not working

Posted by anode505 
RepSnapper - Z axis not working
February 27, 2011 07:18AM
I finally got my z Axis bind-up fixed, sorted out and machine basically done.

I like RepSnapper the best of RepRap Host, ReplicatorG, and Skiengorge.

With RepSnapper I can connect to the printer, (Mendel, Techzone lasercut) and move all the axis around, home them, etc. But when I tried a dry run print (no extruder or hot end connected) the Z axis never moved. The motor even stayed cold. When in manual mode all the motors are on in a locked state heating up. The X & Y moved correctly, so it seemed. I tried a couple of parts all with the same result.

Ideas?

(gonna try other host programs today)
Re: RepSnapper - Z axis not working
February 27, 2011 05:34PM
Is it possible that your z axis enable needs to be inverted? z axis should normally be disabled, unless it it is in use. are you using Tonokip firmware?

One quick way to verify that it is a firmware issue, is turn off and unplug your electronics, unplug z axis motor and verify that a+/a- b+/b- leads have greater than 3ohms a piece. this ensures your motor does not have a short. then switch z axis motor with x axis motor . plug in everything again, and does your z axis now move? if so, then it is a firmware issue, or a motherboard issue.

hook everything back up as normal and then troubleshoot in firmware.

if you look in the firmware and z enable is set correctly, and inverting z axis and reloading the firmware does nothing then contact the board seller. they may have tips for you to get it working.

here is what firmware settings i would use to troubleshoot in Tonokip configuration.h.

disclaimer: only for reference, cutting an pasting info below without any though may result in the universe inploding. you have been warnedsmiling smiley

//For Inverting Stepper Enable Pins (Active Low) use 0, Non Inverting (Active High) use 1
const bool X_ENABLE_ON = 0; //if nothing works, well then change allt hese!!
const bool Y_ENABLE_ON = 0;
const bool Z_ENABLE_ON = 0;
const bool E_ENABLE_ON = 0;

//Disables axis when it's not being used.
const bool DISABLE_X = false;
const bool DISABLE_Y = false;
const bool DISABLE_Z = false; //make 'true' after done testng
const bool DISABLE_E = false;

const bool INVERT_X_DIR = false; //these will change direction
const bool INVERT_Y_DIR = false;
const bool INVERT_Z_DIR = true;
const bool INVERT_E_DIR = false;

//Endstop Settings
const bool ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true;
const bool min_software_endstops = false; //If true, axis won't move to coordinates less than zero.
const bool max_software_endstops =false; //set to 'true' after tests if you want to home your device

good luck,
James
February 27, 2011 07:00PM
It seems that anode505 can move all the axes move and home properly using the repsnapper print menu. The problem only occurs when printing. So it doesn't sound it's a hardware issue or firmware setting issue. Perhaps the maximum printspeed in Z is too high. It's probably safe to set this to 50-60 mm/min. It's under the Print Options tab, printer settings button.
February 27, 2011 10:02PM
The other issue is if you do not have any limit switches installed, set the pin number to -1 for non existent pins. i think there is an error in the firmware where is still detects limit switch pins when you are not using any.

Also changing dir of z pin would possibly work as well.

Tonokip has some issues going below zero on any axis.
firmware has
if (min_software_endstops) {
if (destination_x < 0) destination_x = 0.0;
if (destination_y < 0) destination_y = 0.0;
if (destination_z < 0) destination_z = 0.0;
}

so leave min_software_endstops in configuration.h to false

what firmware are you using? thx
March 05, 2011 04:55PM
Update:

If I have a 1mm layer it seems to work. .8mm it doesn't really move. (certainly not the .8mm. I have a dial indicator on it)

Is there a way to abort a print? Pause works as a pause. but the printer resumes at the pause spot. I hae been just restarting 'snapper. reset buttons don't work either.
March 06, 2011 12:43PM
anode505 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Update:
>
> If I have a 1mm layer it seems to work. .8mm it
> doesn't really move. (certainly not the .8mm. I
> have a dial indicator on it)
>
> Is there a way to abort a print? Pause works as a
> pause. but the printer resumes at the pause spot.
> I hae been just restarting 'snapper. reset
> buttons don't work either.

You just need to reload the g-code file from the main tab. Easier than restarting RepSnapper.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 06, 2011 06:23PM
New update, seems that if anti-ooze is turned on, I get the no Z issue. Turn it off and the Z works. Odd.

(When it fails, the z axis motor makes a quick whirl/buzz type sound as if its running too fast. I've cut & pasted the gcode for the z into the manual send line and it works ok. )
March 06, 2011 10:32PM
I also had this problem with repsnapper + ramps and keep oozebane unchecked.
March 08, 2011 04:23PM
Sorry in an attempt to troubleshoot I'm going to ask you a set of questions.

are you using tonokip firmware? can you show us your configuration.h file? that would help use know what settings you have. also what federate do you have rep snapper set to for max? and what is your baud rate set at?

what is your power supply and voltage?

please also cut and paste your configuration.h code

thanks. someone will answer you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login