Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Starting a new 3D printer project. Would really appreciate any input. smiling smiley

Posted by flydeprutten 
Re: Starting a new 3D printer project. Would really appreciate any input. smiling smiley
March 14, 2017 05:23PM
For advice about CoreXY printer designs in particular, I suggest you post on the CoreXY section of the forum.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Starting a new 3D printer project. Would really appreciate any input. smiling smiley
March 14, 2017 05:26PM
That looks like a solid machine. My only thoughts are
1) if possible don't cantilever your hotend from the rail in that way, consider instead using 2 rails in a horizontal pair for your x-axis and placing the hot end between them. If I change my corexy this would be one thing I would do. Your using metal x carriage and hotend clamp so the nozzle movement should be small but its a good principle and you could start off with this (which is optimum) at this stage. The only drawback is increased moving mass, but the accuracy improvement is probably worth the speed reduction.
2) the v-wheels and leadscrews should give a decent z axis. Consider driving them both from 1 motor (possibly with gearing - gearbox or pulleys/belts if it needs it).

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
March 14, 2017 09:09PM
Will the Vee wheels be on excentric spacers?

I can't see how wheels and grooves will be used on Z axis,
and where leadscrews will be

Remember bed should be restricted to only move in Z,
with bed parallel to X Y plane.

confused smiley
March 14, 2017 11:31PM
Which side is the front? You might have issues with access with the current setup.
March 15, 2017 07:27AM
DjDemonD
That looks like a solid machine. My only thoughts are
1) if possible don't cantilever your hotend from the rail in that way, consider instead using 2 rails in a horizontal pair for your x-axis and placing the hot end between them. If I change my corexy this would be one thing I would do. Your using metal x carriage and hotend clamp so the nozzle movement should be small but its a good principle and you could start off with this (which is optimum) at this stage. The only drawback is increased moving mass, but the accuracy improvement is probably worth the speed reduction.
2) the v-wheels and leadscrews should give a decent z axis. Consider driving them both from 1 motor (possibly with gearing - gearbox or pulleys/belts if it needs it).

1: This was actually also a concern I had, and therefore I also order a mgn12 as a sample. My alternative was to use the V-wheels, because I have to expand the frame considerably to make room for two rails. Do you think I have a big problem with this design, or is it just a small improvement suggestions?
2: That was my plan to do. That is one of the suggestions from this thread, that I have used in my design. :-)

cozmicray
Will the Vee wheels be on excentric spacers?

I can't see how wheels and grooves will be used on Z axis,
and where leadscrews will be

Remember bed should be restricted to only move in Z,
with bed parallel to X Y plane.

confused smiley
Yes, the wheels will be placed on an excentric spacer and mounted on a 6mm aluminum plate. I plan to let the wheels run along the white aluminum profile on each side, and they will lead the bottom white profile in the z-axis. It will thereby only be able to move, along the z-axis.

The lead screw will be located on each side of the bed, along the white, upright profiles. I will make a hole on each side of the bottom profile that the screws will go through.

I apologize that I have not designed this part yet, but it was the part I was most certain about, and therefore I saved it for last.

nebbian
Which side is the front? You might have issues with access with the current setup.

The front side is the side that is 460mm wide. The profile that goes across the side, is only placed there, to increase the stability of the frame. If it causes problems, I will move it, or remove it altogether.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2017 08:14AM by flydeprutten.
March 16, 2017 02:38PM
Any reason you seem to be set on a cartesian printer? A delta could be a whole lot of fun, and in my experience more impressive to the lamen which is always a plus.

On the whole both of your designs look pretty good, while I personally think that core xy's are a bit weird and use longer belt runs than necessary, that is the trade off of removing a dedicated x axis stepper motor from the moving mass, it should perform very well as many other core xys do.

The slight cantilever that your hot end has while not Ideal in theory, shouldn't be a problem in the slightest in practice. (Though this could be said about many things)

Even if you do everything right, sometimes one bad component can send you on a wild goose chase looking for what is bottle-necking your print quality. You may want to skim though this

If you need some help, or don't understand what I just said, feel free to send me a PM anytime

Printer: Prusa i3, 2 E3D v6 Hotends, Arduino + RAMPS 1.4 with a Bypassed 5V Regulator, 400w Insignia ATX PSU, Custom Designed Bowden Extruders
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login