Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cloned titan extruder review/opinion...

Posted by DjDemonD 
Re: Cloned titan extruder review/opinion...
February 19, 2018 12:09PM
MKSA
Could you test if their hobbed gear is really heat treated ? That is hardened and a hacksaw or a chinese file should not bite into it.

I have no intention to ruin my perfect working extruder smiling smiley
I don't know if it is hardened steel (it is certainly steel) and frankly I don't really care as long as it is doing it's job...
February 19, 2018 04:13PM
whosrdaddy
MKSA
Could you test if their hobbed gear is really heat treated ? That is hardened and a hacksaw or a chinese file should not bite into it.

I have no intention to ruin my perfect working extruder smiling smiley
I don't know if it is hardened steel (it is certainly steel) and frankly I don't really care as long as it is doing it's job...

The test is non destructive.
Just that I am tired of all the false claims from these people.
And a sharp, hardened steel hobbgear is a plus.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
February 19, 2018 04:30PM
Testing it aside, why does a hobbed drive gear need to be hardened. Is mild steel not hard enough to bite into filament.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
February 19, 2018 05:03PM
I think it's mostly for wear resistance, particularly with particle filled filaments. Hardened steel teeth are also going to take longer to dull which happens with any sharp edge that cuts into something (the teeth cut into the filament). Not a big deal for most people, some people even use brass.
February 27, 2018 04:14AM
Dj
Testing it aside, why does a hobbed drive gear need to be hardened. Is mild steel not hard enough to bite into filament.
wondering how the standard fairs with a couple of spools of carbon filament.
February 27, 2018 04:30AM
jinx
Dj
wondering how the standard fairs with a couple of spools of carbon filament.

Poorly perhaps but then something like a brass gear, such as used in a Mk8 is a cheap and easy to replace part. Its the argument for hardened nozzles, worth it if they perform as well, and are not massively more costly. Otherwise, a £3 brass nozzle replaced every other spool is a small ongoing cost.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
February 27, 2018 04:53AM
Agree in general terms, if the sell apples, you should receive apples.

However the hobbed drive gear should push the filamente "by having a reasonable amount of grip on it".
If you need the drive gear to voraciously bite into the filament spinning smiley sticking its tongue out , probably there is too much friction/pressure in the hotend and something is wrong elsewhere... e.g. low temp.
Also we should all bear in mind that if on bowden, biting the filament could increase friction in the tube.
am I wrong?

Disclaimer: io ce la metto tutta a darti consigli sensati, sta a te non incendiare nulla :-)
CoreXY HyperCube. [www.thingiverse.com] | Cerchi test? Make: test set: [www.thingiverse.com]
February 27, 2018 04:57AM
The MK8 brass crap is just a small module gear !
A good hardened hobb with sharp teeth will bite the filament without requiring extra force and last forever.
Cheap that doesn't perform and you replace often is not a good deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2018 04:58AM by MKSA.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
February 27, 2018 04:58AM
Dj
Poorly perhaps but then something like a brass gear, such as used in a Mk8 is a cheap and easy to replace part. Its the argument for hardened nozzles, worth it if they perform as well, and are not massively more costly. Otherwise, a £3 brass nozzle replaced every other spool is a small ongoing cost.
hear what you sayin but replacing a titan hobbed gear gets pricey at £22 a pop " for a genuine". if carbon weren't so expensive I test it myself.
February 27, 2018 07:12AM
I just ordered my first roll to try out technology outlet carbon petg.

Simon Khoury

February 27, 2018 01:02PM
Dj
I just ordered my first roll to try out technology outlet carbon petg.
that's the spirit bud, look forward to reading/seeing your results... never heard of tech.outlet before not a bad price for a spool of carbon petg either cheaper than my first search results.
February 27, 2018 02:24PM
Ended up being about £47 with shipping and VAT so still a pricey roll of filament, but then the XL kossel now has water cooling, titanium heatbreak (from Well-Engineered) and a tungsten nozzle. So it seems a shame to print boring old PLA/ABS with it, not exotic enough smiling smiley

Simon Khoury

February 27, 2018 02:36PM
I hate VAT! we brits need to start a campaign to get 3DP exempt from the vat man, start comparing prices with our merican cousins feels like we being robbed eye popping smiley
when you add watercooling bit posh that is spinning smiley sticking its tongue out,, that on a V6 or a titan aero?
February 27, 2018 02:54PM
V6 dyze design water block roughly adapted to v6 heatsink so not that posh.

Simon Khoury

February 27, 2018 03:02PM
Dj
V6 dyze design water block roughly adapted to v6 heatsink so not that posh
have to go google it, gave up on the notion of adding water cooling, fear of springing a leak! but more so thought it would hamper movement especially on a delta.
February 27, 2018 06:51PM
I was concerned about leaks but with good hoses, clean any burs off the barbed fittings, and proper jubilee clips, I don't think it will be a big problem. My delta doesn't seem to suffer any problems as a result of the hoses but they do add mass. Im using big tubing at present, but the cooling required is tiny so I could use smaller hoses and reduce moving mass further. Here the machine [forums.reprap.org]

Simon Khoury

February 28, 2018 05:44PM
Carbon fibre PETG Benchy - actually looks better in real life. Stronger - no, stiffer - yes, does a good job of looking engineered and hiding the layer lines, to the human eye at least - yes. Less stringy than regular petg, smells like Amphora that's in Ngen, but prints better.

Simon Khoury

March 01, 2018 02:21AM
Dj
Stronger - no, stiffer - yes, does a good job of looking engineered and hiding the layer lines
lookin good I strained an eye looking for the layers eye popping smiley, what layer height you testing with? I thought it would be stronger than the normal stuff, was thinking the whole point of carbon filaments was an increase in strength.... you taking snaps of the hobbed gear with each print we looking for that degradation or not, once the fleet finished.
March 01, 2018 08:27AM
I'm using 0.2mm layers. No haven't snapped the hobbed gear, but using nimble so will ask Brian and Lykle if it's hardened SS or not. And how much a spare one is.

Apparently it's not stronger as the CF strands aren't long enough, and they don't span layers (even markforged continuous cf doesn't span layers), but for a layer hiding material it's half the price of ngen lux.

Spool tare weight was 996g so its 1kg Inc spool sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 08:31AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

March 02, 2018 03:16AM
I have a spool of black PLA. It seems to contain carbon too, but in the shape of cole dust... the surface looks as dull and unspecific as yours sad smiley
March 02, 2018 04:05AM
What of mine looks dull and unspecific? I quite like the results from this filament, I suspect it will be great for functional parts, which is what I prefer to print most of the time, being PETG based. I will try a few Piezo sensor units, the stiffness should improve them. We usually don't make them from PLA, as they are hotend mounts, but those who have get better results than we do from the stiffness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2018 04:06AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

March 02, 2018 04:25AM
I didn't want to offend you, the benchy looks dull ( = semiglossy? ) to me and the layers are invisible. That's what I meant with unspecific.
March 02, 2018 04:28AM
No offence I just wanted to clarify what you meant. Yeah I like that look. Its not for everyone.

Simon Khoury

May 01, 2018 02:58PM
What are peoples opinions on the E3D-v6 compatible nozzle that trianglelab sell?
For example the hardened steel one...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2018 02:59PM by modaniel.
May 03, 2018 01:38AM
Didn't test one, but I have bought a number of products from them and all work as advertised (up till now winking smiley )
May 03, 2018 05:34AM
Dont forget the pic above seems low light & lots of jpeg noise artifacts, unless it really is furry looking.
May 15, 2018 10:13AM
Has anyone tried a Titan Aero with a cloned Titan extruder?
May 15, 2018 12:02PM
if you mean this then yes, I have 2 units running without any issue...
May 16, 2018 02:37AM
I'm sure, it's about the Aero upgrade kits, I've seen lately.
June 15, 2018 03:51AM
I ordered a knock off titan early this year. while it worked ok, I went ahead and ordered aero parts to convert them over. Low and behold my heatsinks had a shifted motor pattern compared to the aero.

Found the thingiverse titan parts and printed a rear case. The printed part fit the heatsink for the aero like a glove. The unit actually prints better too as the hobbed gear is now in the correct location!

Be careful when selecting which titan you get. They are not all the same.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login