Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cloned titan extruder review/opinion...

Posted by DjDemonD 
Re: Cloned titan extruder review/opinion...
September 05, 2018 05:00PM
It's the one I asked DD about on August 12 earlier in this thread.

If I wait to see if there is a problem before milling out for a second bearing on the front, I'll lose the ability to use a center finder to index the mill to the hole, and if I end up with bearings that don't align I'll really mess them up. On the other hand, the lever arm might be sufficiently constrained that there's no need for a second bearing. On the other other hand, I already bought a 10-pack of MR58 bearings, so maybe I really should use at least one of them. On the other other other hand, I have now replacements if any of the several included MR58 bearings fail, even if I don't modify the arm.
September 06, 2018 05:00AM
mcdanlj
It's the one I asked DD about on August 12 earlier in this thread.

If I wait to see if there is a problem before milling out for a second bearing on the front, I'll lose the ability to use a center finder to index the mill to the hole, and if I end up with bearings that don't align I'll really mess them up. On the other hand, the lever arm might be sufficiently constrained that there's no need for a second bearing. On the other other hand, I already bought a 10-pack of MR58 bearings, so maybe I really should use at least one of them. On the other other other hand, I have now replacements if any of the several included MR58 bearings fail, even if I don't modify the arm.

How many hands do you have ????? smiling smiley

Note, for me, this kind of "extruder" deserves the sledge hammer treatment using both hands !

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
September 09, 2018 04:08PM
I made an output filament guide similar to the one DD blogged about and linked to earlier in this thread. Except that it's made of brass instead of aluminum, it looks like his, so no pictures really necessary... But I made it a bit differently.

I used a 4mm end mill to plunge mill an 8mm deep hole on the output side, concentric with the existing ~2.5mm output hole.

I faced and turned a brass rod down to 4mm diameter, 18mm long. I center-drilled it first to 2mm and then to 2.5mm to match the existing hole. I parted it off 16mm long, then held it gingerly to the side of the grinding wheel to make a profile like DD's. I did test fits as I ground until it just barely fit.

I cleaned out the ground end first by running the 2.5mm drill bit through by hand from the flat end, then by using a sharp knife to clean up the inside shaped edge.

So far, it doesn't look like I'll need any adhesive. The fit is smooth without meaningful wobble, and so far it's easy to load filament and filament runs smooth through it. I haven't yet made a new mount to attach it to a printer, so this is all dry runs. Also, the MR58 bearing for the axle arm doesn't quite fit over the shaft of the random motor I grabbed for my first test; I'll either switch motors or polish the shaft to make it fit. So my test was with the bearing not mounted. This shouldn't affect overall fit, just wear, and I won't run it without the bearing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login