Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

British Press: Typical.

Posted by andysuth 
British Press: Typical.
March 02, 2011 02:24PM
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Hardly a high quality publication, but why did the "Daily Mail" chose to write an article about the Makerbot rather than the RepRap Project?

They could have put a little more local spin on the whole RepRap article.

It does highlight the problem with British Journalism, lack of technical know how, the journalist openly admits to not being able to/bothered to assembly the Makerbot.

Not having a massive go at the journalist, because it's coverage none the less, but he should've written the article about the RepRap.

-AS
Re: British Press: Typical.
March 03, 2011 05:36PM
The "lack of X" isn't limited to British journalism winking smiley

Although, the lack of technical know how isn't limited to journalism... Dare I say, a majority of people don't have the technical aptitude. It's easier to make a devices that serves them than try and change humans to be able to make the device.

I have a lack of Karaoke know how (really, singing/music making in general) - so I buy music instead of making it myself (much easier than trying to adapt me to being able to create music suitable for listening) :p
VDX
March 03, 2011 05:45PM
... same sort of journalism here in Germany too eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 03, 2011 06:23PM
Viktor,

I'd swap the German attitude towards engineering and technical subjects for the British one any day of the week.

I think they have closed off the comments section, probably too many similar comments on the quality of the article.

The point is, it seems completely random the journalist chose Makerbot instead of an international effort to make RepRaps.

-AS
March 03, 2011 08:41PM
LOL, apparently the filament is "about 2mm." What more evidence do you need to prove that he didn't do any research beyond interviewing Bre over the phone? The extruder he's got clearly has the thumbscrew plunger, which means it's not for 1.75mm filament. Geez 3mm filament is one of the most basic facts about this whole activity.

Oh well, at least it's something. All publicity is good publicity.

They probably wrote the article about a Makerbot because they could order a complete kit from a reasonably established company. The Reprap designs are still kind of unofficial.
March 03, 2011 11:00PM
i would say that while makerbot probably send out press releases, university of bath probably not as much.
VDX
March 04, 2011 02:54AM
... ye louder the drum, the higher the chance being heard - and makerbot is simply 'louder' than others eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 04, 2011 05:35AM
i don't mind makerbot acting like a company, being in the media or advertising or whatever.

but in that video-talk of that kid praising his makerbot to a way over enthused audience i DID mind him comparing the two simply as if they were companies and referring to reprap as 'unreliable'
March 04, 2011 05:49AM
But you have to admit the kid did a pretty good job with his presentation.
I have seen 35 year old managers that could learn from him... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
March 04, 2011 09:32AM
yes definitely a future public speaker
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login