Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Came back to a printer that won't turn on

Posted by TheOrvinator 
Came back to a printer that won't turn on
March 28, 2017 07:03PM
Hi guys,
I have a HIC Prusa i3 3DP-12. This is my first time working with a 3d printer, and so far it's fun! After assembly, I printed 2 parts with no problem and was very pleased with the quality. However, the 3rd part was estimated to take 5 hours, so I started it and left it. I could have sworn I heard some clicking while I was gone, but it didn't register in my mind, and I honestly may have made it up. When I came back, the print was only half finished, and the printer was off, even though the power switch was still on. Now, no matter how many times I unplug/plug it and flip the switch, there is no response at all. One thing that was interesting was that afterwards, I was manually turning the screws for the Z-axis and the left one made a snapping sound before turning in my hand as it normally would. This is what reminded me of the clicking I thought I heard earlier. I'm not sure if a stepper motor blew out and fried something, or if my control board or power supply went dead. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Re: Came back to a printer that won't turn on
March 28, 2017 07:49PM
I think it's unlikely that a stepper failed... they're pretty robust. Wondering if the snapping sound was something stuck in the gears/belts/whatever?

I'd start by checking the power supply... Are you getting 12V? Then check that your controller board has 5V.
March 29, 2017 05:50AM
Its dead and should be buried in the garden.

Not really.

Just what frank said - basic fault finding starting from the fuse in the PSU plug following the flow inwards. Sniff for smells & look for damage.
March 29, 2017 05:25PM
Ok, finally got a voltmeter and poked a bit. Turns out, the signal stops right after the power switch on the control board! I'm hoping HIC will replace the switch. In the meantime, can I simply just bypass the switch and wire the power supply right into where the switch would connect?
March 29, 2017 06:09PM
I'd just put a jumper on the back of the switch, connecting the input to the output. I assume it's just a simple-pole switch?
June 03, 2017 07:56PM
Hey guys,
To update, after waiting for 4 weeks for a replacement switch (embedded in the cage) from HICTOP, I finally received it, installed it, and found that it completely solved the problem! Thanks for the help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login