Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament Splicing

Posted by Origamib 
Filament Splicing
April 08, 2017 11:01AM
So recently I've had the need to print large plates of parts, and at the same time coming to the end of multiple spools. Normally I just babysit the print and shove the new filament after the old and continue on, but this time I didn't have the time to do that.

Instead I spliced together the old spool to the new spool. Using a set of helping hands holding each piece of filament I melted the ends with a lighter, smooshed tightly till it forms a large blob and then proceed to clip and file the piece to the correct dimension. It has to be done this way, any less and the plastic does not flow together and is prone to cracking. Is there an automated tool for this though, or could we develop one?

In my mind, we need a heated crimping tool. Set it to melting point and then quickly stamp the two ends together in the tool, the advantage is a consistent join with a hopefully consistent diameter. Seems easy enough to do though.... What are peoples thoughts? I know an automated splicer already exists, its called the palette and it sells for a rather hefty price tag....
Re: Filament Splicing
April 08, 2017 12:51PM
I've tried a few of the homebrew splicing methods none successfully. We all have soldering iron maybe some sort of Teflon coated crimping pliers which could clip onto a soldering iron tip. But unless they also make a perfect oblique cut you'll get flash which will jam as it feeds.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
April 08, 2017 06:28PM
DjDemonD
I've tried a few of the homebrew splicing methods none successfully. We all have soldering iron maybe some sort of Teflon coated crimping pliers which could clip onto a soldering iron tip. But unless they also make a perfect oblique cut you'll get flash which will jam as it feeds.

I'm surprised you had no success. My current method is working really and I've had no problems so far. I am using it with nGen which has high flow properties so perhaps that helps to make a good strong connection. I basically just melt the tips and smoosh 'em together. you end up with a flat blob all around that is about 3 or 4 times the normal diameter, then use flush cutters and a a file / sand paper for a smooth transition through the extruder. I had my doubts, but it works. It will not break even if I bend or pull it. I'm sure its weaker then a normal section of filament but as long as it gets through the extruder I'm happy!

I think a pair of heated crimping tools could make the process a little easier and more fool proof. In my head they would be similar to bootlace crimpers that clamp all the way around to give a square profile cut.

Slightly off topic, but I'm pretty sure the palette is just a razor blade, a heater, and a ramps board.... Not sure how they get away with the $1000 price tag!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2017 06:42PM by Origamib.
April 11, 2017 09:51AM
Oh darn!
I saw a Youtube video of a guy who had a nice little device that welded filaments together. Came out perfectly smooth.
But I cannot find it again. Piffle!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login