Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can any slicer vary layer height?

Posted by newbob 
Can any slicer vary layer height?
April 23, 2017 01:35PM
To achieve better quality, slicers I tried (Craftware and Mattercontrol) do have an option to slow down when printing outside wall (perimeter speed). I wonder if there's a slicer that can do outside walls at higher resolution, say 0.1, and 0.2 for inside? I suppose the software would have to do outside first twice at 0.1 then do the inside at 0.2mm...
Re: Can any slicer vary layer height?
April 23, 2017 05:47PM
Yes,

Slic3r has what they call microlayering, it combines infill every "nth" layer. So you could have your layer height set to 0.1mm then set microlayering to 2 layers to get infill at 0.2mm. This setting can be temperamental and only likes to work when you have a small layer height, anything over 0.2 and it dose not like to work.
April 24, 2017 02:39AM

This setting can be temperamental and only likes to work when you have a small layer height, anything over 0.2 and it dose not like to work.

That's not entirely true, because it depends on nozzle size too. With a Volcano hotend and 0.8mm nozzle I could print 0.2 walls and 0.6 infill smiling smiley
April 24, 2017 04:59AM
Simplify3D allows for different processes, what this means is that you can set various layer heights depending on height and model, but not within a model. You could make the lower half chunky layers, and the upper half thin layers. Or have 2 models that nestle within each other to alter it that way. not really the best option though.
April 24, 2017 09:02AM
Not quite what you were asking for, but slic3r Prusa edition can do layer heights that vary with Z:

[www.prusaprinters.org]
April 24, 2017 01:06PM
scottybfg
Yes,

Slic3r has what they call microlayering, it combines infill every "nth" layer. So you could have your layer height set to 0.1mm then set microlayering to 2 layers to get infill at 0.2mm. This setting can be temperamental and only likes to work when you have a small layer height, anything over 0.2 and it dose not like to work.

Simplify3d can do this too. But I took the OP's question to be that he wanted a slicer that would use a low layer height for only the outer perimeter, and a coarser layer height not just for infill but for inner perimeters too. I'm not aware of a slicer that can do that, and I'm not sure how well it would work anyway.
April 24, 2017 03:48PM
You could set Simplify3D or slic3r to 'Print every nth layer' and then overextrude for a similar effect? I'm not sure how satisfactory the results would be, but overextruding would at least make stronger parts...

Another alternative would be to allocate a second extruder for infill, and give it a large diameter nozzle. Most slicers can do this at least.
April 24, 2017 10:30PM
o_lampe

That's not entirely true, because it depends on nozzle size too. With a Volcano hotend and 0.8mm nozzle I could print 0.2 walls and 0.6 infill smiling smiley

Yeah I thought there had to be something more to it, being a function of the nozzle size makes sense, I never really played around with it much
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login