Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wiring PSU to Duet Wifi

Posted by Lord Jambrek 
Wiring PSU to Duet Wifi
May 09, 2017 05:23AM
Hi People,

My duet wifi is on the way and I'm a bit confused when it comes to wiring the normal reprap PSU (Mains, 3x V+ and V-). My current configuration is 2x V+ V- to the GT2560 and the 3rd set goes to the heatbed mosfet. The duet wifi has only one connector for 12/24V so I'm wondering if it should be wired with only one set of V+/- or should I join the cables and wire 2x V+/- into the VIN on the DuetWifi?
Re: Wiring PSU to Duet Wifi
May 09, 2017 07:52AM
I just use 1x V+/-, no need for 2x like on other electronics. Just make sure to use proper gauge wire and crimp the ends using the supplied bootlace crimps
May 09, 2017 04:10PM
I use 2x V+/-, as it is suggested in the Wiki, as I wasn't sure if the wire gauge was enough for the requirements of the Duet. However, as Origamib suggested, there should be no problem using just one if you use proper gauge wires and crimps. By the way, the supplied crimps don't allow you to fit both wires at the same crimp as it is too narrow so I used the crimp on 1 wire and used the other wire without any crimp. The connector is wide enough to house a crimped wire and a naked wire at the same time.
May 10, 2017 05:09AM
Since burning out the screw terminal for the heat bed I now periodically check the temperature of them using an IR heat sensor... Perhaps overkill, but it gives me peace of mind that if they are running cool, then they are properly secured!! This was caused by a a lack of crimp, and probably the wire working loose somehow.
May 10, 2017 01:31PM
On any electronics that uses high-current screw terminals, I recommend re-tightening them regularly during the first few hours and days of use. This is to take up any slack left by heat-induced creep.

We're looking at using some other sort of power connector on the next major revision of the Duet series.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2017 01:32PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 10, 2017 03:26PM
On this subject - anyone know where I can get those crimp ferrules in the UK?
May 10, 2017 03:50PM
David J
On this subject - anyone know where I can get those crimp ferrules in the UK?

[www.maplin.co.uk]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login