Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Precision Piezo Z-probe Now available.

Posted by DjDemonD 
Precision Piezo Z-probe Now available.
May 14, 2017 03:32PM
www.precisionpiezo.co.uk are pleased to announce the beta/early bird version of the Piezo20 hotend z-probe.

SEE IT WORKING HERE

You’ve probably seen the extensive work on piezo electric sensing here on the forum. We’ve made a unit which is ready to use with your groovemount hotend. The sensor module comes in a version which fits into your printer’s groovemount or a version with screw mount, both units hold your groovemount hotend.

• Capable of 0.01mm accuracy and repeatability std deviation in testing of 0.007mm.
• Permanently mounted no servos.
• No x or y offsets, use the nozzle as the probe.
• Not affected by effector tilt.
• Probe the entire bed, anywhere you can print you can probe.
• Works with genuine e3d v6/lite (may work with clones direct, clones via bowden requires modification)
• 1.75mm direct or bowden supported, 3mm direct supported.
• Works with any print surface*.

Fully open source hardware, our website contains the full stls and circuit diagram required to make one yourself as many people have already.

Please order at the website [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] the first 20 units are £19.99 delivered to a UK mainland address, additional £10 postage for international. After this they will be £27.99 UK delivered, £37.99 international.
We greatly appreciate feedback from users on these first few modules this is why they are offered at cost price.

Support is offered via this thread.

I’d like to thank Nial Brekke for the original idea, Mike Simpson (leadinglights) for the main body of research, Idris Nowell (Moriquendi) who has designed and made the PCBs and everyone who has offered support, encouragement and is using or has tested this idea.

*We have tested the system on PrintBite, Glass, Aluminium, PEI, painters tape, FR4. Any hard surface will work, all softer surfaces tried so far also work. A small z offset between 0.05-0.2mm will be needed depending on the surface.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2017 03:33PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Re: Precision Piezo Z-probe Now available.
May 14, 2017 04:44PM
Do you have any pictures of it being used with a E3D Titan and the E3D V6? Based on the one picture on that site, I really don't see how it would mount with the Titan. Has it been tested with a genuine E3D Titan?
May 14, 2017 04:53PM
Yes it has I currently have one on my corexy attached to a titan.

The hotend is inserted into the module, with ptfe guide tube then the whole assembly fits into the titan.

The image doesn't have the PCB attached as I was using an external PCB for convenience. But it clears the bracket and sits flush under the titan.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes

May 14, 2017 06:21PM
So I either have to redesign my titan bracket to sit higher, or I loose some build height with this sensor? How thick is this sensor block or how much build height do you end up loosing? I know the Smartrapcore Alu has a build height of 160mm, so I'd be curious to know what the end build height is without a titan mount redesign.
May 14, 2017 06:33PM
Yes you lose around 18mm, but you gain accurate and repeatable probing. Sure moving the titan up would recover that build height, provided you didn't feel it would introduce too much compliance into the bracket.

I know aero is very popular and currently this system doesn't support it. I have played about with mounting piezos into the bracket, (there's one hidden in that bracket shown, you can see the leads for it coming out below the motor) which would work with aero, but I am not planning to sell that, just make it available.

The module as it stands contains everything you need to make a piezo sensor design of your own. I am planning a kit at some point, which would take the place of the discounted module at £19.99 once the early bird modules are sold. So for £19.99 you essentially get a kit of parts right now, albeit assembled into a working module, which you could reassemble into something else.

Simon Khoury

May 15, 2017 08:06AM
Ordered one. Will be interesting to have a play. It looks like it'll go straight on to my e3d converted CTC but where I'd really like to use it is the prusa but I can't see how that will work.
May 15, 2017 08:48AM
Prusa I3 (mk2?). I haven't got one to play with. Would you consider taking some photos of how the hot end is attached and how much space there is and I will look into it.

Simon Khoury

May 15, 2017 09:02AM
Sure, i can, but probably the best you're going to get is the asswembly instructions:- [manual.prusa3d.com]
May 15, 2017 10:20AM
No that's great it shows me how it goes together. Given the design there is no space to insert a sensor. If I get chance I'll download and print the extruder assembly and see how it might be done, but if you want to take it on, I'll see if we can help you to get there. I intend to release a kit with piezo/s, wiring, PCB later on after the early birds which will come in at £19.99 when the early bird price on the modules finishes.

Simon Khoury

May 15, 2017 01:08PM
It's something i'd be interested in trying, yeah. The scad for the extruder is quite a mess really but it's decipherable.
May 15, 2017 03:09PM
Would probably take a bit of work, but given the prusa unit is bolted together, it looks like you could indent the pieces for a piezo around the top of the hotend?

Anyway, great to see this work progress. I've been using a remix of your design for a different piezo and it all works great.
May 15, 2017 03:11PM
I think a Mk2 version would be very popular. slippyr4 keep me posted I'll try to help as much as I can.

Thanks Phytone, it really does work, there's a bit of tweaking required (hopefully fairly minimal with the Piezo20 module) but its very satisfying when it works, and apart from a big temperature change (like putting the machine in a chamber) it rarely needs adjusting.

Simon Khoury

May 15, 2017 03:42PM
Sweet, just ordered one.

Looking forward to removing my FSR bed that moves around too much
May 16, 2017 10:56AM
Just to let everyone know we've had lots of orders, 5 are shipped so far. Your order number does not necessarily indicate who is next as I had some colours/types made up already. Expected delivery aim right now for UK about 7-10 days, international depends on your location but around 7 days plus shipping.

Thank you all for the orders and support, it really means a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2017 10:56AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

May 19, 2017 04:03AM
Hi everyone. PCB's are now in, huge thanks to Moriquendi for putting in the work to get them assembled, tested and shipped, so all orders currently waiting should be back in production this evening and tomorrow, some will ship tomorrow, others Monday. Thank you for your patience.

Simon Khoury

May 19, 2017 07:23AM
My pleasure, hopefully this will mean that more people can start enjoying the benefits of this development.

Idris

{Precision Piezo} Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
May 19, 2017 07:49AM

smiling smiley

Simon Khoury

May 22, 2017 06:22AM
Just 3 early bird modules left!

Many thanks to those who have placed orders, we're currently caught up with them so shipping in 1-2 days after your order has been placed at present.

Looking forward to feedback from those who have them, and very happy to offer any assistance you might need to get them working well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2017 06:28AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

May 22, 2017 06:26AM
well mine has just arrived, looks good! thanks
May 22, 2017 07:08AM
slippyr4
well mine has just arrived, looks good! thanks

You're welcome, most units should work out of the box, tighten the screws holding the hotend in fairly carefully, tighten each a little at a time alternating, they can bind a bit if the clamp part is a bit angled.

Unless the postal service have really bashed them about most will work without adjustment. Hopefully any that need adjusting will be easy enough to do using the instructions, but I might do a video guide, its easier to see what needs to be done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2017 07:09AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

May 23, 2017 05:26AM
Just 2 early birds left now. Thank you to all who have decided to give it a try.

One pointer when setting your sensor up, I have been testing them at a variety of probing speeds, it appears that around 300mm/min (5mm/s) works very well. You can probe more slowly but the response of the piezo to slow deformation is less satisfactory. Higher probing speeds also work but there is an optimum whereby faster results in less accuracy, slower results in less sensitivity.

Please let me know if you find a different strategy helps.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2017 01:28PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

May 23, 2017 06:14AM
Would the probe fit on a CNC spindle? I don't know if all the tools have the same shaft length and using the tool tip as probe would make it easier to adjust Z.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2017 06:15AM by o_lampe.
May 23, 2017 06:17AM
Yes you could mount it in a variety of ways, either use the groove mount or use the screw mount version. But... whilst these things are almost universally useful for our non-conductive, varied printing surfaces, they are completely surpassed for one surface - metal. Direct electrical contact is much more accurate and repeatable. Russ on duet forum has been gathering data [www.duet3d.com] using direct electrical contact as the control. I'm not familiar with CNC but isnt electrical contact feasible?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2017 06:18AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

May 23, 2017 06:42AM
On a CNC mill you want to route different materials. The bed itself might be aluminum ( doesn't have to ) but I want to probe the surface of the part with possibly different tool shaft lengths.
May 23, 2017 08:04AM
I see... the issue there might be designing a sensor assembly which would be sufficiently strong to support your spindle motor, if you were going to use the motor and attached tool as the probe, with the sensor module being the mount for the motor. Its not that difficult to make a module to support a hotend, which has fairly light forces on it. But it could be done, it would just have to be metal and much more substantial than the modules I am making, but still allow a 0.1mm movement to trigger the piezo, the issue there is you don't want 0.1mm play in the mechanism.

Simon Khoury

May 23, 2017 08:35AM
Just wanted to answer a few questions people have asked via PM.

1) tracking - I have not used tracked delivery for these early bird units as it would cost too much, they are sent via the Royalmail, and then your local country's postal service. International delivery aim is 7 days after shipping so allow another 4-5 days then contact me if there is no sign of it. I will offer an expedited, tracked delivery option when we go to V1.0.

2) If you ordered the wrong mount, you can switch over to groove from screw and vice versa.

I've posted both designs on Thingiverse [www.thingiverse.com] these are regularly updated if there are any tweaks.

Just print the groovemount or screw mount specific parts. When dismantling it, be very careful of the piezo leads the solder joints break away from the piezo disc very easily, and are a bit of a swine to re-solder. But piezo's are cheap and drilling them with a spur point bit and some patience is not that tricky. The piezo's in the module have been lathe cut, but drilling works also.

Put a bowden tube through the top parts, piezo and hotend to align the piezo, the top parts have alignment dots on their forward edges, these align the top part to the front of the module (towards the PCB ) then do the whole thing up using the four corner screws, ensuring that the piezo sits in the recess in the top part with the ceramic facing downwards. These four screws all need to be tightened equally, with a light preload on the piezo such that the module is not too compliant. Then re-tune the piezo as per the instructions (I will do a tuning video as soon as possible).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2017 09:16AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

May 23, 2017 08:58AM
My experience of sending the PCBs internationally has been that they take approximately double the estimated shipping time, so somewhere between 10 and 14 days. Typically they leave the UK in 24 hours and arrive in the destination country within 48, they then sit at the airport for up to a week. Its frustrating but I haven't had one go missing yet.

Idris

{Precision Piezo} Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
May 24, 2017 04:43AM
ALL 20 EARLY BIRD MODULES HAVE NOW SOLD

Massive thank you for those who have bought them. Approximately 15 have shipped the rest will go in the next few days.

Please come back to me here, feel free to post openly here in the forum with your feedback.

Things I have already been asked to do:
-take more photos of how the modules are mounted to make visualising it easier

Simon Khoury

May 24, 2017 09:47AM
COMING SOON Piezo Sensor Kits - make your own Piezo z-probe.

The kits will contain:
-PCB which can be tuned to suit the piezo/s of your choice (accepts 3 piezo inputs)
-Wiring
-Either One drilled Piezo disc (for hotend use) in 20mm or 27mm
-Or 3 x undrilled piezos in 20mm or 27mm for use as underbed sensors
-Instructions to help you make your own piezo z-probe system

Watch this space.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2017 01:31PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

May 24, 2017 07:03PM
I have been having a discussion with ElmoC about the wiring and making sure it's the right way around, to avoid shorting anything it went something like this (copied from PM so read from bottom up):

DjDemonD
I'll look into it, at present I went for a stern warning in the instructions and pre attaching the lead. The other issue though is attaching the device to your controller, there are too many variations to pre-configure the plug and there a multitude of ways that can go wrong. I thought about offering options for each controller and making up the right plug but decided against it.

I did reverse the polarity accidentally earlier on my test rig with ramps/mega just for a second but no damage was done, so I'm fairly sure (I'll check with Idris) it doesn't go 0 ohm short, like an endstop board the wrong way around.

ElmoC
Yeah. I noticed no one does. The first thing I have done with all the micro-switch end stops I have gotten has been to replace the connector with a Molex KK type. With the mechanical ones, plugging in backwards probably won't cause a problem, but with electronics on board like this? Could cause some real issues.

DjDemonD
Good idea though no one else uses them on any other endstops or sensors, but why follow the sheep eh?

ElmoC
Unit just arrived. One observation right off. Put a polarized plug on the board like a Molex KK series so people don't plug in backwards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2017 12:44PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login