Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Precision Piezo Z-probe Now available.

Posted by DjDemonD 
Re: Precision Piezo Z-probe Now available.
July 03, 2017 04:46PM
Suggy
I have that version I use for 1 machine, 3.1.0 on 2nd machine and 3.1.1 on the 3rd.
Find it easer to keep them all separate and there on 3 different pc's

Is there a reason you are keeping previous versions? Why not use the latest on all your machines?
July 03, 2017 04:51PM
DjDemonD
Only getting the refresh arrows going round and round
July 03, 2017 04:57PM
I'm on my phone so ability to do anything meaningful on the Internet is severely restricted. Will sort it out in a bit.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
July 03, 2017 04:59PM
I know what you mean, my paper weight is c**p aswell.
and Thanks will have a shower and come back
July 03, 2017 05:10PM
I second the "cold lightly tap" before any probing, especially if the piezo is highly sensitive.

Currently working on a remix of the 25mm version in order to fully print without any support with a round shape (still with 4 screw attachment), I'll keep you inform.
July 03, 2017 05:17PM
Tinkercad share [www.tinkercad.com]

Hope this helps.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
July 03, 2017 06:26PM
OMG you have put a lot of time into this, hat's off to you sir.
And it worked a treat.
Tried Tinker Cad some time ago and never got to grips with it. I use DesignSparks Mechanical and still find new stuff every time I use it
July 04, 2017 03:59AM
Its basic but I am fairly expert with it now. Its a shame I didnt put the effort into learning fusion 360 instead. This project has been going a good 4-6 months for me and a year for Leadinglights and Moriquendi. This module is my 4th version and is the most compact and simplest in construction especially when I implement the last one in green with the brass inserts rather than m3 nuts.

That being said the 27mm one that Lykle took on and made into an effector is still very effective and I have one on my Kossel XL.

Simon Khoury

July 04, 2017 05:27AM
Thanks DJ,
Nice to be appreciated every now and then. :-)

Need any help on the 25 mm?
Lykle
July 04, 2017 05:41AM
No worries smiling smiley

Thanks for the offer of help, but this was a straightforward change, it was just a case of filling the relief for the M3 bolt and extending the 3.5mm hole (which has slightly more tolerance than it originally had to accommodate the varying sizes of groovemount on various hotends), out to the edge. The brass inserts I have are OD 4mm so I can now just heat them and pull them into the module. A pack of 1000 for £10
- marvellous.

Makes the module look neater (see the tinkercad link above (its the green module at the front), and faster/easier to assemble.

Simon Khoury

July 04, 2017 11:27AM
yeah I need to get myself a pack of those as well.
Nice to see it happily moving along.

Lykle
July 04, 2017 12:12PM
DjDemonD
The brass inserts I have are OD 4mm so I can now just heat them and pull them into the module. A pack of 1000 for £10.

You have a link to the ones you are using? And how are you heating them?
July 04, 2017 12:44PM
[www.aliexpress.com]

With a micro blow torch/creme brulee maker. 5 seconds heating, takes about 2-3 minutes to cool. Ideal applicator would be a smoothed shank machine screw with just 3mm of thread on the end. I use a long m3 machine screw, the heat slightly taps a thread into the plastic but this doesn't affect how the product works.

Simon Khoury

July 04, 2017 12:55PM
I use a cheap soldering iron, took the bit out and chucked it in a drill then filed the last few mm down till they fitted into the insert. I've found that the thread on these frequently isn't concentric with the the outer diameter.

Idris

{Precision Piezo} Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
July 04, 2017 01:47PM
DjDemonD
[www.aliexpress.com]

With a micro blow torch/creme brulee maker. 5 seconds heating, takes about 2-3 minutes to cool. Ideal applicator would be a smoothed shank machine screw with just 3mm of thread on the end. I use a long m3 machine screw, the heat slightly taps a thread into the plastic but this doesn't affect how the product works.

So are you heating the insert and then pulling it into the part (put screw threw hole, attach insert, heat, pull screw out, pulling heated insert into place), or pushing it into the part?
July 04, 2017 02:12PM
Pulling the brass insert into the module using the screw, ideally with a hotend heatsink in the clamp to ensure alignment. Once one side is done I screw in but not tighten the final m3 20mm machine screw and then heat press the other side.

For the upper part, the 25mm screw mount needs two brass inserts in it. Pulled through again but ensure the applicator screw is straight as it cools or when doing up the two m3 screws to mount the module it will be difficult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2017 02:16PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

July 04, 2017 03:53PM
New stock released.

So 3 modules, with new custom colours are available to purchase in the shop.
And 9 piezo kits.

You can now also buy the printed parts for a module (but not assembled) and the printed parts for a titan/aero bracket. Probably best to consider ordering with a kit to save on shipping (for international orders).

I can release more, its time dependant, so as/when I have more time more modules/kits will become available.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2017 04:03PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

July 04, 2017 04:04PM
Quick question 20 or 27mm? best?
and is the control board the same weather its 1 or 3?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2017 04:05PM by Suggy.
July 04, 2017 04:05PM
So 20mm more compact
27mm more sensitive

Its horses for courses. If planning to make our Piezo20 module (or titan/aero bracket) by printing your own, or buying a ready printed one then you need 20mm piezo.

Simon Khoury

July 04, 2017 04:07PM
Cheers. Sorry edited before I refreshed the screen
July 04, 2017 04:08PM
No worries the kit board (1.22 board) has 3 inputs but they are parallel connected, so if you get a Piezo20 board (as I do have more of these in stock) you just join all three piezo leads together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2017 04:09PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

July 04, 2017 04:13PM
Order placed. but I forgot to change my delivary address, can I pm you with the correct address please?
July 04, 2017 04:19PM
Please do.

Simon Khoury

July 04, 2017 04:23PM
Thank you Sir
Sent
July 04, 2017 04:28PM
Do you know off any known problems compiling the main/lower body? S3D crashes every time I try to compile the 3 parts as it is when downloaded
July 04, 2017 04:56PM
None whatsoever but I can run it through 3dmodel builders fix function if it helps.
I have reuploaded the models to our site, via the support resources page. Please download them from there.

I will update thingiverse now. Some minor errors picked up but prusa slic3r didn't have any issue with them.

Simon Khoury

July 04, 2017 04:58PM
The one I got from thingiverse compiles fine
July 04, 2017 04:59PM
Perhaps thingiverse auto fixes minor errors. I have also uploaded v1.1 which I will be shipping which use brass inserts instead of m3 nuts, but if you havent got these use v1.0 its the same apart from that.

Simon Khoury

July 04, 2017 05:00PM
I will do some build instructions, I have been keeping these under my hat to discourage mass cloning.

Simon Khoury

July 04, 2017 05:04PM
You can pm them me if you like, its for personal use only. Got the 3d bug. Have 4 printers and 1 on its waysmiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login