Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Precision Piezo Z-probe Now available.

Posted by DjDemonD 
Re: Precision Piezo Z-probe Now available.
September 11, 2017 11:43AM
Sounds like a config issue. I've not used a Cartesian machine before but I have been using smoothie for a while.

It looks to me like you have pin 1.29 as both the gamma min endstop and your z-probe, is this normal for a cartesian machine? With a delta you use three endstops and a seperate z-probe

Idris

Edit: scratch that, you've got the pull up enabled on the z-probe pin ( zprobe.probe_pin 1.29^) this means that the smoothieboard is pulling pin 1.29 high then reading it, finding a high voltage, and assuming that the probe is triggered. Remove the ^ from your z-probe (and gamma max) pin definitions and you should be fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 11:48AM by Moriquendi.

{Precision Piezo} Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
September 11, 2017 12:17PM
Moriquendi
Sounds like a config issue. I've not used a Cartesian machine before but I have been using smoothie for a while.

It looks to me like you have pin 1.29 as both the gamma min endstop and your z-probe, is this normal for a cartesian machine? With a delta you use three endstops and a seperate z-probe

Idris

Edit: scratch that, you've got the pull up enabled on the z-probe pin ( zprobe.probe_pin 1.29^) this means that the smoothieboard is pulling pin 1.29 high then reading it, finding a high voltage, and assuming that the probe is triggered. Remove the ^ from your z-probe (and gamma max) pin definitions and you should be fine.

I did what you suggested and that didn't work either. Here is a video of me doing G28 followed by G32, same result. I really don't like this. It homes fine, and then looks like it's about to attempt to do the probe but then just stops after the first tap. Video here: [youtu.be]

Terminal output is:
SENDING:G1 X150 Y150
>>> G28
SENDING:G28
>>> G32
SENDING:G32
Rectangular Grid Probe...
Finding bed failed, check the initial height setting
Probe failed to complete, check the initial probe height and/or initial_height settings

I really need to solve this, I have a backlog of prints that need to go out and didn't think it would be this diffcult swapping from 8 bit Marlin to 32 bits smoothie.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 12:27PM by klcjr89.
September 11, 2017 12:33PM
What happens if you move the z-axis up 100-150mm then do a G30? As the z-axis is moving, tap the nozzle, it should register and reverse the z-movement.

Idris

{Precision Piezo} Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
September 11, 2017 12:40PM
Moriquendi
What happens if you move the z-axis up 100-150mm then do a G30? As the z-axis is moving, tap the nozzle, it should register and reverse the z-movement.

Idris

Did:

G28
G1 X150 Y150
G1 Z150
G30

It reports Z probe not triggered when I issue the G30. Nothing moved at all.

Tried G32 again and it did the same thing as the post video link in my prior post. sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 12:40PM by klcjr89.
September 11, 2017 12:40PM
Watching the video it does seem odd that it is performing some unusual x and y movements normally it just goes to the origin and then dives to probe. Are the x and y endstop offsets correct?

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
September 11, 2017 12:42PM
Should be since it's homing right? I used the Azteeg x5 mini config file so if that's wrong I'm sure alot of other people are as well.
September 11, 2017 12:42PM
Should be since it's homing right? I used the Azteeg x5 mini v3 config file so if that's wrong I'm sure alot of other people's are as well. The X and Y endstops are the 2 wire GND/SIG variety.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 12:42PM by klcjr89.
September 11, 2017 12:43PM
What is the m119 probe status when it's not touching anything now? And then if you hit m119 whilst constantly tapping the nozzle upwards?

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
September 11, 2017 12:44PM
X_min:0 Y_min:1 Z_min:0 pins- (X)P1.24:0 (Y)P1.26:1 (Z)P1.29:0 Probe: 0 
ok

I can't tap it at the same time as issuing M119, I'm not that fast.

Would having a negative X work origin offset prevent it from probing?

alpha_min                                    -2                # This gets loaded as the current position after homing when home_to_min is set

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 12:46PM by klcjr89.
September 11, 2017 12:45PM
I just tap and tap with one hand and hit enter with the other.

Simon Khoury

September 11, 2017 12:47PM
See my edit above. Oh and I tried that, but Im not that good.
September 11, 2017 12:50PM
No having a negative x origin is fine I had that on my corexy when I had a rearm board. I'll share my config file see if you can spot something different.

Simon Khoury

September 11, 2017 12:52PM
When it homes it uses the Z-probe to find the z=0 position right?

Idris

September 11, 2017 12:53PM
At this point I think and hope the config file is just out of date and panucatt didnt bother to update it, unless Smoothie made it impossible to have the z probe as an endstop like they say you shouldn't do in their docs. I have it set to home_to_min

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 12:54PM by klcjr89.
September 11, 2017 01:06PM
So we know that the Z-probe is working and that the controller is registering the trigger.

I would look at your gamma_max setting currently it's 0, on a delta that would be wrong but perhaps not on a cartesian.

I'm afraid I've not got much more to offer having no experience of cartesian printers, you might find the smoothie section on these forums or the smoothie IRC has more answers.

Idris

September 11, 2017 01:13PM
I got smoothieware edge from smoothie and compiled it. You then get the latest version and up to date config files.

You can use z min endstop as z probe pin when I tried it. But there's nothing stopping you defining another pin and connecting the signal from the Piezo20 to both pins, as long as neither has a pull-up enabled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 01:15PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

September 11, 2017 01:49PM
config.txt

Simon Khoury

September 11, 2017 06:35PM
Do I need to pull the endstop jumper from 3v3 to 5V? Currently it's set to 3v3 on the board.

I can't believe I can't get this to work.
September 11, 2017 06:47PM
No our pcb will work on 3.3 or 5v, if you have a choice use 5v, you get brighter leds on 5v. But try it just in case it makes a difference. I understand your frustration but I wouldn't be surprised if it were either sometbing incredibly obvious or fiendishly difficult to figure out, either way it's annoying.

Simon Khoury

September 11, 2017 09:21PM
I am finding the support for smoothie to by dismal, no replies to email and a very slow google group. Would swapping the sig and gnd pins solve anything?
September 11, 2017 10:44PM
I have just tried to use 2 seperate endstop ports in parallel to see if I could see if rule out if smoothie forces no endstop as a z probe. That didn't work either!

"Probe failed to complete, probe not triggered or other error"
September 11, 2017 11:01PM
If I replace the piezo20 with just a female to female dupont wire, the same thing happens. The dupont wire connects GND and SIG together just so I can try to narrow things down, so it has got to be something with smoothie.

Something else I've noticed, why in the world does the X axis move when I send G32? If I do G1 X300 and then G32, it just moves the X axis until it hits it's min endstop. It's like somewhere in the firmware its moving the X axis instead of the Z ugh! sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 11:17PM by klcjr89.
September 12, 2017 03:21AM
The x-axis moves to the first probe point I'd assume.

When the printer homes it's using the piezo probe to home the z-axis so you know that it's working and being registered. The problem is somewhere in the configuration of the bed levelling or machine axis dimensions.

Idris

September 12, 2017 04:06AM
Smoothie support is hit and miss but then it's mainly volunteers and they are bombarded with support requests for a load of cloned cards etc... So they have a difficult job. Panucatt make some nice products but don't seem to offer much support.

Support is one of the hardest aspects of providing any product. Especially one that requires a level of research, knowledge and understanding before it can perform for the end user.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 04:18AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

September 12, 2017 05:04AM
In the meantime I have figured out how to setup my GLCD, again the lack of docs is absurd. Still trying to figure out how to probe though. sad smiley
September 12, 2017 05:13AM
Can I use a probe without a leveling strategy enabled, to see if that helps?
September 12, 2017 05:32AM
Yes you can just use the probe to home z, but if possible let move to bed centre before homing z.

Simon Khoury

September 12, 2017 05:52AM
I am not sure what to change in my start script.

M140 S[bed0_temperature] ; Set bed temperature
 no wait
M104 S[extruder0_temperature] ; Set hotend temperature 
 no wait
G91 ; Relative distances
G1 Z5 ; Move Z up to clear any obstructions
G90 ; Absolute distances
G28 XY ; Home X and Y axes
G1 X150 Y150 F6000 ; Go to the center of the bed
G28 Z ; Home the Z axis
G1 X310 Y2 F6000 ; Go to the front right corner of the bed
M400 ; Wait for current move to finish
G1 Z-0.2 F1200 ; Position nozzle below the plane of the bed surface
M190 S[bed0_temperature] ; Set bed temperature and wait
M109 S[extruder0_temperature] ; Set hotend temperature and wait
G92 E0 ; Reset extrusion distance
G1 E10 F300 ; Extrude 10mm of filament
G1 X240 F1200 ; Wipe nozzle
G1 Z[first_layer_height] F1200 ;

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 06:40AM by klcjr89.
September 12, 2017 06:57AM
Hi DJ,
This is Vasan. As I mentioned in my Zesty forum, thanks for the great work! I have much better first layers and very consistent.

I want to use them for my Titan Aero also. I am planning to use an effector designed by Lykle (Ironic!!). Here is the link for the design: [www.thingiverse.com]

If I mount the disk between motor and Aero (like a spacer) with your idea, it will undergo more like a shear rather than bending but who knows, the piezo is so sensitive, it might respond. I am looking for suggestions and ways to mount the Piezo disk in this setup.

Best Regards,
Vasan
September 12, 2017 07:17AM
klcjr89
I am not sure what to change in my start script.

M140 S[bed0_temperature] ; Set bed temperature
 no wait
M104 S[extruder0_temperature] ; Set hotend temperature 
 no wait
G91 ; Relative distances
G1 Z5 ; Move Z up to clear any obstructions
G90 ; Absolute distances
G28 XY ; Home X and Y axes
G1 X150 Y150 F6000 ; Go to the center of the bed
G28 Z ; Home the Z axis
G1 X310 Y2 F6000 ; Go to the front right corner of the bed
G1 Z-0.2 F1200 ; Position nozzle below the plane of the bed surface
M190 S[bed0_temperature] ; Set bed temperature and wait
M109 S[extruder0_temperature] ; Set hotend temperature and wait
G1 E10 F300 ; Extrude 10mm of filament
G1 X240 F1200 ; Wipe nozzle
G1 Z[first_layer_height] F1200 ;

Try G30 Z0 instead of G28 Z if it's not working with G28.

Also consider moving to bed centre, then M400 to pause (I presume that's a 400ms pause?) then G28 Z or G30 Z0. This allows mechanical noise to settle before probing.

Simon Khoury

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login