Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Precision Piezo Z-probe Now available.

Posted by DjDemonD 
Re: Precision Piezo Z-probe Now available.
December 27, 2017 08:10AM
For anyone who might be interested I've made a video detailing how I make the PCBs,

LINK

Idris

{Precision Piezo} Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
December 27, 2017 12:15PM
Thanks for the vid Idris.My hands are not as still as yours.thumbs upthumbs up The V2 is working very well on my Tevo BWsmiling smiley
Happy Holidays and the best in NY
Stef
December 27, 2017 12:27PM
OMG Idris, that´s a lot of manual work!

Honestly, I thought that you got from China an almost finished board, not just the PCB... impressive guys!

Regards

Moriquendi
For anyone who might be interested I've made a video detailing how I make the PCBs,

LINK

Idris
December 27, 2017 03:02PM
Steady hands are the key, I have to watch how much coffee I drink. Once you get into the swing of it it goes fairly fast however and as you can see in the video I've put a lot of effort into making tools and equipment to make the process faster.

There are significant set up costs involved with having the PCB assembled in China though we will probably get to a point where that becomes the best option. Currently, designs are still developing and new innovations being implemented frequently enough that manufacturing by hand is still the best option.

Glad the video was interesting.

Idris

{Precision Piezo} Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
December 30, 2017 07:07AM
The kit I want is not exactly listed in the shop: the 1 piezo board with sensors only, because I can print the mounts and have screws wires etc.

I can get the board [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] but where can I buy pre-drilled sensors?
December 30, 2017 07:09AM
Hi we now sell PCBs and drilled or undrilled piezo discs in the shop.
[www.precisionpiezo.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2017 07:10AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
December 30, 2017 07:14AM
DjDemonD
Hi we now sell PCBs and drilled or undrilled piezo discs in the shop.
[www.precisionpiezo.co.uk]

I don't know how I missed the Extras section of the shop!
December 31, 2017 06:29AM
Moriquendi
Steady hands are the key, I have to watch how much coffee I drink. Once you get into the swing of it it goes fairly fast however and as you can see in the video I've put a lot of effort into making tools and equipment to make the process faster.

There are significant set up costs involved with having the PCB assembled in China though we will probably get to a point where that becomes the best option. Currently, designs are still developing and new innovations being implemented frequently enough that manufacturing by hand is still the best option.

Glad the video was interesting.

Idris

I can't believe you guys are assembling those boards by hand and are still able to sell them so cheap. I can't wait til y'all get some more universal pcbs in stock so I can get me one. I'll probably go the hot end mount if I can find the .stl files that'll work with my diy printer and knockoff hot end. If not, I'll have to go with the under bed option. I'm so tired of the feeler gauge method of bed leveling. I keep losing my feeler gauge for one. tongue sticking out smiley
December 31, 2017 07:21AM
Hello all

before I start to print and start tinkering is there any big mistakes that I have done??

My taught is that it would fit inside the original metal "hood" of my Anycubic Kossel, and it might....

Happy New Year !!!!!
Attachments:
open | download - piezo_20_Anycubic_kossel.JPG (203 KB)
open | download - piezo_20_Anycubic_kossel_mount.JPG (99 KB)
December 31, 2017 07:27AM
Do I have the sensitivity set too high when the piezo triggers as the axis is moving while printing?

ampapa,
December 31, 2017 07:57AM
Triggering during printing isn't normally a problem, there are a number of potential causes. You may be over extruding causing bumps on the print that press on the nozzle and cause triggers. You may have wobbly/bumpy axis causing enough vibration of the print head to cause triggers during printing. You might have the sensitivity set too high but really the sensitivity is only important during probing, if you're probing successfully and accurately I wouldn't worry about triggering during printing, my (delta) printer does quite regularly.

Idris

December 31, 2017 08:39AM
I'll put more stock on later, I've quite a backlog of orders.

And yes we can make them by hand and do it cheaply and make a (slender) profit. This might not continue forever at some point volume manufacture will make sense.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
December 31, 2017 08:43AM
Can I ask for 2 volunteers who have used the Piezo20 module before to beta test a new idea?

I'd also like 2 volunteers who have not tried it before.

Any takers? I'll send the beta product to you for free. You are welcome to keep it as long as you give us feedback.

Simon Khoury

December 31, 2017 09:08AM
Nitram
Hello all

before I start to print and start tinkering is there any big mistakes that I have done??

My taught is that it would fit inside the original metal "hood" of my Anycubic Kossel, and it might....

Happy New Year !!!!!

There are designs like this, but please be cautious, the piezo disc should not be electrically connected to the hotend heatsink, in case of heater cartridge or thermistor failure making a circuit with the piezo disc. Chances are it will only damage the piezo PCB but your controller could get zapped. So we can only endorse designs that keep the piezo disc insualted, maybe wrap some kapton tape around it?

Simon Khoury

December 31, 2017 09:14AM
Happy to volunteer my printer as a beta test.

I have a the Universal probe.

Regards

Danny
December 31, 2017 09:15AM
Thanks for the fast reply...

There isn't any conducting materials that is in contact with the piezo disk.

How much Bending is normal for the piezo disk when clamped in between the hot end and the mount?
December 31, 2017 09:22AM
DjDemonD
Can I ask for 2 volunteers who have used the Piezo20 module before to beta test a new idea?

Any takers? I'll send the beta product to you for free. You are welcome to keep it as long as you give us feedback.

I could be the that one hasn't tried it.. as I only have one disk as mocup right now..

What kind of testing are you going to perform..??

As a CV

Mechanical engineer
never pleased ...

Own a Delta
Have unlimited access to a MK2 MM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2017 10:14AM by Nitram.
December 31, 2017 10:04AM
Nitram, Bending is 0.1mm, compression is less but less sensitive.

UKflyer, I'll pm you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2017 10:04AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

December 31, 2017 10:09AM
I would like to volunteer if possible smiling smiley

I have one coreXY (with Duet) and one prusa I3 (with ramps + Marlin) with the piezo installed.

Cheers

DjDemonD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2017 10:10AM by okercho.
December 31, 2017 10:19AM
Ill PM you too.

Simon Khoury

January 01, 2018 12:07PM
After using your PCB with the piezo sandwiched between the titan and hotend, I went for the swap into the extruder motor mount. Firstly, installing it 180 degrees does not work, the darn thing kept activating when travelling...

So after some reengineering of the assembly on my DIY v-slot installed the right way round and have gained around 40mm more print height...
I didn't need to mess with the pot settings.

After several months, still can't believe how good these are...

If you need another UK tester, happy to help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2018 12:08PM by Phytone.
January 01, 2018 12:13PM
Will let you know.. we're looking to have two existing customers, two who haven't used it before and one random.

Triggering when travelling isn't really a problem especially with pause before probing.

Thanks for the words of support.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2018 12:15PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

January 01, 2018 12:57PM
I think my problem was really the piezo was installed upside down - or is that not an issue?
January 01, 2018 12:58PM
It's okay if you reverse the polarity in most cases.

Simon Khoury

January 01, 2018 02:53PM
DjDemonD
Awesome work by Jardar Nordbo (4Mb give them chance to load):

Not sure if it's been brought to attention yet, but the piezo discs are being shown mounted incorrectly (they're upside down) in the animation and would result in the wire getting crushed.
January 01, 2018 03:11PM
Fair point I guess that animation has run its course.

Simon Khoury

January 01, 2018 07:03PM
Okay so we have 3 people signed up for the beta test, thank you for helping us. We need 1 more who has not used the system before...

Simon Khoury

January 01, 2018 07:05PM
On the subject of animations is anyone here good at that sort of thing? I'd love to discuss an idea with you if you are? PM me.

Simon Khoury

January 02, 2018 04:33PM
Thanks to all volunteers we now have our 5 beta testers.

Simon Khoury

January 04, 2018 10:04AM
Sanity check: is this configuration for Hypercube X carriage OK? I tapped the carriage and got the blue light.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login