Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Precision Piezo Z-probe Now available.

Posted by DjDemonD 
Re: Precision Piezo Z-probe Now available.
July 04, 2018 07:00AM
Those numbers look really good, I'm glad it's working well and you're happy with it.

Idris

{Precision Piezo} Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
July 04, 2018 11:48AM
Hi, First of all I would like to say your product looks amazing. Especially the Orion. But I was wondering if it it possible to mount it to the motor the same way the original Piezo20 was mounted for a Titan (Aero)?
July 04, 2018 12:47PM
It might work, it's difficult to say until someone's tried it. The Orion was designed to work between the hotend and the rest of the printer, we do have a bracket designed for the Titan and Titan Aero but it uses a 20mm piezo and a Universal board.

Idris

{Precision Piezo} Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
July 04, 2018 12:52PM
Is there any progress on an Orion for Chimera or Cyclops ?

I saw some comments about that being the next iteration.

Thanks
July 04, 2018 01:09PM
The chimera/cyclops will fit the current Orion PCB, only the plastic parts need modification. I've been contacted by a couple of people who are working on finalising the design, hopefully I'll hear back from them before too long.

Idris

July 04, 2018 01:21PM
Is this being achieved by turning the board through 45degrees and using the two empty piezo openings to pass the bowden/filament through ?

If so what are the centres for the piezo openings ?

Thanks
July 05, 2018 12:33PM
That's the plan. The hole spacing is roughly 18mm on the v1 Orion boards but there should be enough clearance to allow either the old or new chimera/cyclops heatsink to be used.

Idris

July 07, 2018 08:13AM
Received my latest Orion in this mornings post.

Great to see that through the board sensitivity adjustment has made it into production.

No excuse now not to get the Chimera+ installed on the S4
July 07, 2018 11:46AM
I am looking for some advice on the attached model

This model allows me to attach the Orion to a Chimera (or Chimera+) heatsink.

It is based on the standard Orion groove mount clamp, without the clamp obviously.

The Chimera mount screws are countersunk below the level of the cube surface and therefore shouldn't interfere with the Orion module

My questions are as follows-

Is the centre arc full enough to create the preload ?
The corner screw holes are raised 1.4mm from the cube surface and the centre arc is raised 1.8mm from the cube surface. Is this enough preload or too much ?
Attachments:
open | download - Orion mount for Chimera.png (263.4 KB)
July 08, 2018 12:14PM
Geometry looks good however I don't own a Chimera so I can say for sure that it'll work.

Idris

July 08, 2018 06:31PM
I have attached a couple of pictures of the test fit.

Need to attach the hotend and part cooling fan but I will try some probe tests without heating the hotend first
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_2059.png (429 KB)
open | download - IMG_2060.png (432.4 KB)
July 09, 2018 05:24AM
I think you're going to run into problems with the clamp part being stiffer than the bracket part. If you have issues with the probe not triggering when it hits the bed I'd suggest making the bracket stiffer.

Idris

July 09, 2018 07:28AM
Idris,

Thanks for that.

I am currently using a similar plate for the Orion with a E3Dv6 and that 'seems' to be okay but will look to add some bracing the top side of the mounting plate and see if that makes any difference to the repeated probe accuracy.

Dan
July 11, 2018 08:42PM
After reading through this thread it seems as tho the precision piezo has been developed to only work with the Duet control board and RRF or Marlin firmware. I didn't realize this when I ordered my Orion. Has anyone had success with repetier firmware?
My printer is a heavily modified Mendel Max 1.5 (I call it a MyMax) with a RAMBO control board and Repetier firmware.
I haven't been able to find a configuration.g file much less figure out where the lines of g code are written so they're inserted into the slice.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
July 12, 2018 02:54AM
The board behaves in the same way as a microswitch, just like the ones used as endstops. I think that the reason you don't hear more about it working with repetier is that fewer people on here use it, there is absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work.

Idris

July 12, 2018 03:54AM
Repetier even supports the pause before probing feature that is available across all major firmware now, which helps to achieve better results on setups where mechanical noise needs a few 1/10ths of a second to abate.

Just set it up as a normally closed (or active low) endstop, usually with pullup disabled (but if you're having any issue trying with pullup enabled can sometimes help).

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
July 12, 2018 05:52AM
Great news. Have tried with no luck so far but I'll figure it out.
Is there any basic code I need to add somewhere?
Hopefully someone that uses repetier firmware will chime in.
Thanks
July 12, 2018 07:17AM
Try this page:

[www.repetier.com]
July 12, 2018 11:59AM
For anyone that is interested I have just uploaded my current design for an Orion Chimera/Chimera+ mount.

[www.thingiverse.com]

Any suggestion for improvements feel free to comment.

Dan
July 12, 2018 07:48PM
Thanks but I'm replacing a functioning proximity sensor with the piezo.
July 12, 2018 08:12PM
Your proximity sensor should make no difference. Either it is normally closed NC or open NO. I have proximity sensors on X & Y with the piezo under bed, My preference. Using hot end version action is same. Change or verify your firmware to reflect the active low condition when activated. I have tested both on my black widow with various size piezos. Follow the instructions on setting up the firmware, recompile, upload and test as suggested. Excellent results!!
Regards,
Stef
July 15, 2018 06:50AM
Blaisun
Hi Everyone!

I have recently decided to try out a sensor for my printer (GeeeTech Delta G2S Pro). I don't have any experience with probes or sensors on 3d printers, but have had my printer for about 2.5 years with lots of tinkering.

After spending quite some time reading through this thread, i have decided to go with your Precision Piezo universal kit with 20mm discs to try an under-bed system. While waiting for the package to arrive, i have designed the bed mounts that i would like to try, but was hoping that you guys might provide some feedback on my design.

I had taken a look at the mounts available on Thingverse, but none of them quite met the arrangement of my bed with the ability to secure the glass print surface on top of the aluminum bed. The part where the piezo goes is pretty close to some of the other designs i had seen. I fully intend on sharing the files on Thingverse if it works as intended.

A couple of questions i have is:
will the sensor be more or less sensitive with more preload or tension on the bed?
does it matter which side of the disc the pressure is on, ceramic or brass?
I read where the discs sensitivity are affected by the bed temp. is this theoretical or have people been experiencing this with their under-bed sensors with heated beds?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

Installed the sensors this weekend... seem to work well...
[www.thingiverse.com]

07:21:07.350 : M48 Z-Probe Repeatability Test
07:21:37.146 : Finished!
07:21:37.146 : Mean: 0.037555 Min: 0.035 Max: 0.040 Range: 0.005
07:21:37.146 : Standard Deviation: 0.002487

Thanks for a great product!
July 20, 2018 06:41PM
I have a delta and I can't get the Orion to work with Duet. I have your Piezo 20 on my cartesian and like it, but I can't get the setup right with Duet. Is there a tutorial?
July 24, 2018 12:18AM
Anyone using an orion with a Prusa MK2S? Really hate PEI and prefer glass, bit backwards to take away the built in autobed leveling but would like to streamline my use of glass with it
July 24, 2018 06:20AM
There's no reason why it shouldn't work, what kind of controller board does that printer have? and what kind of sensor does it use at the moment?

Idris

July 25, 2018 03:20PM
Where do you go for support for Precision Piezo Products?
July 25, 2018 05:29PM
Here, or via email or if you're using a duet then the duet forum.

Idris

July 25, 2018 05:44PM
The duet forum sent me here...are you guys fighting?
July 25, 2018 06:02PM
Not at all, just a miscommunication. Simon uses duet, I never have. He's mostly off doing other things but sometimes he drops in to help.

What point have you got to now, did you follow the steps outlined by dc42 over on the duet forum?

Idris

July 25, 2018 09:13PM
Dc42 was not helpful. He recommended removing the z-probe deploy and retract files. When I did, my machine when given a G30, would hammer the tower endstops until I shut it down. I put those files back and my printer again was operational. I believe I have a defective Orion module. I have asked to return it, we will see what the response is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login