Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Precision Piezo Z-probe Now available.

Posted by DjDemonD 
Re: Precision Piezo Z-probe Now available.
July 08, 2019 04:07PM
Ah ok thanks!

This cheapie lerdge board is simply a stop gap as my Geeetech one failed. Nearly pulled the trigger on a duet WiFi, but stopped when I heard there is a new one coming out.
July 08, 2019 04:15PM
Hi, I have a few questions:

- I was unable to locate the schematics for the board with the mosfets (v2.85?), is it available?

- Are the three piezo sensors connected to a single resistor (R1?) on this board?

bowzee
July 08, 2019 04:16PM
Assuming you're talking about an upcoming Duet3? As far as I know the Duet3 is quite a different product than the DuetWifi and aimed at different segments, they're complimentary rather than it being a straight upgrade. As I understand it the Duet3 is aimed at larger, more complex machines with more complex requirements. I whole-heartedly advocate getting a Duet2 for any domestic printer, you will not be disappointed.

Idris

{Precision Piezo} Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
July 08, 2019 04:19PM
Thanks for the advice! I’ll get it ordered. Going with a legit one for the support - there are so many clones. Must suck for the creators.
July 08, 2019 04:29PM
It can be difficult to break through the desire to pay the lowest possible price. However, there are many people who see that paying the additional cost and buying from the creator is overall a better deal. Not only because the support is almost always better but also because it encourages innovation and progress.

@Bowzee, I have not published a schematic of the latest design, what is it you want to know?
Yes, the three piezo inputs are wired directly in parallel.

Idris

{Precision Piezo} Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
July 08, 2019 04:34PM
I wholeheartedly agree, i work for a software dev company and we also have companies trying to rip what we do.
July 08, 2019 05:01PM
@Moriquendi thanks for the blazing fast reply. I am concerned about the voltages and if chips will be fried, so a detailed schematic would be nice. We (a group of friends) have assembled some Ultimaker-2-like machines but we are using non-standard voltages (mostly 24 VDC). These lack any automatic z-measuring, so this is why your boards might be an interesting upgrade provided that the entire machines do not get destroyed.

BTW, is Trianglelab one of your reps. or is it selling knockoffs?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2019 05:04PM by bowzee.
July 08, 2019 05:16PM
24v will push too much current through the LEDs, 12v is OK 5v is better. The digital output is open drain so the piezo PCB only pulls the signal line low though you should verify the voltage of the signal pin before plugging it into your controller. The analogue output can be as high as V+.

Triangle labs are selling clones of a very early version of the board, not a rep.

Idris

July 08, 2019 06:27PM
@Moriquendi what about changing a few resistors on the board, will this make it 24VDC compatible? (I believe that the op-amp will take up to 32 VDC)
July 09, 2019 03:21AM
I'm afraid the capacitors are only rated to 16v so you'd need to replace them too and at that point you may as well just run a voltage regulator to provide 5v.

Idris

July 09, 2019 05:58PM
@Moriquendi, OK, well, I think that we will wait until you make version 2.86 with 24 VDC compatibility available... HAHAHA!!!
July 09, 2019 09:44PM
Thought I would share what worked for me for underbed mounts with a very heavy (3.9 Kg) 400mm diameter bed. There are 3 sets of 27mm discs. Each set is wired in parallel with the 2 discs in each set opposite polarity. One disc in each set has the bed resting on it through a printed cylinder and the other does not. They are all wired to a universal board. With this set up the noise picked up from the frame is drastically less than when I tried it with just 3 discs. A very slight touch on the bed will trigger but homing and probing movements do not.

Here are my duet settings:
M558 P5 R0.5 H3 F100 T3000 I1 A5 S0.02 ; Set Z probe type to effector and the dive height + speeds
G31 P500 X0 Y0 Z-0.064 ; Set Z probe trigger value, offset and trigger height

It always only does the 2 probes per spot, I haven't tried to lower the S value to see where it isn't consistent with 2.
July 11, 2019 06:20AM
Hi,

I just got a new 2.85 board. Can someone confirm the difference between the pins. In reading some of these posts i believe the following is true. VCC and Ground are the same and only use one of each

Signal pin D is digital and i believe gets pulled to ground on a trigger

Signal pin A is analog and constantly outputs something

I have a duet 1.04 board that this will get wired to. What would be the recommended approach?
July 20, 2019 11:39AM
Hey, I bought a couple Andromeda probes a while back and was about to install them ... but it turns out my bed is mounted on M4 screws and the center screws of the Andromeda 1.0 is for M3 screws only. Can I simply drill out the hole so it clears an M4 screw?
July 20, 2019 02:54PM
That shouldn't be a problem, there should be enough clearance.

Idris

July 21, 2019 10:40PM
Painful confession:

I was ordering some consumable stuff from Triangle Lab (bowden tube, open belting, nozzles, bowden adapter and clips, all known good from previous buying experiences) saw that they had cloned the 2.75 and impulsed bought one to trigger another coupon. I am regretting it now. The build quality is for shit. Turns out it comes with a few piezo disc's and wiring harnesses, which dulls the pain a little for extra bits to play with, but its still shit.

The TL version the main indicator LED's don't light up. The board seems to work, its just not confidence inspiring. This in on my TinyBoy/ Fabrikator Mini with custom PCB and mount.

[youtu.be]

Sauce-

The real one is way nicer and I know that Moriquendi personally solders each one and they look great. I will attempt to fix this with my middle-aged eyes after the V2.85 one gets here.

Difference is $16USD for the crappy clone ~ 3 weeks delivery, $26USD for genuine shipped from PP ~7 day delivery last time I bought.

caveat emptor
July 22, 2019 05:04AM
Huh, I didn't even know they'd cloned the v2.75. They must have bought one and reverse engineered it because the board files are not online and have never been shared. Still, if it's worth stealing it must be good right?

The only thing that really bugs me is that they still call it a "PrecisionPiezo".

Idris

July 22, 2019 03:16PM
Moriquendi - Do you think that you could you find a way to forgive me?
July 23, 2019 07:59AM
Maybe... eventuallygrinning smileysmileys with beer

July 24, 2019 05:32AM
Ive been tinkering with the piezos for a while now. i have the universal set 2.85 as i mentioned above, but i think i should of gone for the orion and redesigned my hotend.

i just cant seem to get a good balance between a solid hotend, and accurate sensitivity. Loosening it up its perfect on levelling but the prints are not clean and accurate as there is a wobble on the hotend when there is a direction change or at higher speeds.

at the moment i have bettered this by placing soft silicone washers under the bolt heads which keeps pressure on to keep it all together, but this still negatively impacts the sensitivity. The sensor is at its most sensitive settings and i have tried several discs.

i have a geetech a10 frame, which is a clone of the ender 3 i believe, and using a v6 hotend with a decent fan arrangement.

there seems to be pros and cons with hotend vs bed mounts for the piezos. has anyone been successful with bed sensors for the ender/geetech?

Oh btw, drilling these discs is awful - i now use a single hole punch from amazon for £5 - its designed for 25 sheets of paper at a time. It cuts 6mm holes flawlessly with zero damage to the ceramic and is perfectly flat with no burring in seconds with no mess whatsoever.

ps. i have purchased several different sizes of piezos so i can try a few things - my CAD skills are childlike at the moment, but i have 12mm discs and an idea to make a 3d printed version of the orion plate that fits the original sizing of your first bowden v6 mounts, as i have already encorporated the top plate into my hotend build already printed. has anyone done this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2019 05:39AM by simonemery555.
July 24, 2019 05:48AM
+1 for your hole-punching method. I had similar problems and solved it with a punch used to render cd/dvd discs unreadable smiling smiley
July 24, 2019 06:20AM
just quickly punched through a failed previous disk as per pic to show drilled vs hole punch

i use "Rapesco Sole Single Hole Punch Plier - 23 Sheet 6mm Hole" off amazon - its £4.12 on prime..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2019 06:22AM by simonemery555.
Attachments:
open | download - piezo holes.jpg (23.7 KB)
July 24, 2019 06:29AM
My post including pics from last year
Link
July 24, 2019 06:31AM
i never knew a 'cd punch' existed lol smiling smiley
July 26, 2019 02:51PM
holy jimmy johns subs that was fast!

ordered 7/22, rec'd 7/26 in Chicago by air mail.

I think it was faster to get here than when I ordered IR sensor from Filastruder which came from Georgia.
July 26, 2019 05:07PM
... and here it's been like two weeks and I am still waiting to get a paypal invoice (special circumstances) so I can pay for a couple of Orions ....

(well I did say 'anytime, no rush')

LOL .... just received the paypal notice .... thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2019 06:20PM by jens53.
July 26, 2019 06:01PM
Ermm, sorry about that, I'd completely forgotten. I've just sent the request.

Idris

July 31, 2019 10:11PM
After a lot of experimenting, I managed to get my Orion sensor to work on a Chimera dual filament system using the suggested mounting system at [www.thingiverse.com]. This mount is considered a 'beta' version, designed by Moriquendi and was apparently not personally tested.
Is there any work being done to improve this mount ?

In order for the mount to work for me, I had to loosen up the screws between sections of the mount by quite a bit and that, I suspect, has resulted in a bit of nozzle flex during periods of fast acceleration. Despite my having reduced acceleration substantially, I believe that the flex in the hot end system produces some less than desirable artifacts in small features. The artifacts appear to be individual layers of filament not lining up with each other 100%. Comparing a print done with the piezo sensor (ie some nozzle flex) and one done with a BLTouch sensor (ie rigid nozzle) shows a noticeable difference in complicated objects (in this case a 7 mm diameter mounting boss with 4 little gussets) between the two prints.
This is not a game stopper but I would like to improve things if possible. I have a couple new analog Orion boards coming which might allow me to tune sensitivity better but as I said, I am wondering if anyone is looking at improving the mount to make it more rigid.
August 08, 2019 10:51PM
I gather by the lack of response to my last question, that I am on my own in modifying the mount for the Orion on a Chimera hot end.
I have come across one post (and I am sorry to say I lost track of it so I can't credit the person who thought of it) that inserts special soft o rings between the mount that attaches to the heat sink and to the Orion sensor PCB. This, in theory, gives a bit of flexibility where it is needed. The o rings that the poster suggested are keyboard dampeners and they are softer than standard o rings. I did order a batch of these o rings and they arrived today. It will be interesting to see if this setup gives me flex without causing slop smiling smiley Another way of putting it is that instead of designing the flex into the mount itself, it will come from the squishyness of these fancy new o rings. I will wait for the new version of Orion boards to arrive before I mess with things so it will be a while before I know if this works .
August 10, 2019 06:26AM
There isn't much demand for Chimera/Cyclops compatibility so it's not something I've put a lot of work into I'm afraid. It's only by pure chance that the holes in the Orion line up with the bowden connectors.

I do know that some people have had success with the mount I designed so it may be that there's something else going on. I'm happy to help if I can but I don't have a Chimera to test with.

Idris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login