Re: Precision Piezo Z-probe Now available.
July 26, 2018 04:14AM
Strange, I haven't had any return request. Going by what you describe on the duet forum (assuming you are Craig);

Thanks for the help, and I have it responding now. But in an unusual manner. When I type M30 it drops down 400 mm andit won't stop. After that it slows down and makes several random moves. Next it moves to X0 Y0 and probes. It then moves randomly for 3 more moves and comes back to X0 Y0 and Z35, which is accurate. I have been told my firmware needs to be updated. So that's where I am going next.

The Orion is working as it should and what you have is a firmware config issue. I don't think it's fair to say that dc42 was not helpful, he's trying to help and making useful suggestions but these things can take a little time, have patience.

Idris

{Precision Piezo} Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
July 26, 2018 07:26AM
Moriquendi
.... I don't think it's fair to say that dc42 was not helpful, he's trying to help and making useful suggestions but these things can take a little time, have patience.

I pointed out on Tuesday that Craig had an error in his config.g file, see [forum.duet3d.com], but he hasn't replied to that post yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2018 07:26AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 27, 2018 08:44AM
I believe he also recommended to lower your probing height from 30cm to a more sensible value.?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2018 08:44AM by whosrdaddy.
July 27, 2018 11:14AM
Why is it that the red led only blinks occasionally and the blue led is on steady? How is that a configuration issue. I have now ordered another Orion and have asked for directions on how to return the first one. So far I have not received any answer. Like Dc42, I did not understand that a G30 command required the use of the Z-Probe Deploy file. I was trying to slow the z travel speed and thought I could avoid a crash by raising the probe height. On my cartesian, when you type G30 you get a stop when you tap the Piezo. Not with Duet. It first uses the deploy z-probed file to get down near the bed prior to using the probe, so it won't stop on the way down. I thought that was an error, but that isn't stopping the Orion from responding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2018 11:16AM by cwaa.
July 27, 2018 11:29AM
This is from the Orion manual; "When first testing if possible (and easy to do from software) reduce your stepper motor currents to
a minimum so that if it does not trigger no damage will occur, this is practical if your motor currents
are set from software, i.e. digipot etc.. Move your nozzle away from the bed around 100mm,
command a single probe (G30 in most firmware) and then lightly tap the nozzle upwards as it
descends with a finger/tool before it hits the bed. The firmware should respond, usually by moving
the nozzle upwards (or bed downwards in the case of a bed moving in Z). This indicates that the
module is working and that the firmware is properly configured. If nothing happens, kill the power to
avoid a head crash, check the firmware z_min or Z-probe logic is correct, if unsure reverse it and try
this test again."

So to test the Orion how do you hold something between the bed and the effector if the duet Z-Probe deploy file drops the effector to 5mm before activating? What ever you use has to be less than 5mm thick and you have to super quick to avoid a crash at less then 5mm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2018 11:44AM by cwaa.
July 27, 2018 11:55AM
G30 will start the probe from wherever you (manually) set the nozzle. If you can, manually set it to 100mm as suggested, then try the G30. You should have plenty of time/space to tap it and check it stops.
July 27, 2018 12:10PM
Having tried that many times, I believe you are wrong. The deploy file will set the start height and then you will probe from there.
July 27, 2018 12:24PM
Trust me and I can't say this in any way more clearly delete the deploy and stow files. YOU DO NOT NEED THEM. I've said this, Idris has said it and Dc42 who wrote RRF and designed the duet has said this. Orion is not a deployable probe in marlin speak its a fixed mounted probe. Deployable probes are microswitch es on servos or bltouch etc..

Assuming it's a delta right?

Delete the deploy files.
Home G28
Then just send G30.
The nozzle will descend towards the bed, tap it it will stop.
You've tested you unit.

What I do is home, move to X0, Y0 z50 then send G30.
This sets Z0 level.
Now send G32 and if your homedelta file has sensible points in it, use the escher 3d homedelta wizard, then it will calibrate.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2018 12:45PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
July 27, 2018 12:41PM
How many times must I repeat my self. I removed those files and homed the machine. When I did the D30 it hammered all of the tower endstops and would not stop until I cut power. I reinstalled those files and the machine again responded. So you want me to do that again?
July 27, 2018 12:46PM
Can you do g28 and it home normally?

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
July 27, 2018 12:46PM
Please post your delta parameter m665 m666

And make sure you delete any config-override file for now just change m665 and m666 in config.g then reboot until you are sure you're getting close. What I think is happening is your delta a parameters are not correct so it's moving wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2018 12:48PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

July 27, 2018 12:50PM
cwaa
Dc42 was not helpful. He recommended removing the z-probe deploy and retract files. When I did, my machine when given a G30, would hammer the tower endstops until I shut it down. I put those files back and my printer again was operational. I believe I have a defective Orion module. I have asked to return it, we will see what the response is.

I fail to see how this is possibly related to the Orion module. It would seem that you have other issues with your firmware configuration if this happens that are completely unrelated. These problems may have more to do with the probe not working than issues with the probe itself. The people who wrote the firmware are saying that you should not need those config files, and the printer should work. Something else is wrong, and needs to be addressed first.

If I took my car to a mechanic and told him "I think that speed sensor is't working," then told him that I couldn't put the car into gear... This isn't that far different. You can't get the printer to do the stuff to calibrate the sensor, you can't tell if the sensor works.

For the 5mm problem, no, that's not a lot of time, but if you set probe speed really slow (1mm/s or less) and use a tool like a spudger or a thin ruler, if should be entirely possible to troubleshoot it with one hand on the tool, and the other on the power kill switch. 5s or so should be plenty of time to hit a kill switch. Faling that, there must be something that tells the printer where that 5mm distance is, and you might be able to fool that. (I've hit my X or Y endstops with a finger to interrupt a home command with the print head somewhere else, for example.)

I'm still working on my deployment of my piezo sensor, on a duet platform so I can't speak too much about tuning it, though it looks straightforward enough to me.

Which brings me to my question for this thread...

I'm planning to test my piezo sensor underbead mounts, but the printer on which it will ultimately be used is still in the design/building process. It will be running a duet wifi control board, which as I understand uses a 3.3V VCC circuit. I've printed a set of mounts. They're quite similar to other known working solutions, so I'm reasonably sure that they'll work, but of course I want to test.

My plan is to use the GPIO on a Raspberry Pi. That shoudl provide the 3.3V VCC the same as the Duet will, give or take a few mV, and I can check easily enough for a logic level input. My understanding is that I don't want to use pullup on the input pin. Is this a reasonable test idea?

Edit:

Also, in order to keep the piezo sensors away from the heat bed, I was thinking of putting the bed mounting springs between the sensor pad and the bed. Alternately, there would be about 6mm of ABS between the bed base and the piezo sensor, which I'm not certain would be adequate thermal shielding. (And in this case, the spring would be beneath the sensor) I have a draft of the mounts on thingiverse

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2018 01:05PM by SupraGuy.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
July 27, 2018 01:06PM
CWAA - herea a good diagnostic approach change your probe type to P0 in M558. This means manual probing, then try G28, G30, G32 and see what happens. If it's still all over the place it's not the probe or probe code as it's not running any.

Supraguy, you can get 3.3v off the duet. Not sure why the raspi is needed in the system?

Simon Khoury

July 27, 2018 01:16PM
Currently the blue led is on constantly and I can't probe or runG30 as I get an error of probe already triggered.
July 27, 2018 01:19PM
Okay so turn the potentiometer until the red led just comes on. Now tap it and check it triggers with a light tap. Just a static test.

Please let me know how you get on running M558 P0? Probe manually.

Simon Khoury

July 27, 2018 01:19PM
Simon, he has H300 in his G31 like posted on the duet forum, that's the sole reason his endstops are hammered when doing G30...
July 27, 2018 01:20PM
He said he'd taken that out didn't he? CWAA if you can just confirm your H300 is now H50 or H20 or something sensible?

Simon Khoury

July 27, 2018 01:21PM
M665 R155 L360 B155 H440 ; Set delta radius, diagonal rod length, printable radius and homed height
M666 X0 Y0 Z0 ; Put your endstop adjustments here, or let auto calibration find them

This the firmware version 2.01beta2(RTOS) (2018-07-14b5)
July 27, 2018 01:24PM
The probe red led will not come on no matter the adjustment. It used to but not anymore. Maybe too many crashes or slamming into the towertops?
July 27, 2018 01:28PM
Could be or the pot has worn out they can usually only do about 20 turns. In which case then Idris will replace it. But please just try manually probing.

Your m665 m666 seems sensible enough based on your stated machine size.

Try M558 P0 with no other parameters.
Do G28,
G1 X0 Y0 Z20 (assuming your z height in m665 is fairly close)
G30
G32

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2018 01:29PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

July 27, 2018 01:30PM
When I use the P0 setup it give me a screen to manually probe the bed and it works.

; Configuration file for Duet Ethernet (firmware version 1.17 to 1.19)
; executed by the firmware on start-up
;
; generated by RepRapFirmware Configuration Tool on Tue Jun 26 2018 13:43:59 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

; General preferences
G90 ; Send absolute coordinates...
M83 ; ...but relative extruder moves
M555 P1 ; Set firmware compatibility to look like RepRapFirmare

;*** The homed height is deliberately set too high in the following - you will adjust it during calibration.
M665 R155 L360 B155 H440 ; Set delta radius, diagonal rod length, printable radius and homed height
M666 X0 Y0 Z0 ; Put your endstop adjustments here, or let auto calibration find them

; Network
M550 PDelta1.1 ; Set machine name
M540 PBE:62:56:56:52:5A ; Set custom MAC address
M552 P192.168.1.25 S1 ; Enable network and set IP address
M553 P255.255.255.0 ; Set netmask
M554 P192.168.1.254 ; Set gateway
M586 P0 S1 ; Enable HTTP
M586 P1 S0 ; Disable FTP
M586 P2 S0 ; Disable Telnet

; Drives
M569 P0 S0 ; Drive 0 goes backwards
M569 P1 S0 ; Drive 1 goes backwards
M569 P2 S0 ; Drive 2 goes backwards
M569 P3 S0 ; Drive 3 goes backwards
M350 X16 Y16 Z16 E16 I1 ; Configure microstepping with interpolation
M92 X80 Y80 Z80 E460.42 ; Set steps per mm
M566 X1200 Y1200 Z1200 E1200 ; Set maximum instantaneous speed changes (mm/min)
M203 X18000 Y18000 Z18000 E1200 ; Set maximum speeds (mm/min)
M201 X1000 Y1000 Z1000 E1000 ; Set accelerations (mm/s^2)
M906 X1600 Y1600 Z1600 E1600 I30 ; Set motor currents (mA) and motor idle factor in per cent
M84 S30 ; Set idle timeout

; Axis Limits
M208 X155 Y155 Z0 S1 ; Set minimum Z

; Endstops
M574 X2 Y2 Z2 S1 ; Set active high endstops

; Z-Probe
M558 P0 I1 R1.4 H35 F100 X0 Y0 Z0 ; Set Z probe type to switch, the axes for which it is used and the dive height + speeds
G31 X0 Y0 Z-0.1 P1000 ; Set Z probe trigger value, offset and trigger height
M557 R155 S20 ; Define mesh grid

; Heaters
M305 P0 T100000 B4138 C0 R4700 ; Set thermistor + ADC parameters for heater 0
M143 H0 S130 ; Set temperature limit for heater 0 to 130C
M305 P1 T100000 B4138 C0 R4700 ; Set thermistor + ADC parameters for heater 1
M143 H1 S3000 ; Set temperature limit for heater 1 to 280C

; Fans
M106 P0 S0.3 I0 F500 H-1 ; Set fan 0 value, PWM signal inversion and frequency. Thermostatic control is turned off
M106 P1 S1 I0 F500 H1 T45 ; Set fan 1 value, PWM signal inversion and frequency. Thermostatic control is turned on
M106 P2 S1 I0 F500 H1 T45 ; Set fan 2 value, PWM signal inversion and frequency. Thermostatic control is turned on

; Tools
M563 P0 D0 H1 ; Define tool 0
G10 P0 X0 Y0 Z0 ; Set tool 0 axis offsets
G10 P0 R0 S0 ; Set initial tool 0 active and standby temperatures to 0C

; Custom settings are not configured
July 27, 2018 01:31PM
Will my firmware version make a difference.
July 27, 2018 01:34PM
No the only real change relevant is that you can drop X0 Y0 Z0 from M558 and change G31 P to 100

Simon Khoury

July 27, 2018 01:34PM
If it will manually calibrate then it should auto calibrate with a working sensor.

Simon Khoury

July 27, 2018 01:38PM
DjDemonD
Supraguy, you can get 3.3v off the duet. Not sure why the raspi is needed in the system?
Wasn't planning on keeping it that way, just using the Pi to test the sensor design for sensitivity, considering that the Duet is in a box, and the printer that I plan to use it on is currently entirely vaporware. I figure that if the sensors work as designed, then I go ahead. If not, it's easy enough to change them now, and make appropriate design changes to the printer. Mostly I'm not sure about the use of springs in the system. I suppose that I shouldn't really need much of a leveling mechanism with auto-leveling, though I'd like to have some adjustment possible.
July 27, 2018 01:50PM
@cwaa, you do not need deployprobe.g and retractprobe.g files with the Orion. Any existing ones that you have on the SD card are for a different type of Z probe. Most likely the ones you have were written for the Allen-key style of Z probe used in early Kossels. These were included on the SD card shipped with older Duets, before the firmware was changed to run these files automatically before and after probing.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2018 01:53PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 27, 2018 02:01PM

I have now ordered another Orion and have asked for directions on how to return the first one. So far I have not received any answer.

I have not received your request for a return and replacement, I responded to your issue regarding the shop and I have received your order but as far as I am aware I have had no communication from you regarding the return and/or replacement of a faulty unit.

Have you removed the files suggested by dc42 and DjDemonD? If removing those files causes the printer to crash the endstops then you have other unresolved configuration issues.

SupraGuy;

Depending on which version of piezo PCB you're using the output voltage may be less than the voltage supplied to the board. With the exception of the latest v2.75 universal PCB you need to have pullups turned off.

Idris

{Precision Piezo} Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
July 27, 2018 02:18PM
I went to your store and used the contact email like I did before. What Email address should I use?

Idris Nowell

Jul 21 (6 days ago)

Hi there! You've got a new message from Precision Piezo Hi Craig, Unfortunate...

Craig Anderson

Jul 25 (2 days ago)

How do I go about returning my Orion. I have been having problems form some t...

Craig Anderson

Jul 25 (2 days ago)

to Precision

Could I order a new PCB and pay for it, then return the old one for a credit. I would like to get my printer back up and running.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2018 02:20PM by cwaa.
July 27, 2018 02:23PM
I have since ordered a new PCB and got the shipping notice this morning.
July 27, 2018 02:31PM
I haven't received either of those emails, nor did I send any messages on July 21st. The contact email address is precisionpiezo at yahoo dot com

You're welcome to return the old board, I will send you details when I receive your email.

Idris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login