Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Changing eeprom values mid-print?(+a bonus question)

Posted by Nadim 
Changing eeprom values mid-print?(+a bonus question)
May 15, 2017 07:56AM
Is it possible to change eeprom acceleration values mid-print through gcode commands M201 or M204? Or Do I have to restart the printer or the print for the changes to take effect? If so, is restarting the print sufficient or do I have to restart the printer itself? I want this because I want to see the effect of different acceleration values on the print without starting a new print for every value.

Bonus questions:

Are the ripples on Jupiter and the Saturn's rings caused by the stepper driver not driving the stepper smoothly?

[imgur.com]

If so, should reducing or increasing the vref on the x and y drivers reduce the ripples? I did try different vref values between 0.5 and 0.9 volts but I didn't really see any noticeable difference. What I did notice is that decreasing the vref below 0.7 volts introduces really harsh resonating bearing noises during moves.

My x and y steppers are bot 1.02 amps and I've set the vref to 0.8 volts. Do you guys recommend reducing or increasing the vref? The motors don't get warm at all so I don't think 0.8 volts is too much.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2017 08:01AM by Nadim.
Re: Changing eeprom values mid-print?(+a bonus question)
May 15, 2017 08:14AM
Yes you can change m201 or m204 any any time.. but there is a small buffer, so don’t expect instantaneous changes

This doesn’t change the eeprom setting though, not till you do a m500

re the ring ripples, are you talking about the ringing (can see almost shadows of the edges repeated again) or the over all surface effect?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2017 08:15AM by Dust.
May 15, 2017 08:28AM
Ok so M201 and M204 immediately take effect? Yes I do have to enter M500 to actually save it in eeprom so it persists after a restart. By the ripples I mean the overal surface effect.

As you noticed, I also have some ringing issues. I know the ringing on the edges is a mechanical issues, but I didn't manage to eliminate it. I did tension the belt and reduced acceleration to 800 and jerk to 8 in marlin, but this didn't change anything. The one thing I didn't try that I want to is to use a different stepper motor, because I've read that the ringing can also be caused by 'springiness" of the stepper motor shaft. I have a prusa design printer which has a aluminium bed with a 3mm thick sheet of glass on it. Maybe it's just not possible to eliminate the ringing on the edges with that amount of mass moving?
May 15, 2017 07:51PM
Could be bearing noise as well. I made a new extruder carriage that puts different forces on the system and the ringing seems to have settled down a bit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login