Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is the universe real?

Posted by Nadim 
Is the universe real?
May 22, 2017 01:19PM
I bought my first printer in September 2016. If you look at the social blade stats for popular 3D printing related YouTube channels, you'll see that all of them had a massive increase in subscriber count, views and so on just after I bought my first printer.

I don't think this is a coincidence. It's perfectly possible that my environment is fake/actors or a simulation and everything that happens is pre defined to steer me in a certain direction. Perhaps I am the only real human being and everything around me is created by a higher life form. Maybe I'm just a toy for an alien child who has created my environment just to look at my behavior.

If all of this is true, then there is no point to writing all of this since no other real human is reading it anyways...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2017 01:21PM by Nadim.
Re: Is the universe real?
May 22, 2017 01:30PM
VDX
May 22, 2017 01:59PM

Is the universe real?

... not really spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 22, 2017 02:27PM
You might be right.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
May 22, 2017 02:59PM
I used to think through those logical loops when I was 4 or 5. Maybe you will get over it in a few years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2017 02:59PM by cwaa.
May 22, 2017 08:29PM
DMT will answer that for you.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2017 10:12PM by MechaBits.
May 22, 2017 09:13PM
Is it true that when you say "no" you really mean "yes"?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
May 22, 2017 10:25PM
Quite a bit more about this here [www.simulation-argument.com] and it is hard to fault the logic that it is extremely likely we are simulated.

But since there is probably no way to tell (unless we create highly detailed simulations of our own, which threaten to use more computational power than the potential simulators of us will allow and they shut down the simulation) you might as well chalk this one up as interesting and conversation-worthy but unknowable.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
May 23, 2017 05:16AM
DjDemonD
Quite a bit more about this here [www.simulation-argument.com] and it is hard to fault the logic that it is extremely likely we are simulated.

Damn, I knew it .... or I though I knew it .... or I thought I though I knew it .... or I thought I thought I though I knew it .........

Mike
May 23, 2017 05:51AM
"Occam's razor (or Ockham's razor) is a principle from philosophy. Suppose there exist two explanations for an occurrence. In this case, the simpler one is usually better. Another way of saying it is that the more assumptions you have to make, the more unlikely an explanation is."

assumptions a plenty in a simulated universe....
May 23, 2017 06:02AM
That's a useful principal, though I am sure many, many exceptions exist. However the premise that it is reasonable technically to assume at some future point we will be able to simulate the universe (though for all practical purposes, the Earth and nearby astronomical bodies would suffice with a little bit of data to represent the wider universe) means that there is a high likelihood we are in such a simulation, since the number of simulations relative to the original, real universe would potentially be much greater.

It doesn't bother me as I will be unlikely to ever discover the truth and be offered the red pill.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
May 23, 2017 06:54AM
deleted simulation

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2017 06:55AM by jinx.
May 23, 2017 03:22PM
Is this a bad time to mention Roko's Basilisk? smiling smiley
[rationalwiki.org]
May 23, 2017 03:57PM
jinx
deleted simulation
AAAAAAAAAaargh*
VDX
May 23, 2017 04:16PM
... could be, I've found a hint to check the "reality" - when programming a simple gravity-simulation program for a "solar system" with a central mass and some smaller with different vectors as circulating planets, I could reproduce common "Rosette"-paths, like the path of our planet Mercure.

It's stated, that this R.-path is caused by the space curvature near sun ... but in my simulation it was simply the fact of the "discrete" time steps, resutling in a slightly nonsymmetrical force relation when comparing the in- and out-paths.

One conclusion points to the "simulated universe", where the smallest possible time-sequences were not quantized for the Planck constant, but simply caused by the basic algorhythms, used to calculate/simulate all the interactions of particles and elementals ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

May 24, 2017 03:56AM
waiting on the lotto to repeat itself or parts of my cave starts phasing in and out of existence.... till then the idea we living in a sim for the weak minded soul searching for alternative too god because they cant handle the truth, we all poor B&^%$D living on a polluted world.

PS ET aint coming to fix our problems either so big up and deal with the hand that given to you. live long and prosper .
May 24, 2017 02:23PM
How long do I need to be printing ABS to experience Depersonalization disorder? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
June 02, 2017 12:24AM
The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think that it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while.

Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question - is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us. They say 'Hey! Don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride.' And we...kill those people. Ha ha ha. 'Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride. SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry. Look at my big bank account and family. This just has to be real.' It's just a ride. But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok.

But it doesn't matter because: it's just a ride. And we can change it anytime we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings, and money. A choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourselves off. The eyes of love, instead, see all of us as one. Here's what you can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money that we spend on weapons and defense each year, and instead spend it feeding, clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, for ever, in peace.
Bill Hicks
June 06, 2017 09:17AM
Nadim
Is the universe real?

I have designed a sophisticated experiment to determine this, involving locking both of us into one room for one hour, myself having been equipped with a suitably damaging hammer.

After an hour, your pain level at asking such a bloody stupid question should determine how "real" your pain is and thus how "real" the universe is.

I could delegate such a task to somebody else, but for such a crucial question, I insist on performing the experiment myself.

Now, you could cheat by dosing up on heroin or similar pain killer, which could prolong the experiment until your pain relief has definitely expired. Again, I will be happy to devote my time to such a fascinating area of science.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2017 09:18AM by DragonFire.
June 06, 2017 09:38AM
No elegant equation could explain DragonFire. or Printer smiling smiley
VDX
June 06, 2017 09:48AM
... not an equation, but a chimpanzee with a typewriter and some "white noise" winking smiley

Viktor
--------

June 06, 2017 09:49AM
At some level it has to be real. While you and I may be but a simulation on some vast computer or a dream in a sleeping persons mind - and they in turn a dream or simulation, at some point there has to be the first simulation or dream in the sequence: The real world housing the computer that runs the bottom level simulation or the dreamer with the lowest level dream has to exist.

Myself, I think that we are unlikely to be the real world but I doubt that we are more than one or two levels from the real one. This is based on casting chicken giblets on the ground, contemplating the shape that tealeaves make in a cup and watching Donald Trump on TV.

Mike
June 06, 2017 09:11PM
Its a pointless question as its what we have. Cant escape it, and no known cheat codes.

So suck it up and deal with it!
VDX
June 07, 2017 03:31AM
... there is some sort of "cheating" or a "semi-escape" - you only have to create a simulation, which won't be distinguishable from our "actual real" universe and start some "life-sims".

But ... wait ... could it be, that we already did this, and are only actors/avatars in one of this "life-sim"-sequences confused smiley

Viktor
--------

June 07, 2017 08:14AM
Hopefully just one of the possible simulations that didnt have to live it out for real, we are in the one that simulates our own demise.
if a man speaks his mind in a forest and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?
VDX
June 07, 2017 08:39AM

... and no woman hears him, ...

... no escape - any bacterium will count for spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Viktor
--------

June 07, 2017 11:16AM
yeah but the bacterium dont nag so much, life's so peaceful when your single.
VDX
June 07, 2017 01:21PM
... you're lucky - are you? winking smiley

Viktor
--------

June 07, 2017 01:34PM
unfortunate perhaps the dream better than the reality, hopefully my computer loves me the way I cant live without it.
if only there where more girls like sexycyborg in the uk, i've yet to meet one that has a technical mind, plenty with the augmentation.
VDX
June 07, 2017 03:55PM
... in terms of "simulated or not" this could be an argument for "unhappy, so more real" ... but this would be too short thought cool smiley

If a super-capable, -intelligent and possibly immortal beeing starts "life-sims" for scientific reasons (or simply to overcome boredom), it would define the simulated sequences for an unpredictable "random" manor with all means to get as many possible (or impossible) results, as it could generate.

So don't count on "happiness" or "luck" or other simplifications - consider quantum realities and splits as well, so you'll get uncountable alternatives for any possible (or unpossible) event in your "experienced time" ... all of them only separated by a quantum divider winking smiley

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login