Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Volcano heater with smaller nozzle

Posted by shortyski13 
Volcano heater with smaller nozzle
May 24, 2017 06:40PM
If I wanted to switch from using a volcano heat block with bigger nozzle, like .8, and decided I want to print something smaller and put a .3 nozzle on, would this work? I realize changing the heating elements shouldn't be that big of a deal, but I'm curious and don't have a way to test it myself. Would it just kill any hopes of retraction with much more melted plastic inside the throat?
Re: Volcano heater with smaller nozzle
May 24, 2017 09:22PM
It works very well with my .4 nozzle. Nothing but the nozzle needs to be changed.
May 25, 2017 01:44AM
Traveler0612
It works very well with my .4 nozzle. Nothing but the nozzle needs to be changed.

What 0.4 nozzle did you use? The standard E3D V6 nozzles are to short and wouldn't make contact with the heatbarrier. Which could cause clogged hotend.
May 25, 2017 01:47AM
the clones of ali come with a .4
May 25, 2017 02:22AM
Yeah I use cloned volcano with 0.4 nozzle works fine.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
May 25, 2017 09:49AM
Keep in mind that while the change in diameter from 0.4 to 0.3 is only 1/4 less, the change in surface area is a lot more.
A 0.8 Nozzle has an area of 0.5 mm², a 0.4 Nozzle has 0.126 and a 0.3 Nozzle 0.071 (nearly half the area of the 0.4 Nozzle and 1/7 the area of the 0.8 Nozzle). This means that your printing speed will be slower since you can't push the same amount of material through the smaller nozzle in the same time.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
May 25, 2017 11:24PM
They make Volcano nozzles down to .4 size. It is the same length as the other Volcano nozzles.

[e3d-online.com]
May 26, 2017 02:05AM
Srek
Keep in mind that while the change in diameter from 0.4 to 0.3 is only 1/4 less, the change in surface area is a lot more.
A 0.8 Nozzle has an area of 0.5 mm², a 0.4 Nozzle has 0.126 and a 0.3 Nozzle 0.071 (nearly half the area of the 0.4 Nozzle and 1/7 the area of the 0.8 Nozzle). This means that your printing speed will be slower since you can't push the same amount of material through the smaller nozzle in the same time.

That's also my concern. The long melting zone combined with the slow feed rate might cause trouble.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login