Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

micro stepping question

Posted by Dr Bob 
micro stepping question
May 25, 2017 05:22AM
Hi
I was wondering if anyone can tell me a way of telling what the "driver microstepping" is set at. Is there a G-code call that I can use that would return this information. If not I guess the only other option is to look at the board and see how the jumpers are set, which is a bit of a faff for me as my board is located under the printer.

Thanks for any help given

Regards
Dr Bob
Re: micro stepping question
May 25, 2017 06:03AM
On RAMPS microstepping jampers connected directly to stepper driver IC and not connected to main controller.
May 25, 2017 06:23AM
There might be a way if you are using a fairly standart configuration: You need to look at your firmware or if you have an LCD screen check the section where you can set the steps/mm for the various axis of the printer. If your X or Y axis is GT2 belt driven and the pulley has 20 teeth, and if you are using a 1.8 degree stepper motor, then the value you see should be 80 if you use 1/16 microstepping, 160 if it is 1/32, etc...
May 25, 2017 09:18AM
Hi and thanks very much for getting back to me.

I will give this a try and update tomorrow, I do know that from my Configuration-h file it does list the X, and Y as 80.

This is the 3D printer I have [tinyurl.com] The reason for my original query was because I asked Hictop about the lead starts on the Z axis. This was slightly out upon measuring during calibration, they told me that it was a four start leadscrew. and also said that the correct Z axis setup was "400" to get to that number I played with the settings on the Prusa calculator website, till 400 came up. As you correctly stated it looks like I use 1/16 micro steps. I was just wondering if there was an easier way of finding this information. I have attached a screen shot of the calculator for my Z axis.

Thanks again for your help, very much appreciate your help ;O)
Attachments:
open | download - Hictop.jpg (37.6 KB)
May 25, 2017 08:59PM
Look at the traces on the motherboard. If there is a resistor connected to the trace, it's low, otherwise it's high. If it's hardcoded in the software, then calculate by distance moved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2017 08:59PM by etfrench.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login