Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NF hotend

Posted by jinx 
NF hotend
June 26, 2017 02:00PM
has anyone tried this hotend yet hotend apart from its price seems rather a compact solution for multi colour prints

NF THC-01 could be the best bloody hotend in the world, but there's so little " utter lack of " details or reviews you wouldn't touch it with a barge pole! shame on its creators.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2017 04:27PM by jinx.
Re: NF hotend
June 26, 2017 04:40PM
Not tried it, but it's a v6 block with a hexagon inspired heatsink and some sort of splitter based filament input. It's not a mixer that I can see but a switching hotend. Not a a bad idea but the filament shaping and massive retractions you have to do to change colours, slightly less massive here than with y splitter type devices, are not that easy to manage, I tried with two titans and a y splitter but gave up trying to get the firmware (RRF) to handle tool changes before I got to printing anything multicoloured.

In the firmware's defence it can do it but the ballache involved in two colour printing just wasn't worth it for me. Easier to take a paint brush to a one coloured object after printing it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2017 06:12PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
June 26, 2017 05:51PM

i cant find nothing on it sad smiley what images i do see all have that heater block positioned under the cooling fan which I find odd. Am assuming the lack of reference to this hotend because its new
June 26, 2017 08:50PM
Ill asked the vendor of a similar design for some renderings of the internal geometry but got nothing. You need a very gradual filament path and I dont see how that can be manufactured here.

The main issue of stringing filament wont be solved by this design. There is another 2 way splitter out there that can be mounted directly to the hotend leaving a similar short retraction distance.
If I get the stringing under control that could be the next step up.

What would however be interesting, is how prusa deals with those issues. It apparently required and heatbreak but I dont understand the reasoning behind this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2017 06:12AM by sungod3k.
August 02, 2017 05:10AM
Just received mine i have uploaded some pics on thinyverse and with 3d model and bracket to follow

THC-01
August 03, 2017 03:43AM
trev
Just received mine i have uploaded some pics on thinyverse and with 3d model and bracket to follow
installed yet?
August 03, 2017 10:23AM
I purchased one of the 2 in 1 out versions but probably won't get around to powering it for a month or two.

It looks very well made - surface finishes and edge breaks are very good, and filament slides through the Y very reliably. The only surprise is that the entire path (including heat break) is Teflon lined which limits it to lower temperature filament.

I expect it to work quite well as Teflon lined hotends are known to be very forgiving when filament switching. The NF hot end appears to use Chimera/Kraken heat breaks so it should be possible to use genuine E3D parts where it matters.
August 05, 2017 01:45AM
you got it installed 6911? hows it working,

trev

THC-01
you up and running yet?
jwd
September 23, 2018 09:04AM
Hi everyone,

I have a Mendel 90 with the NF THC-01 3 in 1 multicolor head and i use Marlin firmware.
Until now i use it for 1 color prints but there is very little info on the web how to do a 2 color print.
With some simple testing i found already that you need about 30 mm retraction to be able to change between extruder 1 and 2.
Does anyone have a script which describes how to do a full tool change from Extruder 0 -> 1?
Is there someone out there who has it working?

regards,

JW Driessen
December 28, 2018 06:08AM
Hello. I have a Tronxy X5S-2e and it came with the Chimera Cyclops. I have had problems with the printer from the begining with clogging. I purchased the NF upgrade through Tronxy and continue to have clogging issues. It might be user error but not sure. Still working on getting it to not clog

This is 1 of 8 printers so I am familiar with printing chalanges but still a newbie with the 2 color. This is my second printer with 2 to 1 hotend. I have the Zonestar and it has the Chimera cylops and it is printing. I am printing in PLA only. I'll update this thread as I move forward. I so want to love this printer but feels like a bad honeymoon out of the gate so far...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login