Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fast Speed Filament?

Posted by ceccuz 
Fast Speed Filament?
July 01, 2017 06:11PM
Hi guys, I've found out my self assembled Kossel can print as fast as 600 (and probably more) the problem is that none of the filaments I have can keep up.

I would like to experiment with high fast printing so which filaments do you use for this?

Cheers,
Francesco
Re: Fast Speed Filament?
July 01, 2017 11:12PM
ceccuz
Hi guys, I've found out my self assembled Kossel can print as fast as 600 (and probably more) the problem is that none of the filaments I have can keep up.

I would like to experiment with high fast printing so which filaments do you use for this?

Cheers,
Francesco

Theoretical max. speed. I'm no expert but from my observations in my printers I'd check if your printer can melt your current filament fast enough to keep up with your movement speed. You may need something like an E3D Volcano.

Printers: Heavily redesigned TwoUp with E3D V6 and Robo3D R1+ with Chimera/Cyclops
Re: Fast Speed Filament?
July 02, 2017 09:04AM
Yes your issue will be max melt rate/max extrusion volume. Even with a volcano with a 40w heater (e3d supply a 30w heater - I bought one last week and it's actually 6.2 ohms so only 26w at 12v) you won't get more than 6-8 mm3/sec through it with a 0.4mm nozzle. You can in theory get to about 15mm3/sec with larger nozzles, the back pressure is much lower, the cross sectional area of the nozzle orifice is so much larger but you'll be limited to 40-50mm/s head speed (0.8mm nozzle) as so much more filament is able to exit the nozzle per second.

I tried it on my corexy (titan extruder, volcano, 0.4mm nozzle) and at 140mm/s it was just starting to show signs of being unable to melt enough filament to keep up. Of course you'll only theoretically get your head to 600mm/s (which is insanely fast), if printing long straight lines as your acceleration setting will limit your speed over short distances. You could set acceleration to 9000 but this won't help your print quality. Try the acceleration calc here to see how fast you can really go [www.prusaprinters.org]. I was testing something for someone who can print at 260mm/s via a diamond hotend with three titan extruders pushing filament through at the same time.

You can test max melt rate just extrude into air, at a rate you know is quite achievable such as 1mm/s (60mm/min), extrude a fixed amount such as 40mm. Measure the amount of filament going into the extruder which should be 40mm if calibrated well, then increase the rate in steps, until you start to see less than 40mm going in, that's your maximum for that material and temperature, higher temperature helps up to the point your filament starts to break down and bubbles pop out of the nozzle. You'll get a slightly lower rate when real-world printing as there is more back pressure printing against something than there is extruding into the air.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2017 03:23PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login