Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder firmware issues

Posted by HereIgoAgain 
Extruder firmware issues
March 20, 2011 05:56PM
Some time back, I was having trouble loading software for extruder. In this thread, ATA0921 suggested I go back a version (ie. Arduino 2.1 instead of 2.2 for the extruder. I did this and it worked fine. Now some time later I am trying to do this again...and I get errors suggesting I should choose the Sanguino board which doesn't seem to be an option in the 2.1 software....I'm confused as to why this worked the first time ?? any ideas ??
Re: Extruder firmware issues
March 20, 2011 06:03PM
I replied to your other thread. Please don't double-post? (hrm... I don't know if "please don't double post" is an official policy, but I've seen a few people do it, and it can make the conversation very hard to follow. Maybe I should ask Sebastian?)

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
March 20, 2011 06:17PM
sorry about that. Couldn't find the last post. I thought it was attached to an old thread
March 20, 2011 07:10PM
Actually, I think you're right, it was attached to an old thread. It was the one you mentioned in this post, under "some time back"

Where you able to find my reply?

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
March 20, 2011 09:50PM
yea I'm looking into it now. It just seems odd that it worked before. I had the motherboard software with 2.2 and downloaded the 2.1....It loaded quite easy on the extruder. Anyway I'm about to check out the link you supplied. thanks for the info...I'll see how it goes
March 21, 2011 12:53PM
Well I did install the addons for version 21 and was able to choose the sanguino board and was able to compile but couldn't download. The chip on the extruder board looks something like ATMega168, so not sure why it wants me to choose the sanguino. This all happened when I was testing my extruder to try and get some plastic to flow. The thermistor quit responding so I thought I'd reload the software. No such luck. The odd thing is that originally I was able somehow with the 21 software to get the software to compile and download. The hardware is all makerbot ver 3. The extruder board is ver 2.2. When I first attached a thermistor I was surprised that I got a reading...thought for sure I'd have to figure out the software fix for that...but it seemed to work fine....then just stopped responding....
VDX
March 21, 2011 04:43PM
... the Sanguino is a 664p, for the ExtruderController you have to select one of the 168-types like "Diecimila/Duemilanove with 168" ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 22, 2011 09:57AM
I'm sorry but perhaps I haven't been clear, and by the way for those who have made suggestions, thanks for your help.

I am using makerbot gen 3 electronics. I used the arduino-22 software opened the configuration.h file, compiled and uploaded to the motherboard without incident. the motherboard seems to work fine. Using the 22 software, I opened the extruder.h chose the ...ATMega168 board and try to compile and get :
In file included from FiveD_GCode_Interpreter.cpp:10:
/pins.h:104:2: error: #error Oops! Make sure you have 'Sanguino' selected from the 'Tools -> Boards' menu.

then some time back, someone suggested using an older version of the software so i installed the arduino-21 software (and it seems to me) I was able to open/compile/ and download the file to the extruder board using the ATMega168 board.

Now when i use the arduino-21 software and try to open and compile (selecting the atmega168 board), I get the same message that I got above.

I also tried recompiling the configuration.h file with the arduino-21 software using the atmega168 board and get the same message.

It seems that the software wants me to choose the Sanguino board for both the configuration and the extruder header files.

Thanks in advance once again for any help.
VDX
March 22, 2011 10:09AM
... either you have the wrong firmware for the ExtruderController, or you have selected/defined a pin-layout in "pins.h" what's only applicable with a Sanguino confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2011 10:10AM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

March 22, 2011 02:52PM
Thank you for responding Viktor. the pin.h file I haven't changed, it is what it was by default. The extruder controller firmware is what I am trying to do. either I can only compile it if I choose sanguino or I get an error that I should choose Sanguino.
VDX
March 22, 2011 04:16PM
... i've rechecked my Gen3-sources - "pins.h" is only in the (Sanguino-)Motherboard-firmware-source in the folder "FiveD_GCode_Interpreter"

The Extruder-firmware is in the sub-folder "Extruder" and don't have a "pin.h" - so you're programming the extruder with the motherboard-firmware!

Viktor
--------

March 23, 2011 09:31PM
Viktor, I did as you suggested and made sure I ran the 21 software (for the extruder) in a seperate location and it worked immediately....and the issue I had with the thermistor was resolved !! Thank you. I know tomorrow I will have my next challenge with my reprap but I must say that it is so gratifying to find solutions to these issues with help of this forum. I don't know where you are live in Germany, I have been to Aulken and Dusseldorf, and Munich and have loved the time I spent there...the beer...the food ... the people. I would hope one day I can buy you a beer.

thank you.....
VDX
March 24, 2011 04:05AM
... i'm living near Frankfurt/Main, call in if you're bouncing around smileys with beer

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login