Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Flexible build plate suggestions

Posted by DjDemonD 
Re: Flexible build plate suggestions
June 07, 2018 08:01AM
Trakyan
It's not so much about bending over time, if my understanding is correct it's more about how far it can bend or flex before it deforms permanently. So using other kinds of steel you'll just need to be careful with how much you flex them.

That is how I understand it as well, but without knowing that point I may be deforming it each time I bend it. The material is stiff enough that if it did deform, the magnets would not be strong enough to overcome the bend and keep it flat. I can only bend it by 1-2 degrees before real strength is needed.

Basically, spring steel or at the very least thinner stainless steel is needed

On a more positive note though, the magnetic sheet purchased from ebay is working extremely well. It is 0.5mm self adhesive sheet, used on cars for magnetic signs. I have had it up to 100 degrees without any noticeable loss of magnetism. magnetic sheet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2018 08:04AM by Origamib.
June 14, 2018 05:59PM
i have finally received all the parts for the flexible bed i have designed, initially for a duplicator 3i, but if enough people are interested other sizes can be produced. The launching price will be £35. Below are some pictures of it on my printer and next week i will post pictures with prints.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2018 06:00PM by andornot.
June 15, 2018 02:36AM
Have you made the decision yet, whether or not to apply a printsurface ( PEI, LokBuild or other )?

BTW: a thermal isolated grip would be nice. The latch in front will be pretty hot. Or at least laser-write a warning to it (for the U.S. market )
June 15, 2018 02:55AM
Looks great! I would definitely be interested if it is possible to make one for the standard MK2/3 heated bed (213*213).

Although it should be self-evident that placing a piece of metal on a hot surface makes the piece of metal hot too, o_lampe is right. People can be silly.
June 15, 2018 05:17AM

People can be silly.
'Don't put your Hamster in the microwave' LOL
It's not the people being stupid, but U.S. law in that respect.
June 15, 2018 06:31AM
Most PCB heaters have a "warning: hot" silkscreen, I think it's a liability or legal thing.

That being said, some idiots would grab that metal tab as soon as a print is done (me included).
June 15, 2018 07:24AM
A print surface can be applied to the flexible bed, i was intending to leave up to the user. I can provide PEI, Lokbuild and AndOrNot build plates as an additional cost.

The tab is going to have a laser engraved logo/product name and i will add hot as you suggested.
June 15, 2018 07:26AM
JoeK1973
Looks great! I would definitely be interested if it is possible to make one for the standard MK2/3 heated bed (213*213).

Although it should be self-evident that placing a piece of metal on a hot surface makes the piece of metal hot too, o_lampe is right. People can be silly.

Does this bed require the corners cutting off?
June 15, 2018 08:15AM
andornot
JoeK1973

Does this bed require the corners cutting off?

Yes it does. I have the Mk3 Heatbed.

It's 214mm*214mm, with 209mm between hole centres.

Here's a link to the description of the heatbed. I think they're fairly common?

Cheers

Joe

JK3D Blog - [jk3d.wordpress.com]
June 19, 2018 05:44AM
Here's some pictures of a removal of the print from the bed, i have used tape to print on not ideal but shows how easy the print can be removed.

June 19, 2018 07:53AM
some bend in it, but how the Andornot print surface cope with it
June 19, 2018 08:23AM
I just use a PEI sheet on a magnetic foil [www.youtube.com]

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
June 19, 2018 04:42PM
jinx
some bend in it, but how the Andornot print surface cope with it

Andornot print will easily cope with this as its more flexible than the metal plate.
July 26, 2018 04:12PM
I have just released my flexible magnetic bed for 220mm x 220mm such as duplicator 3i, as the system is rolled out other sizes will be available. Sizes under 220mm x 220mm will be available on request.

Link to flexible magnetic bed

www.andornot.co.uk, selling new products, including smoothie boards and other useful parts for 3D Printers:

AndOrNot buildplate launched, available in 6 inch, 8 inch, 12 inch and 17 inch square introductory discount code "20reprap"
And Or Not Build Plates
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login