Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MKS gen1.4 compatibility and changes.

Posted by chromaglow 
MKS gen1.4 compatibility and changes.
July 27, 2017 09:32PM
Hello all,
Newbie with some basic questions, please help!!

I have a creality Cr10 printer with a melzi main board. I would like to upgrade it with the board here
I'm interested in upgrading it for a few reasons, the first being noise as this board can take tmc2100 drivers with stealth chop mode.

I understand when I change the board the the existing LCD screen will not be compatible so I need to know if this screen and scroll wheel will work "plug and play." I feel stupid for asking this question as I'm usually super resourceful but as I'm new to this type of compatibility checking and don't know what web resource to use to do this kind of work
If this screen will not work, what will?

My next question is about firmware.
Assuming the screen above is compatible, my understanding is that I get my new board plug it into my com port, download the firmware from marlin and send it to the board like I would any other arduino project.
Next I would plug my new tmc2100 driver boards in (after setting the voltages on them to .6...still not sure how to do this as the selector is on the bottom of them), physically swap out the motherboard put everything back together and fire it up to enjoy silence.

The ACTUAL 2nd question here is how do I figure out what changes I need to do to the marlin base code to make sure everything works in my creality and what are those commands?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I am just getting started in hardware and arduino.

Cheers
Chroma
Re: MKS gen1.4 compatibility and changes.
July 28, 2017 02:52AM
chroma
I understand when I change the board the the existing LCD screen will not be compatible so I need to know if this screen and scroll wheel will work "plug and play." I feel stupid for asking this question as I'm usually super resourceful but as I'm new to this type of compatibility checking and don't know what web resource to use to do this kind of work
If this screen will not work, what will?

yea the full graphics will work on the mks gens 1.4,, thou be careful with the lcd leads polarity been a thread where reversing them killed a board or somthething " it around the forum" BUT why this board? is it a price choice ? because this board will make a better choice when you start advancing rumba and if budget is a reasoning then try out GenL

The ACTUAL 2nd question here is how do I figure out what changes I need to do to the marlin base code to make sure everything works in my creality and what are those commands?
HAHHAHHAHA This will be your trial and tribulation but its all fun, remember theirs never a stupid question, when you new. but you treat the mks gen series as if its a single board RAMPS , with luck you have an old firmware copy you can compare,,but its best to start over plenty of guides around the web on getting the mks gen up and running " think there one on instructable.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2017 03:19AM by jinx.
July 28, 2017 10:33AM
Jinx thanks for the reply.
I chose that board as it was recommended as being similar form factor to fit in the existing enclosure and it supposedly is very similar and doesn't need much tweaking of code.
Like I said I am new to this and I am researching and trying to learn as much as possible to make this go smoothly. I haven't been printing long and the last thing I want to do is have my machine apart and not working properly for so long it kills the joy of the whole thing.
So money isn't a factor, the difference in a $20 board or a $45 board doesn't matter if there is a real benefit. Why specifically would you recommend the rumbu board over the other?

Also worth noting other than replacing drivers for sound and print quality the other reason I wanted to upgrade to mks 1.4 would be it appears the board I showed you will support dual print heads and auto bed leveling.
The rumba board looks like it has enough driver spots for two extruders, and I'm guessing power to heat another print head?

So as far as code goes what I'm hearing you say is a good place to get started is to open up the old firmware in one window and the base marlin in another and go line by line comparing and making changes so they match as well as watch the instructable.

thoughts?
July 29, 2017 01:45AM
cant really speak on the mks gen 1.4. thou am testing the gen l 1.0 nice small board, my thinking with the rumba its close to the price of a mks gen1.4 but has the ability to run a 3 extruders which is about the only board able to run a diamond hotend without the need to for and extension driver, 4 thermistors " heat chamber monitor , has for two pwm fan output for just an all round nice board to grow with as with both you able to use the full graphics controller but also the mks TFT for a little touch control ,but use the full graphics it a better one to tinker with setting while learning.
Auto leveling possible on all boards all using spare endstop or Z heades both boards but depending on the sensor you may need to hack pop off a resistor to get it working

"Next I would plug my new tmc2100 driver boards in (after setting the voltages on them to .6...still not sure how to do this as the selector is on the bottom of them), " if i recall incorrectly " first coffee here" there a small hole for a tiny screw driver to adjust the pots.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login