Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using reprap in your pHd?

Posted by SimonT 
Using reprap in your pHd?
March 29, 2011 03:34AM
Hey reprappers,

I'm looking for pHd's or other academics who use their repraps professionally.
The paper will focus on using knowledge you gain from having repraps as a hobby in your professional and academic life and the issues connected to this.

If any of you out there are somehow using repraps in your professional lives, let me know in this thread or through a pm and maybe we can set up a quick interview (10 - 15 mins tops).

Hope some of you can help.

Best,
Simon Thordal,
Technical University of Denmark
Re: Using reprap in your pHd?
March 29, 2011 01:26PM
I'm not using mine academically myself, but my girlfriend may be in the near future. She is in a masters degree program in film archival and preservation at NYU, and has been considering using 3d printers in general and my Reprap in particular to produce parts for film equipment that is no longer easily available. My print quality isn't quite up to the level she needs yet, but I hope for it to be useful for her soon (after I build a new hot end). Even so, I'm already printing simple things for her like film covers: [www.thingiverse.com]

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?
March 30, 2011 02:50AM
I am currently using reprap as part of my senior capstone design project for a B.S in Mechanical Engineering. Mainly focusing on precision improvements.

Also using a huxley to teach my schools junior class about rapid prototyping.

Feel free to pm
April 05, 2011 03:57AM
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Jsadusk:
We're mainly looking for people that are working directly with RepRap in their university lives, i.e. as part of a masters or pHd.

Ajm11:
I'll send you a PM, thanks!

What we'll be focusing on primarily is if it is possible to take your experiences from the maker community and use them in the science community.

Let me know if there's anyone else out there who wouldn't mind answering a few questions smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login