Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CNC router anyone?

Posted by PrintThings 
CNC router anyone?
September 04, 2017 03:23AM
3D printing is great, looking to get into some CNC routering now.

Mostly interested in doing aluminum, so I need a stiff machine. I have a welder, to do a steel frame or something if needed. I've googled around quite a bit, but can't seem to find anything that really stands out. Anyone here have much experience with this? I suppose I'll sign up on some CNC machining forums to get some more depth, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Budget is 1500-2000. Don't need a huge build area, but more is always better. More concerned with accuracy and rigidity of the machine. A ready made kit would be nice, as long as it's good bang for the buck. Maybe everything but the heavy frame which you build yourself? Not really interested in anything where the stressed parts are wood or plastic. Maybe a kit built from heavy duty aluminum extrusions?

Thanks for the input!
VDX
Re: CNC router anyone?
September 04, 2017 05:11PM
... where are you located?

I've built and converted several CNC-mills -- and have actually an old Isel FB2 with C-142 controller for exchange in my local area (Germany, around Frankfurt/Main) winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 05, 2017 12:21AM
For that price range, the Xcarve is a decent router, though not intended for cutting aluminum.

If you want metal cutting, look for ballscrews. The bigger the better (mechanical advantage), and either a 5 or 6 mm pitch.
Look for an enclosure as well, aluminum loves flood coolant.
Most likely will need 3 phase 220v to be of any use, otherwise you're looking at "engraving", not a router, and definitely not milling.

Was just was given a stack of 4040, 4080 and various scrap lengths of other aluminum extrusions.
Unfortunately, only have single phase 110 service, or be making one myself.
September 05, 2017 12:31PM
prot0typ1cal
For that price range, the Xcarve is a decent router....

Shapeoko3 is an all around better more rigid machine for the same price.
X-Carve vs Shapeoko 3
September 06, 2017 12:33PM
cnczone.com would be the place to start.
September 10, 2017 04:51AM
I must have missed the Buzz on this Machine when it was fresh but now I've seen it I really want to make a mill
[www.wired.com]
September 14, 2017 12:31PM
I'm in the process of converting a mini mill (e.g. this one from Harbor Freight) into a CNC mill. This should give a fairly accurate, but small, mill capable of milling aluminum and steel. This is the guide I'm using for inspiration, though I'm making a number of changes as I go along in order to use the materials and hardware that I can get the cheapest and easiest. At the end I should have a very capable small CNC mill for less than $1000 (USD).

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
September 15, 2017 01:19AM
and probably get better results than the gun runner(easier to clean too), look forward to seeing how it goes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login