Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thanks to the Digital Dentist

Posted by cwaa 
Thanks to the Digital Dentist
September 07, 2017 11:08AM
More than a year ago, I completed a build on Open builds called the Voxel OX. Its a v slot 20 x80 mm extruded frame. It was designed to use two Z axis motors. The printer has operated very well, but when I went to two extruders, I started having problems with my z height and ruined several prints. I had read the Digital Dentists' rant on why 2 z axis motors are hard to keep in sync. I remodeled my printer to use a single z axis motor and am very pleased with the change. I have gone several weeks without having to calibrate the z axis and it just keeps on going. I would post pictures, but this site wont accept direct uploads.
Re: Thanks to the Digital Dentist
September 07, 2017 11:11AM
I'm glad it worked out for you!

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 08, 2017 01:22AM
DD is great for sure!

However, dual Z screws are okay, only if they have independent drivers working in parallel.
RRF now will adjust during Z probe for 2, 3 or even 4 screws.
My CoreXYU uses dual Z ballscrews, each with their own home switch (soon to be hall-e), and applies a known offset.
No worries, unless you're stuck in series.
September 08, 2017 03:48AM
prot0typ1cal
DD is great for sure!

However, dual Z screws are okay, only if they have independent drivers working in parallel.
RRF now will adjust during Z probe for 2, 3 or even 4 screws.

Please note, although RRF supports 4 independent screws because I was asked to provide that support, I do not advise using 4 screws, except perhaps on very large printers for which a really rigid bed may be impractical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2017 03:50AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login