Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heated Bed Advice Please - Al Plate + Heated Mat

Posted by WesBrooks 
Heated Bed Advice Please - Al Plate + Heated Mat
September 08, 2017 03:52AM
Hi,

I've some Aluminium on order and need to bond my heated mat to it. Where do you normally source you cork matting for insulation? I may substitute the cork for silicone matting as we've some available. While it appears to have about three times the conductivity of cork the conductivity is still hundreds of times smaller than plain aluminium. Also what do you use to stick it all together? Plain sealant ok with the high temperatures? I'm guessing to comfortably reach 100-130°C I'm going to need adhesive ok for at least 150°C?

Thanks.
Re: Heated Bed Advice Please - Al Plate + Heated Mat
September 08, 2017 04:44AM
Most silicone bed heaters intended for 3D printing come with a sheet of 3M heat-resistant adhesive already applied. If yours didn't, buy a sheet of 468MP adhesive.

I suggest you arrange for the cork insulation to provide support to the heater, so that gravity isn't trying to peel the heater off the bed. I bought cork sheet from a supplier on eBay.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 08, 2017 06:18AM
[picks at corners of matt...] ;-)

Alas not on mine. Thanks for the tape name. Easy enough to get and much simpler to apply than the silicone sealant like approach that I thought it may have been.
September 11, 2017 05:54AM
I sell 468MP sheets if require any on my website.

www.andornot.co.uk, selling new products, including smoothie boards and other useful parts for 3D Printers:

AndOrNot buildplate launched, available in 6 inch, 8 inch, 12 inch and 17 inch square introductory discount code "20reprap"
And Or Not Build Plates
September 12, 2017 01:29AM
@WesBrooks

I got my cork from Ikea: [www.ikea.com] (US Link, but I got it locally in Australian store)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 01:30AM by briangilbert.

Co-creator of the Zesty Nimble, worlds lightest direct drive extruder.
[zesty.tech]
September 12, 2017 02:34AM
andornot
I sell 468MP sheets if require any on my website.

Cheers for that. Cheaper than I had found on ebay. Things are often ordered through a third party for one-offs like this. Hopefully you will get that order this, or early next week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 02:35AM by WesBrooks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login