Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SD Sorter - Free application

Posted by trustfm 
SD Sorter - Free application
October 03, 2017 06:04PM
I just made a free application that sorts SD cards.
It can be useful for Arduino based 3D Printers that use SD Cards.
I have made it because i needed it and might someone is interested too.

I have released it here :
[www.trustfm.net]

Please back up your data from the SD card.
The application is tested in small amount of machines and Operating systems. (5 machines in total 4 different operating systems Win7 Win10 Liinux Mint 17.3 32bit LinuxMint 18 64 bit)
Some SD Sorters modify directly the FAT-32 "files table". This is a low level operation that may corrupt your SD Card.
SDSorter on the other hand just moves (renames) the files into a temp folder with the correct order and moves the files back again into the original path.
All the actions of SDSorter are tracked at the log file.

Let me know if you have any questions
Thanks for your time ! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2017 06:05PM by trustfm.
Re: SD Sorter - Free application
October 03, 2017 06:22PM
Thanks for sharing. Displaying the files in sorted order should be done by the user interface that displays the SD card contents, but I guess the older 3D printer firmwares don't do that, or you wouldn't have produced this workaround.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2017 06:23PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 03, 2017 06:33PM
Any firmware is unable to do this operation under arduino.
The reason is that the "order" that can be retrieved from the SD Card is stored at a table inside the FAT.
This order has nothing to do with alphabetical or other human orders.
Marlin and any other firmware need to sort on run time the file list. This is impossible due to CPU and specially memory limitations on arduino.
Marlin can do the first 40 voices for example but at least into my case wasn't able even to do all 40 (restarted while it was reading the SD Card).
I had to limit this number down to 20 in order to just get 20 "name ordered" files.
The "RATHERLAST" option has also the same limitation.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2017 06:35PM by trustfm.
October 04, 2017 04:27AM
Thanks for the explanation I've only used Marlin very briefly in the last 3 years so I'm not aware of some of its limitations. I can see that on an atmega2560 there wouldn't be enough RAM to sort many filenames.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login