Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Here - Am I in the right place?

Posted by Don McLean 
New Here - Am I in the right place?
October 14, 2017 11:55AM
Hello RepRap Forum,

I am new to this forum, and new to 3D printing.

I am looking to find a home to talk about 3D printing and hopefully get some questions answered and also spark discussions that will be helpful for everyone.

My plan is to build a resin based 3D printer, although I may or may not get an inexpensive filament printer at some future time.

I have read a few posts here about resin printers, which is why I joined, but this is the RepRap forum, and I don't see any resin printer sub sections.

So am I in the right place on this forum, or is there a more appropriate place, specifically to talk about printing with resins and UV light from a DIY perspective?
Re: New Here - Am I in the right place?
October 14, 2017 03:20PM
I'd say the majority of this forum is about fused deposition modelling printers. But thats not to say there isn't anyone here with resin printer experience but I'd expect it to be around 10% of forum members.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
October 15, 2017 04:59PM
Would agree with the above statement. If you want something that's 100% based on resin check out the SLS/SLA forums, there is a few of them around

[www.buildyourownsla.com]

there is also a google group on DLP printers but it can be hard to follow sometimes.
October 16, 2017 10:48PM
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I've tried the buildyourownsla forum. I registered and then patiently waited a couple days for the confirmation email, but it never came. Then I contacted the admin twice via the contact options for the forum, never heard back. I also used the resend confirmation email feature, didn't get a thing.

You're right, the google groups is hard to follow. Looking for a place that is easier to have discussions with people, has build logs, and is more like a traditional forum, etc.

Perhaps, if no one objects, I'll just make some posts here and see if the 10% answers me?
October 17, 2017 12:12AM
Oh that sucks about the buildyourownsla forums. I never signed up, just looked through to see if I wanted to build one a few years back.

Id say post away, you will find the people who are active and can give advice. And who knows this might give me the kick to build one myself, or at least add it to my list of half finished projects / hobbies
October 17, 2017 06:17PM
I made my first technical post here:

[forums.reprap.org]

I'm thinking of trying a 3LCD projector. I haven't seen anyone else do it, but also, I haven't seen anyone else try the modifications I suggest.

Not sure if it's a great idea.
October 19, 2017 06:33PM
I was Alright For a While, I could smile for a while,
then I found this place, the place for lost souls, looking for answerssmiling smiley
The Place where People come when Plastic Printers Die
Kindred Souls that sometimes talk.
October 20, 2017 10:04PM
MechaBits
I was Alright For a While, I could smile for a while,
then I found this place, the place for lost souls, looking for answerssmiling smiley
The Place where People come when Plastic Printers Die
Kindred Souls that sometimes talk.

A long long time ago I can still remember how the idea of a cnc router could make me smile

But don't worry

Because I know if I have my chance, that I can make a 3d printer dance

And maybe I'll be happy for a while.....
October 21, 2017 07:02AM
A CNC Router would sure bring a smile to my face for a while too.
it would be good to have a low cost resin printer after all its just one axis, cant be too long before a good UV screen makes things very easy to do, except for the price of the resins & the mess, but great to have the option of doing it when needed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login