Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bed Fan only on at 100%

Posted by scubi 
Bed Fan only on at 100%
October 19, 2017 07:50AM
Hi Guys
I have added bed fan to my Prusa style printer. My print starts and on the second layer the bed fan comes on, but if I try turn it down to arounf 90% or 80% the fan stops ?
Using Marlin firmware, Ramps 1.4 etc

Why is my fan only capable of working at 100%

Thanks
Re: Bed Fan only on at 100%
October 19, 2017 04:15PM
Where's it plugged in?
October 19, 2017 04:36PM
Some fans you just cant PWM... some have managed to solve it by putting a small capacitor across the wires
October 20, 2017 06:56AM
Hi
I have the Fan plugged into the Ramps Board where the heated bed fan usually is.
I need to try another fan and see if does the same thing.

Just strange that when I try reduce power , it switches off . Runs only if its at 100 %.

Thanks anyway for your time & replies.
October 20, 2017 07:01AM
scubi
Just strange that when I try reduce power , it switches off . Runs only if its at 100 %.

That's typical of fans that don't like PWM. Sometimes you can get them to work by reducing the PWM frequency to 100Hz or even lower.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 20, 2017 07:20AM
Hi
Thanks, stupid question , how do I reduce the Hz ? Where is this setting, is it in Marlin Firmware ?

Thanks
October 20, 2017 10:33AM
I don't know Marlin well so I'll let someone else answer that. In RepRapFirmware you change the PWM frequency using use a M106 command with F (frequency) parameter in the config.g file on the SD card.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 20, 2017 02:12PM
Does it matter if Marlin is set on something other than EFB or whatever for the board?
There seem to be a few similar.(from memory)
October 24, 2017 07:24AM
Hi
Thanks guys for the help. Sorted out by changing the fan. It works fine now.

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login