Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Maxiwatt hotend heater

Posted by Bill Clark 
Maxiwatt hotend heater
October 25, 2017 09:07PM
Dont know if you guys have seen this yet but I stumbled across it a while back. Seems like a tidy setup for certain applications [www.hot-end.com]
Re: Maxiwatt hotend heater
October 26, 2017 06:07AM
This is not unlike the mini hotend from Deltaprintr [deltaprintr.com] which I have and which does work.

So I'd say +1 for this idea. However the total thermal mass of the unit is lower, so it will cope less well with big changes in extrusion volume, such as when going from small details to long, large infill lines/perimeters. These things heat up quicker but oscillate around the set point more. I would expect the total max. volumetric rate to be lower with this style of heater but I'd be pleased to be proved wrong.

I sell 50w (24v) heater cartridges not because you need 50w to maintain the temperature in your hotend, it helps you to get to temp faster, and then deal with varying demand better, for example with volcano hotend and large nozzles going from small details to large, long infill. The Q&A Tom S did with E3D recently was very enlightening about these issues and is worth a watch. They are even talking about a melt chamber with fins inside it, to increase the surface area for heat transfer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2017 06:08AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
October 26, 2017 05:26PM
Nice, when I designed my latest fan shroud I thought it would be great to get rid of the off-center square block & replace with a round one, this looks like the ideal replacement.
October 26, 2017 05:39PM
I'm waiting to hear back from them whether they do a version with a PT100 sensor instead of a thermistor. I wouldn't want to use what sounds like a generic Chinese thermistor without a manufacturer's published resistance vs. temperature table.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 26, 2017 06:18PM
I can appreciate the design of that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login