Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bondtech Extruder Patented?

Posted by amatta 
Bondtech Extruder Patented?
November 13, 2017 04:16PM
So I was curious, is the dual hobbed gear design (coupled with standard gear) of the bondtech extruder patented? I haven't seen any other companies copy this method even though to my understanding the design is effective. Is there a reason?
Re: Bondtech Extruder Patented?
November 14, 2017 02:47AM
A picture or link of the dual gear would be nice...
November 14, 2017 07:06AM
Printrbot has been using a dual gear extruder for a while. Not sure who was first.

[printrbot.com]
November 14, 2017 09:56AM
I'm not a patent expert, but I suspect there is just way too much prior art. Pushing a tube or rod with a pair of wheels is extremely obvious and you can find such arrangements everywheree.

Mig welders, for example, use a virtually identical mechanism to push metal wire through a bowden tube where it can be melted onto the workpiece (sound familiar?).

[www.google.com]
November 15, 2017 08:04AM
If its is patented, dyze design have infringed on the patent (as well as printrbot) as they also use a dual drive design. I dont think its patented but as far as I'm aware they went closed source. I dont think you can patent something as straight forward as the number of hobbed gears used to push filament. Plus, as 691 said, mig welders have used similar systems in the past and i believe so has stratasys. If anyone would have patented it, it would be stratasys.
November 15, 2017 01:01PM
Well I suppose you could search for their patents, or make one and start selling it an see if anyone sues you.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
November 15, 2017 02:29PM
Trakyan
If anyone would have patented it, it would be stratasys.

So maybe it's patented by Stratasys (or someone else) and licensed by Bondtech?
November 15, 2017 08:33PM
Hahaha, stratasys sharing rights to their patents. That's funny.

EDIT: Didn't mean to sound rude, though I don't think stratasys would have licensed it out. They might have bought bondtech and started selling the gears (like they did with makerbot and the replicators), but I don't think they'd have licensed it out. Bottom line, I don't think it's patented, a number of companies do it and there are plenty of ones people have published, plus it's used in a number of other industries for similar purposes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2017 09:04PM by Trakyan.
April 01, 2019 11:18AM
Is there a patent number by bondtech or just a rumour?
April 01, 2019 11:51AM
there are tons of BMG clones on ebay £10 even saw a bulldog for £6
April 01, 2019 12:03PM
Just because there are clones does not mean its is not Patented.... Certain countries eg China, go out of their way ignore such things and clone it regardless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2019 12:04PM by Dust.
April 01, 2019 01:27PM
your not wrong there Dust
April 01, 2019 01:49PM
If they have a patent or something patent pending, they would probably mention it in their website, but I see no mention. Anyone know anything else?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login