Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa I3 build - Layer Fan Issue , please help!

Posted by N3wtonic 
Prusa I3 build - Layer Fan Issue , please help!
November 19, 2017 04:30AM
Hello

This is my first post on this forum and I was wondering if someone could please help me with this issue I've been trying to fix the past month.

So I've built my own iteration of the prusa I3 and it works pretty well for my first build, but I have a major issue with the layer fan when printing with PLA.

Printer details:
- Has heatbed
- Bowden setup
- LCD Controller
- Layer Fan
- Using cura 15.04.6 as slicer
- Standard Arduino + Ramps board (not too sure about the version , but im pretty sure it's 1.4 just based on the vendor's website) But , I don't know where to check for the version on the board itself though.
- Marlin Firmware

Problem:
When I start my print with the layer fan settings enabled on cura, the first layer goes down well and the fan is not running. All good so far. But after the first layer, every time the layer fan comes on, it somehow powers the heatbed too! This results in the heat bed's temperature going higher and higher, overshooting the set value, which is not what I want at all when printing with PLA as it starts to warp my part , especially smaller ones.
Also, when I change the fan's speed manually via the LCD controller, it also powers the heatbed. (I've noticed that when I power it to like 20% , the LED on the Ramps board which indicates the heat bed being powered on , lights up faintly , and as I increase the % , it brights up accordingly.

The layer fan is connected directly to the D9 power terminal and the heat bed is connected right next to it D8 and the extruder of course is on the D10.

Things I've tried so far:
I've made sure that the D9 and D8 wires do not make contact to anything, they are well insulated from each other.
I've tried tinkering with the pins.h configuration file within marlin, making sure that each port is powering correctly (I'm no expert on this, but I haven't seen anything that could explain this issue.)
Looked online through many sources but I couldn't find anything that relates to my issue or how to get around this.

I don't want to connect the layer fan directly to the power supply either, because as mentioned I want the slicer to manage the layer fan , instead of me manually switching it on and off.

I really don't know what to do to fix this issue, and I would really appreciate some input from the smart folks here on the forum.

Thank you for reading.
Re: Prusa I3 build - Layer Fan Issue , please help!
November 20, 2017 07:13AM
Did you configure your Mainboard in Marlin as RAMPS14_EFB or maybe RAMPS14_EFF ? (Hope I did write it down correct from just remembering)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2017 07:13AM by Dancer.
November 20, 2017 09:52AM
Thank you for the reply smiling smiley

I went searching for what you described , but I can't see anything that can tell me which one I have It configured as.
What tab could I find this in?

I've attached the Ino file if anyone else wants to maybe have a look?
Attachments:
open | download - Marlin.ino (1.8 KB)
November 21, 2017 08:22AM
It is in configuration.h
Aditional settings are in configuration_adv.h
As a normal user theres normally nothing to do in any of the other tabs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login