Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap user-group

Posted by Liav 
RepRap user-group
January 02, 2008 08:31PM
(sorry for the cross-post: this first appreared in the Toronto user-group)

Hi. I'm currently running dorkbot Toronto. I recently tossed out the idea of creating some kind of rep-rap user-group. Interaccess, one of our local artist run centres regularly runs workshops, and is specifically focused on electronic arts. I'm curious if any one has had any experience building a rep-rap in a collaborative group. Are there ways that making a rep-rap could be broken down into work-shop like elements (eg, Stepper-Motors 101; Nozzle Extruders & What They Can Do For You!; etc)? Is there a list of necessary skills to getting a rep-rap running?

Any general thoughts/advice?

Thanks,
Liav.
Re: RepRap user-group
January 02, 2008 08:36PM
Hi,

I'm in the process of building a reprap right now for myself and also doing a class-build of one for my college. We have broken down the construction into subsystems like:

Electronics
Stepper Motors
X-Stage
Y-Stage
Z-Stage
Leveling System
Frame Components
Extruder
Host Software
Integration

Pretty pedantic, yes, but effective if you want to break stuff up into more manageable chunks. I don't know if you are gonna be able to run it like a simple workshop though. Things can get pretty involved and need a lot of attention. Though, if you have all the parts at hand pre-made it should be fairly simple to assemble it all.

Hope that helped

Demented
January 03, 2008 03:27AM
Liav,

You shouldn't have any trouble with the electronics side.

I'd guess your major issue is what kind of three-axis positioner to use. What are you planning to do there?
January 10, 2008 08:13AM
Sebastien.. still not sure. Discussion's been kind of stop and start.
January 13, 2008 10:49PM
Liav,

What is your budget, and do you have access to the big CNC router at UToronto Architecture?

You may want to take a look at "Joes CNC Model 2006", a set of plans for a machine made from wood or mdf*.
[www.cnczone.com]

The build cost varies:
[www.cnczone.com]

*would OSB work better than mdf? Wouldn't have to paint it.

There are a dozen other ways to do it. CNC-adapt some chinese mill-drills, make the Darwin parts using a laser-cutter** or normal woodworking, etc. etc.

I like the Taig benchtop mill, myself.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login