Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Scaling Mendel to provide larger build envelope

Posted by vizion 
Scaling Mendel to provide larger build envelope
April 08, 2011 10:23AM
What problems will I face scaling the mendel design to provide a larger Build Envelope.

My ideal envelope would be 400mm x 500mm x 1400

What are the implications for the electronic control system?

Thanks in advance

David
Re: Scaling Mendel to provide larger build envelope
April 08, 2011 10:35AM
Electronics: Nothing that I can think of.
Firmware: May need some changes, but maybe not...
Mechanics: Here is the big problem. You will need a heated bed in this size and the frame must be stable. You will need M10 or more likely M12 threaded rod to provide the needed stability at this size (or a mechanic redesign). You do know that it will take forever to print out an object that fills this build envelope don't you?

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 08, 2011 10:43AM
I'm thinking a 1400 mm tall print may fall over during Y axis moves, coming unstuck from the build platform. I'd suggest scaling a design more like the Ultimaker, in which the built platform only moves in the Z axis. Ultimaker's configuration has also run at speeds much faster than the Mendels, which you'll want for a build that large. Another benefit will be a smaller footprint, since you won't need room for the platform to move in the Y axis.

Another consideration is that heating a build platform that large will require a lot of power. It will need it's own power supply, switched from the control electronics by a relay. You may also need to consider a heated build chamber for prints that large.
April 08, 2011 02:31PM
Start here:
http://reprap.org/wiki/MegaMendel
http://reprap.org/wiki/1X2_Tallcat
grinning smiley

I'd suggest scaling a design more like the Ultimaker, in which the built platform only moves in the Z axis.
I'd make the long axis horizontal. Forrest is doing up a double-wide Darwin-like machine which should be fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2011 06:01PM by SebastienBailard.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
April 11, 2011 05:19AM
Bearing in mind increased loads I have been looking at the specs for the STP-MTR-23079 using the AVR-Based stepper motor Driver.

Has anyone any experience of this combination?

Thanks in advance

david
April 13, 2011 12:56AM
You may want to follow Prusa's progress on the monster.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/prusajr/5607512102/in/photostream
April 13, 2011 09:32AM
Thanks will do.

I am also looking at using aluminium extrusions for a rigid frame rather than a triangulated structure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login