Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aluminum Bed Thickness for Inductive sensors?

Posted by disneytoy 
Aluminum Bed Thickness for Inductive sensors?
December 07, 2017 08:12PM
So, My Prusa clone has one of those red PCB heated beds, and I have a piece of glass over it. I want to use an Inductive sensor. I was going to order an all aluminum bed. I can get a great price on a 2mm thick one. But would a 3mm work better?

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 08:18PM by disneytoy.
Re: Aluminum Bed Thickness for Inductive sensors?
December 08, 2017 01:59AM
Don't bother with this kind of sensor. Use piezo, strain gauge, switch etc .... reacting to the nozzle touching the bed.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
December 08, 2017 02:41AM
I have two 12mm dia inductive sensors on my printers and they work quite well.
On my 3mm MK3 heatbed it switches just 1mm above the bed, there is no room for glass. On the other printer I have a 6mm cast aluminum bed and it switches a bit earlier, but still no way to put glass between.
I've heard someone mention, he uses aluminum foil wrapped around the sensor head. He adjusts the height of the foil in a way, that the sensor just doesn't switch. That extends the trigger level above the bed a lot. I haven't tested it yet.
December 08, 2017 03:23AM
Thanks guys!

Then I will stick with my glass and i have a Strain sensor for my nozzle on order. My Inductive sensor is rated at 2mm. So not much room for error.
December 11, 2017 06:24AM
I've had good success with an 8mm detection distance inductive sensor and 3mm glass with double thick aluminium foil under it, but moved onto to develop piezo sensors as the inductive is still, sensitive to temperature changes, offset from the nozzle, and large/heavy.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login