Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fried Arduino+Ramps 1.4 (Try to find the problem/reason)

Posted by Gorgoton 
Fried Arduino+Ramps 1.4 (Try to find the problem/reason)
December 13, 2017 06:30PM
First of all, hi and thank you to help me,

I think I fried my Arduino, but don’t understand how and where. I know it is a bit long, but I want to give all the information I know.

**Context:** I know how to use an Arduino with his ramps 1.4 for a 3D printer but when we talk about repairing and understand how it works, I am real newbie.
So, I have been printing pieces for maybe two weeks and while the printer was printing, I touch the board to see if the fans were cooling the board correctly. (I have already printed maybe 3x 4 hours + print WITH the fans) The printer suddenly stop printing and the LCD screen became all white. As far as I know, any cable or wire have been disconnected during the manipulation. There was a fried electronic / plastic smell coming out of the power supply side of the board. I have looked at it and there is nothing different on the board appearance (Arduino mega and ramps 1.4).

I have also notice that the circled region on the picture was kind of hot during the print. I don't know if that is normal or if it means something. When I disconnected all the wire from the ramps, I have notice that the fried smell seems to come from the power supply/bed port of the ramps (green and blue port).

I have made some research for maybe 2/3 hours and I could not find what is my problem, but I have made some tests (The Arduino was supply via the 5V USB cable port during the tests):
- When the Arduino and the ramps are connected via USB, the LCD screen works but when it is connected to the power supply, the screen is all white.
- When the two boards are connected to the power supply, the fried smell come back.
- I am able to download the marlin firmware on the Arduino.
- The 5V pin on the ramps and on the Arduino shows around 5.60V while the 3.3V pin on the Arduino shows 3.65V.
- I measure the voltage on the 3.3V and the 5V regulators and both shows 5.6V which is strange for the 3.3V, because the 3.3V pin shows the good voltage.

If the problem is the 3.3V voltage regulator, is it possible/easy to change?

Thanks a lot
Attachments:
open | download - 25323108_1601079866618488_1388268397_n.jpg (90.3 KB)
VDX
Re: Fried Arduino+Ramps 1.4 (Try to find the problem/reason)
December 13, 2017 06:56PM
... you most likely fried the +5V-regulator - and yes, you can replace it.

They mostly fail when shorting the +5V to ground (e.g. end switch wrong around) or overpowered by the LCD-display, but in your case this could be through an electrical surge while touching the board ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 14, 2017 10:02AM
How can you overpowered the LCD display? I have noticed that when the printer was printing, the intensity of the light of the LCD screen was oscillating. Does it meen something? Because I don't want to fried the next arduino ahahah
VDX
December 14, 2017 10:21AM
... some LCD's draw more current, than the +5V-regulator can support continuously - you can add another +5V-source with enough power, but then better without connection to the +5V of the Arduino - connecting the GND's only isenough ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login