Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Microsoft onedrive now supports STL thumbnails

Posted by DjDemonD 
Microsoft onedrive now supports STL thumbnails
December 19, 2017 06:04PM
If you have stl files on onedrive you can see thumbnails of them now, so long as you view via onedrive.com on a browser.

Not quite as useful as thumbnails in windows but it's a start.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Re: Microsoft onedrive now supports STL thumbnails
December 20, 2017 01:28AM
Now it's official: 3D printers are mainstream now! smoking smiley

...time to look for a new hobby winking smiley
December 20, 2017 03:54AM

been thinking that for a while...

also you have to be insane to control a printer with windows! (Microsoft development team: I know, lets reboot their computers when ever we feel like it, regardless of whats its doing! )
VDX
December 20, 2017 05:17AM
... 3D-printing with plastic was the easiest part - now think about the next evolving steps winking smiley

-> "limitless" material selection, not only for comercial use ...
--> "dimensional freedom" from micrometers to nanometers ... and from meters to kilometers ...
---> ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 20, 2017 09:27PM
Nah I thinking Biological printers to print my own Biological computing devices
December 20, 2017 11:35PM
Dust

been thinking that for a while...

also you have to be insane to control a printer with windows! (Microsoft development team: I know, lets reboot their computers when ever we feel like it, regardless of whats its doing! )

I work there, doing developer support: do your modeling on Windows, but don't leave your printer controlled for too long via Windows, because of that, and it's either tuned to be a desktop or a server OS, but it's NOT designed (or warrantied/supported) as a real-time OS.

If it makes you feel any better, all Microsoft employees have their machines forcefully rebooted for updates at the most inconvenient times, too!
December 21, 2017 12:58AM
Well I hope you feedback to your employer quite how ridiculous this is. My Android phone doesn't reboot without my permission at an inconvenient time. My PC at work decided to spend 45 minutes installing an update last week. So my patients didn't get their teeth checked until it finished as all their notes are on the computer.

Do Microsoft sell a desktop operating system which doesn't do this? Sorry it's not your fault but you must have a brass neck.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
December 21, 2017 01:35AM
One thing about the thumbnails bothers me a bit ( I'm not surprised, tho )
To generate a thumbnail pic, Microsoft has to open and analyze the file. So it's best to avoid cloud storing to protect your IP.
December 21, 2017 02:26AM
A little research on the web will get you info on how to prevent updates at inconvenient times.
December 21, 2017 05:11AM
I hate it with a passion as I almost always have a lot of stuff open and running at any given time, and to some degree, we get warnings and can put it off for a certain amount of time: however, the internal IT department forces it on us eventually as a security measure.

It's designed by default that people will get updated, because unfortunately, when people are allowed to choose to ignore things for too long, they will do exactly that.

There are times when updates cause problems, that's true, unfortunately, but consider there are recent exploits/malware users have largely avoided with Windows 10 because of the standard policy: things get interesting when ian OS runs on more machines than any other single OS (not sure what the exact numbers are... and there are likely still more Windows 7 users than not, since for most users, Windows 7 works great for so many people, and 8 is largely... unloved...). Progress has a price, often higher than people are willing to pay.

But, I don't wish to go on too much about it all: embedded software (often preferably without an OS) is ultimately the right tool for the job of long-running machinery, because it is optimized for its purpose, which explicitly includes no unexpected changes, ever.
December 21, 2017 05:49AM
@JonathanThompson

Ill make a suggestion. Please pass it on.

For home users there needs to be a option. Turn off auto updates and reboots, but doing so can result in all internet connectivity except patches and updates being disabled. Disabling happens as soon as a dangerous exploit patch is released and there machine refuses to apply it. Also make it extremely obvious when this happens. (all icons and fonts have red outlines for eg, ie a sick computer)

They can run like this for as long as they like, but can't reconnect till they update and reboot etc.

Running windows update manually to get the patches restores full internet connectivity on completion.

This would help out all of us using windows machines connected to real world devices.
December 21, 2017 09:47PM
Dust
@JonathanThompson

Ill make a suggestion. Please pass it on.

For home users there needs to be a option. Turn off auto updates and reboots, but doing so can result in all internet connectivity except patches and updates being disabled. Disabling happens as soon as a dangerous exploit patch is released and there machine refuses to apply it. Also make it extremely obvious when this happens. (all icons and fonts have red outlines for eg, ie a sick computer)

They can run like this for as long as they like, but can't reconnect till they update and reboot etc.

Running windows update manually to get the patches restores full internet connectivity on completion.

This would help out all of us using windows machines connected to real world devices.

Why don't you just disable updates on your machine, then enable them for a day on the first Tuesday of every month. It's not hard to do.
December 22, 2017 02:34AM
Okay how do you do it? The only method I've found is to disable the windows update system service.

Surely we should be able to prevent our computers randomly restarting without disabling parts of the operating system.

I agree with the idea that if a critical vulnerability is notified to the machine it should cease to communicate with the Internet until patched. But arriving at work to find you can't actually do any work for 45 minutes while you get an update is not acceptable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2017 05:44AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

December 22, 2017 05:41AM
@etfrench

I've not found any method that they cant override, other than installing Linux, Which is my preferred option.

But I was thinking for Jo blogs, who doesn't want to play with services or the registry or what ever else internal system
December 22, 2017 06:16AM
I use the commercial version of Windows 10, which thankfully allows me to choose when to install updates. I would find it really annoying if I couldn't choose when to install them. But a general-purpose PC isn't the right machine to controlling real-time tasks such as 3D printing anyway. I always upload my gcode files to the printer's SD card and print from that.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 30, 2017 11:49PM
dc42
But a general-purpose PC isn't the right machine to controlling real-time tasks such as 3D printing anyway. I always upload my gcode files to the printer's SD card and print from that.

This^^^^

People shouldn't be printing from USB PC connections. I learned the hard way (failed print) early on.

Printers: Heavily redesigned TwoUp with E3D V6 and Robo3D R1+ with Chimera/Cyclops
December 31, 2017 03:35PM
I did it just yesterday was recalibrating my microdelta, via USB, decided to just run a print and 20 minutes in, nudged the USB cable. DOH!

Simon Khoury

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login