Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need Help with Design Choices - Vertical or Horizontal Printing?

Posted by Don McLean 
Need Help with Design Choices - Vertical or Horizontal Printing?
January 10, 2018 07:23PM
I just can't decide what to do.

I want to 3d print objects about 7" x 30" x 5" although I'd also like to print some things around 12" cubed but that isn't my main reason for building this . I was also thinking about using some Nylon X or similar nylon & carbon fiber filament. I have decided to go with an IDEX style dual print head.

Do I want to print the parts horizontally or do I want to print the parts vertically?

The vertical system will be far easier to build. I will only need one Z axis and the build plate will be much smaller, perhaps 12.5" x 15" based on some of the linear rails that I have and using IDEX dual extrusion.

The horizontal system would have a build plate of about 14" x 36" (with about 30" usable) and require two shorter Z axis and be more work to build and take up a much larger footprint.

I will be using good square type linear rails for the whole project.

I am concerned that printing the parts vertically will lead to less strong parts, although I think there may be ways to fix that and reinforce the parts afterwards.

I am concerned that printing the parts horizontally might lead to increased chances of peeling from the bed and other problems?

If it turns out that I don't need the soluble support material, the IDEX configuration will allow me to print two parts at once in either configuration.

Any advice is appreciated. I just can't decide what to do.
Re: Need Help with Design Choices - Vertical or Horizontal Printing?
January 10, 2018 07:31PM
Heating that horizontal bed will take a LOT of power. Keeping it flat over that length might be a trick, too.

Are the parts going to work right whether they are printed horizontally or vertically?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 10, 2018 07:58PM
Thanks for the reply!

I don't know how much the strength will be affected by vertical printing of long parts that aren't particularly wide, but there may be a few simple ways to reinforce the parts if printed vertically. So that definitely influences if it will "work right" and it is unknown to me at this point.

I assume that they would work right either way. If you're talking about print orientation, bridging, etc, to my knowledge it would be about the same vertically or horizontally, and vertically might be a bit easier, require less support, etc.

I don't have any first hand experience yet with FDM printing (I do have some making CNC machines), so the long slender parts, I don't know, is it a problem to print long slender parts vertically?

I have been looking at some Youtube vids of people using phenolic (is that correct?) beds to print nylon onto without heating them and getting good results. I have no desire really at this point to print ABS from what I have seen. Probably just PLA and Nylon and CF reinforced Nylon and perhaps some of the other filaments like bamboo fill from time to time.

I don't really know if I need a heated bed. Do I?

What would you do in my shoes?
January 10, 2018 08:01PM
Let's assume that I will reinforce the printed parts with CF cloth afterwards so that the strength derived from the layer orientation isn't a factor.

In this case, which would be a better machine to build?
January 11, 2018 02:14AM
If the part will definitely be satisfactory if printed vertically, I suggest you use a delta printer. They are especially good at printing tall parts and the mechanical construction is simpler than for other types.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 11, 2018 02:07PM
dc42
If the part will definitely be satisfactory if printed vertically, I suggest you use a delta printer. They are especially good at printing tall parts and the mechanical construction is simpler than for other types.

Good point but the OP has said he want dual print heads which won't be easy on a Delta.
January 11, 2018 02:17PM
@ Don Mclean,

I'd go for the narrow but tall. As you say, very much easier to build - especially if you are considering IDEX. But, I have no experience of printing Nylon or Carbon fibre so cannot advise on layer adhesion properties with those particular filaments. I can show you a couple of examples that I've made with other filaments though. This first one is PET-G\Taulman T Glass [www.youtube.com] and this one, although smaller is with PLA [www.youtube.com]. Neither of them have strength issues but then neither of them are subject to any great stress.

HTH

Ian

[somei3deas.wordpress.com]
[www.youtube.com]
January 11, 2018 04:04PM
Keep in mind with very tall prints, getting support material to work properly can be a problem. That can somewhat limit your design options for prints.

January 11, 2018 10:14PM
What sort of forces and along what directions is this going to experience? That'll influence what the "best" orientation is strength wise, but if you'll be reinforcing the part later, that adds post process and makes the 3d print essentially cosmetic.
January 12, 2018 10:48PM
Thank You everyone for your replies!

I'm just so indecisive. Probably a big part of that is because this is my first 3d printer build. Also I want it to be my last 3d printer build, knock on wood. Unless it works awesomely, and I want another one so I can print two printers at the same time smiling smiley.

So some of the issues that I am thinking about..........I found these videos on YouTube, I am not affiliated with any of the makers of these videos, I am simply using them to facilitate discussion, so if one of these videos belongs to anyone here, thank you for sharing it!

Some discussion on surfaces for printing Nylon:

phenolic
[www.youtube.com]

garolite
[www.youtube.com]

Interesting in the above video at 9:52 he mentions that the mark forged printers do not have a heated bed.

Looking at the strength of Nylon:

[www.youtube.com]

If you look at 7:15 in the above he mentions that the strength of his tests was actually lower when printing horizontally, which I find to be surprising.

Nylon on it's own is too flexible for my application, which is why I have been contemplating a Nylon Carbon fiber mix. I have also been contemplating trying to use continuous strand carbon fiber embedded in the prints. I think I could modify a colour mixing nozzle to do this. If I go with the vertical build, I can't do this anymore as the orientation will be in the wrong direction. But perhaps this would be a waste of time to pursue, given some other simpler options, at this point, I don't know.

Looking at bed lifting on larger parts:

[www.youtube.com]

I've been watching a bunch of this gentleman's videos, perhaps he is a member here? Looks like he is using ABS, which I am not planning on at this point, but it seems to me that the larger the print surface in contact with the bed, the more the chance of it delaminating from the bed while printing? Or perhaps this is just an ABS phenomenon? @ deckingman, it looks like you don't have any problems with peeling from your large bed? Any comments on the chances of prints lifting from the bed based on size? Thanks for sharing the vids BTW.

Lastly, I will be using the Z axis of this printer as a top down DLP printer also. As this kind of printer only has one moving axis, it seems obvious to me to simply incorporate it into the design, mount the projector on the side of the FDM machine frame, have a piece that connects to the printer's z axis from the other side, and bob's your uncle, you could use it for either purpose. The longer Z axis would give me the option of DLP printing longer parts. Although if it turns out that horizontal printing is better for FDM, I could simply make a separate printer with a single axis for DLP.

@dc42 have you seen a duet board being used on a DLP printer?

@digital dentist, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that on tall prints getting support to work properly can be a problem. Do you have any examples? I am thinking with the IDEX style heads I can use as much support material as is needed so this isn't a problem?

@Trakyan, the overall shape adds to the function, nylon would definitely be strong enough I think (I just don't know about layer orientation and delamination between layers), but for stiffness it would not be, so that is why I am looking at the nylon CF, although as I mentioned there may be some other ways to do it, in which case the outer 3d printed shell would simply need to be impact resistant, and I believe nylon is still a good choice for that.
January 13, 2018 12:30AM
The standard support material generated by the slicers is typically pretty thin and often fails to go very tall before it breaks or bends. If you were trying to make a print that goes up 500 mm and needed support for an overhang at the top of the print, the chances of the support material actually getting there are pretty slim. You can design your own, sturdier support and include it in your design file, or get a slicer like S3D that I believe allows manually editing and repositioning the support material.

January 13, 2018 03:15AM
Exactly, what kind of parts do you want to make ? Any example ?
How did you decide you wanted to 3D print them ?

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
January 13, 2018 04:37AM
Don McLean
@dc42 have you seen a duet board being used on a DLP printer?

No. The processor requirements for DLP and FDM printers are very different. FDM involves a lot of hard-real-time computation and pulse generation, but the RAM requirements are modest. DLP requires generation processing of a complete monochrome image to the required resolution, which is typically 1080p, but there is much less real-time processing involved. Also you need an HDMI output to control the projector. So DLP printers are usually controlled by a microcomputer such as an RPi running a general-purpose operating system such as Linux.

If you are making a combined FDM + DLP printer, then it's probably easiest to use both a Duet or other microcontroller board to control the stepper motors and FDM printing, and a RPi or similar to handle the DLP part. You can run the user interface on just one of them and have it send commands to the other as needed.

How long and slender will your parts be? If they are very slender then you should print them horizontally.

HTH David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2018 04:39AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 13, 2018 06:03AM
Don McLean
....................... @ deckingman, it looks like you don't have any problems with peeling from your large bed? Any comments on the chances of prints lifting from the bed based on size? Thanks for sharing the vids BTW.

No probs with prints lifting with PLA, PET-G and T Glass. In fact, many people report that using PET-G they have the opposite problem - can't get the part off. I've tried most print surfaces that are out there but for me, 3DLac on heated float glass just works with everything, every time. I have tried bare aluminium which also works OK but I like to have a removable print surface as my largish bed takes forever to cool down, so swapping glass plates speeds up production time considerably. I don't print ABS though - the smell can trigger my cluster headaches but that's another story.

One thing that's important, especially with tall objects is that bed only moves in Z and not in Y. It doesn't look like you have any plans to move the bed that way but just thought I'd mention it.

[somei3deas.wordpress.com]
[www.youtube.com]
January 13, 2018 05:57PM
A dual fdm and dlp would be a great machine but I have some concern that it's extremely difficult to build "one printer to rule them all" especially when you want it to be your first machine and last. You are unlikely to achieve everything you want without iterating and modifying your machine gaining knowledge and experience as you do so. You may run into the amphibious car problem, it's not great in the water, and it's not great out of it either.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2018 05:58PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
January 14, 2018 08:59PM
Thank you to everyone for the replies so far!

dc42, that's good to know about the RPi. Let's say for argument's sake 2" x 2" x 30" as the worst case scenario.

deckingman, yes, for a vertical build, a long Z axis that moves only in Z. Yes, I'm concerned about long parts being knocked over.

DJ, yes, I hear what you are saying. Hopefully I can build a machine where I can modify it if needed without having to build a new machine should that arise. That's why I'm looking at using good linear components. From the CNC world I know that alot of people make a 2nd machine simply because they are not happy with the components they used on the first one and it subsequently can't perform as they want. I may yet decide to do two separate machines, but it would be nice to be able to experiment with both. The truth is that I will probably end up using one method far more than the other at the end of the day but I don't know which one that is yet. FDM offers some advantages due to the carbon fiber filaments and new filaments are being made all the time. The price of the more exotic filaments is a concern though, but I can only see it going down as more competitors enter the space.

One thing I have been thinking about during the past day is to buy a cheap printer and modify it just to get started. This might allow me to get some experience FDM printing and run some experiments. I've been looking at a cheap tevo tarantula. I can pick one up for $150 US.

Here's one that is heavily modified with IDEX style extruders

[www.youtube.com]

I'm assuming that I could modify that to be alot wider and stiffen the frame accordingly. I could use the printer to make most of the upgrade parts. In the end there wouldn't be much left of the original, but even the cost of some motors and the motherboard, and the ability to use the printer to modify it's self might might it worth it as a first platform. Then make a completely separate DLP printer.

Not sure if I'd reuse some of the wheels or simply do a 100% replacement with square linear rails. deckingman, looks like your large scale printer uses a similar (but probably better quality) system. What do you think of it?

Looks like he's using the mks gen board that comes with it, and I believe you can use that board with an expansion that adds a couple motors, even though it is only 8 bit.

Still not sure what to do, a big thanks to everyone who has replied so far.
January 15, 2018 02:24AM
Don McLean
Let's say for argument's sake 2" x 2" x 30" as the worst case scenario.

IMO that is too slender to print vertically.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2018 02:25AM by dc42.

January 15, 2018 02:43AM
Wouldn't it be easier to ask a professional maker shop to print these things for you?
Or make the parts in two pieces and glue/screw them together?

edit: I confused cm with inches. A 30" long part would be taylor made for the "blackbelt"-style printers. Their layer orientation is around 45°.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2018 04:47AM by o_lampe.
January 15, 2018 05:52PM
o_lampe
Wouldn't it be easier to ask a professional maker shop to print these things for you?

I'm going to flip that around.
Do you own a 3d printer? Why? Why don't you ask a professional maker shop to do all your 3d printing for you?

Also, I'm pretty sure that having a pro shop that can do those lengths, well it would cost an arm and a leg, probably the same cost for me to make my own printer to do only a few pieces. And I want to do a bunch of different things with different design iterations, testing, etc, not to mention other projects.

I'm more interested in becoming a pro maker shop than in hiring one.

o_lampe
Or make the parts in two pieces and glue/screw them together?

I have been thinking about that, but for this application it's not ideal.

o_lampe
edit: I confused cm with inches. A 30" long part would be taylor made for the "blackbelt"-style printers. Their layer orientation is around 45°.

Are you trying to put me in the poor house? LOL.

Suggested retail 9500 Euro....12500 Euro with standing frame and roller table.....that's $14463 CAD to $19031 CAD. ROFLOL! And that's not including tax. I could buy 10 of the current used car I drive for that. Name's Tucker, not Sucker (although there appears to be one born every minute).

Interesting, printrbot is coming out with a similar design but I haven't seen it for sale.

The need for an additional support table for the part to rest on really doesn't reduce the actual footprint of the printer all that much. Although for exclusively doing long slender parts you could get away with a very small print xy area. Interesting concept. I wonder what slicers will do the 45 degrees?

Actually, now that I think about it, the claim for support free overhangs is over rated. This printer style is not capable of doing the geometries I want to do. At the 45 degree angle it would be printing in air at some points.

You'd really need to design your parts and limit your geometries to be able to be print on this machine which goes against the whole 3d printed concept of design anything you want then make it with 3d printing.

EDIT: You can probably add support material just like with any other 3d printer, although I can still think of several instances where you'd need alot of support material, especially after the start of the print has moved off the end of the treadmill. Not enough is known at this point about these for me to consider a DIY project along these lines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2018 06:20PM by Don McLean.
January 15, 2018 06:17PM
I like your go for it attitude Don but in Olampe's defence 30" long parts are on the extreme upper size for reprap style printers. I spent £1000+ and 50 hours of my time to make a very accurate delta that can print 270mm circular xy, and 460mm in z. But I can't print your parts in one piece, and they'll be the most epic things I will have ever printed even in two pieces. So the idea that someone who has experience making large 3d parts might help is not a stupid one if they're a one off.

The idea you might want to be that guy is a great one, but don't expect to be making 30" parts on a $250 printer unless you've got some new ideas to bring to 3d printing to help you do so.

And to be fair whilst the ideal should be to design whatever you want and print it, a lot of the time I make things I know I can print, as I was a 3d printer enthusiast before I got into designing things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2018 06:18PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
January 15, 2018 07:09PM
DjDemonD
I like your go for it attitude Don but in Olampe's defence 30" long parts are on the extreme upper size for reprap style printers.

Thanks smiling smiley.

Most reprap style printers use unsupported round rod of small diameter, like 8mm or 10mm. The deflection of a beam is based on the length cubed, so once you get to a certain size, they won't perform well.

There are many larger reprap printers, home made and even some commercial ones that can do over 30" although for some reason, they usually go for more square printing areas, making them much larger than what I'm considering.

Comparing to CNC routers using better linear components, 4' x 8' isn't uncommon and the first one I built has a cutting area of 5' x 12'. So the big problem I see with FDM printers that are really large is it could take many days to print large parts, then what do you do when a print fails? Making things bigger is relatively easy but speeding up the process is where it gets harder IMO. I fully expect my prints to take over 24 hours, and the volume really isn't that big.

The big question in my mind is are there any other effects when you print larger objects, particularly narrow ones, horizontally, as in mechanics specific to 3d printing, like once you get above a certain size it's hard to stop lifting at the edges, etc? If so, that would be a true upper size limiting concern for a printer, and that's something I need to understand when designing one.

DjDemonD
I spent £1000+ and 50 hours of my time to make a very accurate delta that can print 270mm circular xy, and 460mm in z. But I can't print your parts in one piece,

I will be spending alot more time than you did on this project.

DjDemonD
The idea you might want to be that guy is a great one, but don't expect to be making 30" parts on a $250 printer unless you've got some new ideas to bring to 3d printing to help you do so.

With all the upgrades, the cost would be closer to $500 to $1000, starting with a $150 printer, and there wouldn't be much of the original left when done. Did you see the video I posted? The person who made that changed almost the entire thing in incremental steps.
January 15, 2018 10:32PM
I was just looking at the CR-10S5. That thing has a build area of 20" x 20" and that's just some V-slot bolted together at right angles, and that could be stiffened significantly. Only 10 more inches to get to 30" in one direction, although I really wouldn't need the 20" in the other direction. So I think it is viable to modify an existing printer, although I haven't decided if that's what I will do.

I like the idea of the IDEX heads as I like the idea of dissolvable support, or if that isn't needed, then two parts at once. Of course, the orientation of the IDEX in the example video I found on Youtube and posted a link to for the Tevo Tarantula is going the wrong way to print two long parts simultaneously.

Still unsure about bed peeling on long parts but I think I'm making progress in my thought processes.

Comments, as always, are welcome.
January 15, 2018 11:50PM
if I wanted a 30" high part I would want to print it flat & long if poss
January 16, 2018 01:18AM
I put this together for about $1k. The belt lifted Z axis could easily be extended to any desired length for a minimal additional outlay of cash.

January 16, 2018 02:16AM
o_lampe

Confused ? Like here ?:

[www.youtube.com]

Note that in Quebec 30" is close a to one "verge" that translates to "dick", so the print requirement is for a short dick.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 02:34AM by MKSA.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
January 16, 2018 03:39AM
I didn't want to offend you, when I suggested to let somebody else print them. It just sounded to me, like you needed these parts (soon ).
The story of buying a printer and reconstruct it would cost you a few month until it's dialed in.

About the blackbelt: IIRC, they can tilt the printhead about a few 10°. Maybe they have a slicer, which can do that while printing, so the overhang issue wouldn't exist.

The 20x20" bed almost fits the bill. You can place the part diagonally on the bed.

I'd print this part vertically and design a clamp that holds the part in place until it is finished. I'd even go for a cold bed made of MDF and screw down the part.
January 16, 2018 08:34AM
Don McLean

The big question in my mind is are there any other effects when you print larger objects, particularly narrow ones, horizontally, as in mechanics specific to 3d printing, like once you get above a certain size it's hard to stop lifting at the edges, etc? If so, that would be a true upper size limiting concern for a printer, and that's something I need to understand when designing one.

Sure so on my large delta, if I want to print a tall part it will be best achieved by having a wide base and tapering as it grows in z. This stands to reason. Using a material like pla or petg (cf reinforced if you wish) will reduce the likelihood of the part becoming disconnected from the build plate as it warps less than abs or nylon. But I love the idea suggested above of screwing the part down to a wooden build plate.

The taller the part the more accurate your z axis needs to be, and the more accurate your extruder calibration needs to be as over extrusion will cause the nozzle to push the part laterally. Aiming for 0.5% underextrusion is often a reasonable strategy.

The more of the part in contact with the build plate and the less acute the angles on the first layer the less adhesion issues you will encounter. A circular based part detaches far less than a square one, using mouse ears to make acute corners on the first layer circular instead helps greatly.

Custom support built into the part also help and can be designed and tested printing scaled down versions of the part.

As for speed even large nozzles do not necessarily speed up printing as maximum melt rates are dependant on heater blocks. A very long melt zone in a custom block can speed things up. Diamond hotends feeding 3 reels into one nozzle can achieve 400mm/s with a 0.5mm nozzle with only a 40w heater cartridge. But its a heavy heater block so what you gain in melt rate you might lose in accuracy (or need to slow down which negates any benefit from having a higher melt rate).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 08:51AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

January 17, 2018 02:17PM
o lampe, that's an interesting suggestion. So would you pause the print after it has started in order to clamp the bottom of the print? I'm not sure how that would work?

digital dentist, I've looked through your blog, thank you for sharing! I agree with you that a belt isn't a bad choice for a Z axis. I looked at your stretch calculations, and I think that the flex couplers that attach the leadscrews on many 3d printers have the potential to stretch far more than your belt system does. It's interesting that you only needed two of the good quality rail blocks for your Z axis. I looked at your videos and your printer performs very nicely.

Getting into FDM printing, especially with some specific things in mind where quality is important is a bid daunting, because I see some YouTube vids where FDM printers are making parts that almost look similar in quality to some DLP or SLA parts while other videos (not yours) show people merrily printing things that look pretty awful. It's hard to know what you will end up with at the end quality wise.

The big difference obviously between a belt and a leadscrew is that the belt can move things quickly but the leadscrew is better at lifting loads. You have cleverly fixed this problem by adding a worm gear, so well done.

In your firmware, I assume that you can set a lower acceleration and speed value for your Z axis? As the Z only moves in tiny little steps, it seems to me that you'd definitely want the acceleration settings dialed down on the Z axis relative to the other two axis.

I can see you've used some small pillow blocks in your design, are those the inexpensive pillow blocks from EBay? How are they working for you? I am also thinking of using EBay pillow blocks to do something similar for my gantry movement run from a single dual shaft stepper. With the dual Idex heads I think I will stay away from the Corexy but also I think I will use just one motor to move the gantry, perhaps a Nema 23 running on 2A.

I'm still in a conundrum as to how I want to orient my parts. The risk of peeling / warping vs toppling.

MKSA, I've spent some time in Quebec and several of my good friends have been french first language, although it's funny, in Canada, there are French speaking communities both on the East coast and in Saskatchewan, not just Quebec.

In Quebec the women are beautiful and stop signs are a mere suggestion.
January 18, 2018 04:10PM
I'm thinking a long gantry, linear rail & belt, but as it only needs 3 inches in X & Z(or did you " mean feet?) the gantry wouldnt need support both sides, so a compact X Z arrangement would need designing, on one or 2 rails...be better if it could be done with one, to save the issues of aligning 2 long linear rails or figure out another way. then figure a way to re orient X Z through 90 deg, if you use vertically.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2018 04:13PM by MechaBits.
January 18, 2018 05:56PM
Don McLean

digital dentist, I've looked through your blog, thank you for sharing! I agree with you that a belt isn't a bad choice for a Z axis. I looked at your stretch calculations, and I think that the flex couplers that attach the leadscrews on many 3d printers have the potential to stretch far more than your belt system does. It's interesting that you only needed two of the good quality rail blocks for your Z axis. I looked at your videos and your printer performs very nicely.

*someone recently asked me about print quality toward the top of tall prints, fearing that the print may wobble a bit far away from the bed plate. Any play in the Z axis bearing blocks will be amplified by the long lever of a tall print. If one were really concerned about the top of a tall print wobbling because of the Z axis bearings, adding a second bearing block to one or both rails would probably stiffen things up. The large white lamp is the tallest thing I've printed at 500 mm, and is a poor model to use to check for that sort of problem but does illustrate a different type. If you watch this video carefully, at about 24 sec in you can see the top of the print being pushed a bit by the extruder. This is due to filament curling a bit combined with the height of the print making it less than solid. A print with infill would probably not have the same issues, though curling filament can always cause the nozzle to drag a bit. The next tallest thing I've done is a filament spool holder that's a bit over 300 mm tall. I posted some macro photos here of corners of the print to check the layer registration, because it should be obvious if there are problems there first. image #9 is near the center of the spool holder, adjacent to the small screw you can see in the other photos, about 150 mm above the bed surface. The other macro images are right up at the top of the print. You can see quite a bit of ringing- I don't recall the exact speed and acceleration settings in this print, but IRIC, after this print I may have reduced acceleration and junction deviation a bit to reduce ringing.

Getting into FDM printing, especially with some specific things in mind where quality is important is a bid daunting, because I see some YouTube vids where FDM printers are making parts that almost look similar in quality to some DLP or SLA parts while other videos (not yours) show people merrily printing things that look pretty awful. It's hard to know what you will end up with at the end quality wise.

* I think you can get quality prints, even from a crappy machine, if you're willing to put in the effort and willing to print slowly and wait for it to finish. A lot of people don't seem to mind tweaking the printer for a half hour every time they print, and some will even watch the print and tweak settings on the fly, but very few seem willing to print slowly enough to get a good result. Still others are obsessed with print speed over everything else, resulting in youtube videos of machines printing bird's nests at 600 mm/sec. I don't like tweaking and I don't mind waiting for prints to finish, and I like 40 hour long prints to make it all the way to 40 hours, so I build and configure accordingly.

The big difference obviously between a belt and a leadscrew is that the belt can move things quickly but the leadscrew is better at lifting loads. You have cleverly fixed this problem by adding a worm gear, so well done.

In your firmware, I assume that you can set a lower acceleration and speed value for your Z axis? As the Z only moves in tiny little steps, it seems to me that you'd definitely want the acceleration settings dialed down on the Z axis relative to the other two axis.

* I use 700 mm/sec^2 for XY (pretty heavy X axis) and I think Z is set to 1000 mm/sec^2. I don't think the acceleration in Z is nearly as critical as in X and Y, as long as you don't set it so high that it starts skipping steps. The load on the Z motor is pretty low, so it can easily follow the acceleration. Junction deviation in Z is set to 0 and I run all the Z axis motion at 20 mm/sec. The 1.8A motor gives up at 30 mm/sec (with the 1A that I use) but works reliably at 20 mm/sec.

I can see you've used some small pillow blocks in your design, are those the inexpensive pillow blocks from EBay? How are they working for you? I am also thinking of using EBay pillow blocks to do something similar for my gantry movement run from a single dual shaft stepper. With the dual Idex heads I think I will stay away from the Corexy but also I think I will use just one motor to move the gantry, perhaps a Nema 23 running on 2A.

* the pillow blocks are cheapies from ebay and they work fine. The bearings can pivot inside them to allow for minor misalignment. IRIC they were $6 each.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2018 05:57PM by the_digital_dentist.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login