Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D printer hosts not getting response from arduino nano.

Posted by scrub 
3D printer hosts not getting response from arduino nano.
January 20, 2018 10:51AM
Looks like not all of my problems are solved. I'm a newbie when it comes to 3D printer software and i don't know what works best.
After successfully uploading the teacup firmware i tried testing it out with Pronterface, mainly because it was mentioned in the teacup wiki. The problem i'm having is that Pronterface does not get any response from my arduino nano.
I've read that with pronterface you need to go to Menu -> Settings -> Debug G-code, but the version of pronterface i have does not have these menu options, rather in the settings tab it has "macros", "options", "slicing settings" and "debug communications". In options i can't find anything resembling "debug g-code".
I also tried ReplicatorG. At first it seemed promising because it had teacup in machine types and quickly found my arduino nano on COM3. This software also didn't get any response from my arduino nano, i assume it's because it has a Baud rate of 115200 and i don't see any option to change it.
Pronterface did have an option to change the Baud rate and i did try it at both 115200 and 57600 Baud rate, i also had the same Baud rates set in my config.h but i didn't get any response from my arduino nano.
I did re-upload the firmware to my arduino nano to confirm that it still works and it does.
Both Pronterface and ReplicatorG make the RX LED on my arduino flash briefly, the reset option in Pronterface does reset my arduino when i click it.
Maybe i'm not waiting long enough for my arduino nano to connect? How long should this take, anyways?
I never thought getting into 3D printing could be such a fiddle.
As always any help is appreciated.
Re: 3D printer hosts not getting response from arduino nano.
January 20, 2018 07:31PM
Its not hard to get into 3d printing, if you go main stream, teacup is not that mainstream

Anyway

make a new sketch

/*
 * Hello World!
 * This is the Hello World! for Arduino. 
 * It shows how to send data to the computer
 */

void setup()                    // run once, when the sketch starts
{
  Serial.begin(9600);           // set up Serial library at 9600 bps
}

void loop()                       // run over and over again
{
  Serial.println("Hello world!");  // prints hello with ending line break
  delay(1000);
}

upload this and open the serial monitor in arduino IDE at 9600 and verify your getting lots of "hello world!" on the display

If that worka, it time to test sending data

follow this tutorial (nb you can just use the on board led, no need to wire up a external) Most have the LED on D13

[www.instructables.com]
January 20, 2018 07:31PM
Its not hard to get into 3d printing, if you go main stream, teacup is not that mainstream

Anyway

make a new sketch

/*
 * Hello World!
 * This is the Hello World! for Arduino. 
 * It shows how to send data to the computer
 */

void setup()                    // run once, when the sketch starts
{
  Serial.begin(9600);           // set up Serial library at 9600 bps
}

void loop()                       // run over and over again
{
  Serial.println("Hello world!");  // prints hello with ending line break
  delay(1000);
}

upload this and open the serial monitor in arduino IDE at 9600 and verify your getting lots of "hello world!" on the display

If that works, it time to test sending data

follow this tutorial (nb you can just use the on board led, no need to wire up a external) Most have the LED on D13

[www.instructables.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2018 07:31PM by Dust.
January 21, 2018 04:56AM
scrub
does not have these menu options, rather in the settings tab it has "macros", "options", "slicing settings" and "debug communications". In options i can't find anything resembling "debug g-code".

Take "debug communications" ... and edit the wiki to reflect this change in Pronterface wording.

scrub
Maybe i'm not waiting long enough for my arduino nano to connect? How long should this take, anyways?

A second or two.

scrub

1000 developers with 10000 ideas on how to "improve" things.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

January 21, 2018 05:23AM
Traumflug
scrub
does not have these menu options, rather in the settings tab it has "macros", "options", "slicing settings" and "debug communications". In options i can't find anything resembling "debug g-code".

Take "debug communications" ... and edit the wiki to reflect this change in Pronterface wording.

scrub

A second or two.

scrub

1000 developers with 10000 ideas on how to "improve" things.
With debug communications on it says "SENT: M105". Do i need to be connected with debug on or does this just blind bit bang the g-code into my arduino?
It doesn't connect and the XYZ controls are not available it just keeps repeating "SENT: M105".
January 22, 2018 04:36AM
Having Debug turned on just shows what happens anyways.

There should be lines starting with RECV, too. Not having them indicates communications not working. Baud rate mismatch, Arduino unpowered, such stuff. Also make sure CPU Clock Rate (Configtool -> Board -> CPU) matches your Arduino.

January 22, 2018 08:34AM
Traumflug
Having Debug turned on just shows what happens anyways.

There should be lines starting with RECV, too. Not having them indicates communications not working. Baud rate mismatch, Arduino unpowered, such stuff. Also make sure CPU Clock Rate (Configtool -> Board -> CPU) matches your Arduino.
Checked the clock and it's 16meg, same as in config, in fact 16meg it the only available frequency for atmega328p in configtool. Since 57600 Baud rate worked for uploading the firmware i set 57600 Baud rate in both pronterface and configtool but it still doesn't connect.
Interestingly whenever i connect the arduino to a USB port it gives me a blink code of 3-2-2-2-2-3 (i think), whenever i connect the arduino to a power bank it just gives me a single blink.
Could it be that pronterface is not finding my config.h? Would it even make any difference? I did install pronterface after i had all my teacup stuff installed, i doubt this should make any difference.
Attachments:
open | download - arduino16Mclock.png (24.7 KB)
January 22, 2018 08:46AM
scrub
Since 57600 Baud rate worked for uploading the firmware i set 57600 Baud rate in both pronterface and configtool but it still doesn't connect.

Bootloader baud rate and firmware baud rate can be the same, but don't have to. Bootloader and firmware are two entirely independent pieces of software. Teacup defaults to 115200 baud.

scrub
Interestingly whenever i connect the arduino to a USB port it gives me a blink code of 3-2-2-2-2-3 (i think), whenever i connect the arduino to a power bank it just gives me a single blink.

Fruitless attempts by Pronterface to send something let this port blink, too. And quite a number of operating systems try to detect a modem on newly plugged devices, which causes some communications, too.

scrub
Could it be that pronterface is not finding my config.h?

Pronterface doesn't even try to find firmware source code. It communicates with the controller, only.

January 22, 2018 12:04PM
My only guess now would be that the software was made with the FTDI controller in mind and is having problems with the CH340. But the way it's behaving now is very similar to how it was behaving when i was having problems with the firmware upload, that time it turned out to be a Baud issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login