Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is an M4 thread too small to use with PEEK?

Posted by HereinCS 
Is an M4 thread too small to use with PEEK?
April 13, 2011 10:12PM
I'm thinking of using an m4 thread for the hot end and screw that into a peek rod. Is it too small? Should I go with m6?
Re: Is an M4 thread too small to use with PEEK?
April 14, 2011 03:47AM
you mean the supports going down from the extruder base to the peek block? you would be better off going smaller, m3 could do the job fine and won't transmit as much heat up to the area of the extruder you want cold
April 14, 2011 04:49AM
Well, if it is geared or wade style. M4 rod would go out of peek with the preasure you apply to your flament. But if you are going to use 1.75mm feed filament and check temperature very carefuly. M4 might work.

In my experience, even M6 goes out of PEEK in some cases.
April 14, 2011 06:44AM
If you drill an M4 screw for a 3 mm filament, I think that the walls would be too thin. Also, it would be better to screw the peek rod into a brass tip than the other way around. PEEK will expand when it gets hot. This could result in a leak. Also, there it's not as slippery as PTFE. Most designs using PEEK includes a PTFE liner to reduce friction. This would require an even bigger thread. See Adrian's hot end designs in the wiki.
April 14, 2011 10:22AM
That's interesting. Due to the slight expansion of the PEEK, it's better to screw Peek into metal rather than metal into PEEK? That seems like good advice.
April 14, 2011 11:07AM
@HereinCS Are you thinking about something like this. Something along those lines should work for 1.75mm ABS. IIRC it uses an M4 barrel.
April 14, 2011 11:26AM
Yes. Similar to that. Do you have any problems with the threads leaking? Does the PTFE to all the way down to the tip or just to the end of the PEEK section?
April 14, 2011 11:32AM
That is solid PEEK, no liner. So, if you want to use it with PLA, you'll need to actively cool the PEEK. The issue with PEEK and PLA is not friction, it is heat. PLA softens at a lower than ABS and gets sticky. As long as the PEEK temp remains low enough it will work with ABS and PEEK. Temp gets too high it won't work with either...
April 14, 2011 11:49AM
If you don't mind;

1. Doesn't black PEEK have 5x the thermo conductivity of plain PEEK? Would your heat issue be lessened with plain PEEK?
2. I like the look of black PEEK, but plan to use a PTFE liner to lessen the heat transfer. Was there a reason you didn't use the teflon liner?
April 14, 2011 12:48PM
1) Do you mean a different grade of PEEK?
2) I made that in Sept., only 1.75mm ABS was available at the time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login