Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Volcano hot-end, any good on normal size printer?

Posted by HugoW 
Volcano hot-end, any good on normal size printer?
January 31, 2018 03:57PM
Hi,

I bought some new gizmos amongst which a V6-like hotend. It came with both a normal and a Volcano heater thing. I would like to stick to my 0.4 mm nozzle size, 0.2 mm layer height and my printer is not very big, although bigger than regular at 400 x 400 x 250 mm. Does the Volcano set-up add anything? Should I be able to increase speed, any other advantages? I print regular 1.75 mm PLA.

Cheers,

Hugo
Re: Volcano hot-end, any good on normal size printer?
January 31, 2018 04:39PM
Sure why not? If you like to fill your print volume then a volcano will always help. A print that fills your print volume will still take 24+ hours with a normal nozzle so volcano will be advantageous.

It also depends what you print.. Smooth mechanical parts will be great, detailed models not so much. I'd rather keep the 0.4 nozzle personally for its versatility

Edit - just seen what you are asking. The volcano will add a larger melt area. Filament could end up being overheated, retraction could be an issue. You will want to print fast, you should be able to print faster (in theory, your actual printer may not let you though). Do you find yourself currently limited by a standard heater block?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2018 04:41PM by Origamib.
January 31, 2018 06:07PM
I have a volcano on UMMD with a 0.8 mm nozzle. I've been struggling to get decent print quality out of it. It works fine for things like spiral vases, but there some odd behavior with retraction that I'm having a lot of trouble fixing. I think the problem is the nozzle size, not the heater block. It's probably fine with a 0.4 mm nozzle.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 01, 2018 02:03AM
The volcano is great for PETG. It seems to need more energy to melt fully. I also believe, layer seperation issues you see with ABS and 0.4 nozzle are less with the bigger nozzles. I can finally print massive parts from ABS without cracking. And it makes my 0.8mm Prusa almost as fast as my Delta with 0.4mm.
February 01, 2018 06:42AM
Hmmm, so basically there is no real reason if I stick to PLA, 0,4mm nozzle and normal printing. I'll keep it asside and might fool around with it a bit later.

Cheers,

Hugo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login